watching live tv overnight and in the morning it had exited with the same
error. This machine was put together from various used/spare bits so it
could easily be a hardware problem and I'm running memtest86 right now to
eliminate the possibility of memory problems. What I need to know is "Does
the incorrect codes error indicate corrupted data or could it be something
else completely?

--
Ray
Re: Mythtv crash with "incorrect codes" [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Dec 16, 2002 at 11:18:59AM -0700, Ray wrote:

> I just swapped the computer I was using for myth for a different one
> booting and storing it's files over NFS and I'm having some problems.
> Initially mythtv seems to work fine but after some random period of time
> while watching live tv (maybe 15-45min) mythtv will exit. The only error
> I see in the terminal that I started myth from is "incorrect codes". Myth
> is NOT segfaulting so the only thing I can think of is that the data is
> getting corrupted during capture, storage or retrieval. I also tried
> storing the ringbuffer on a local disk and it seemed to fix the problem
> but I left it watching live tv overnight and in the morning it had exited
> with the same error. This machine was put together from various
> used/spare bits so it could easily be a hardware problem and I'm running
> memtest86 right now to eliminate the possibility of memory problems. What
> I need to know is "Does the incorrect codes error indicate corrupted data
> or could it be something else completely?

That is an internal libavcodec error. It could probably be anything,
including corruption of the compressed stream or memory corruption; I didn't
try to narrow it down. I would suspect your hardware first, then maybe your
compiler.

Good tests might include:

- capture something with ffmpeg and play it back with mplayer or xine or
such, to take mythtv out of the equation
- make a scheduled recording in mythtv, and see if it crashes at the same
spot on playback

--
- mdz
Re: Mythtv crash with "incorrect codes" [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Dec 16, 2002 at 02:49:05PM -0500, Matt Zimmerman wrote:

> That is an internal libavcodec error. It could probably be anything,
> including corruption of the compressed stream or memory corruption; I didn't
> try to narrow it down. I would suspect your hardware first, then maybe your
> compiler.

Thanks, the memory and disk tested out OK. I also did some testing with
the mjpeg tools to get an idea of what this hardware (Duron 650 96MB ram)
could handle. No obvious problems except that the load, specifically the
"system" load as shown in top, seems higher then I remember from my other
box (dual celeron 500s) but I've still got around 30% idle while watching TV
so that's OK. The only things I've changed are to drop the quality (I'm
using hardware mjpeg) to 60 and turn back on audio compression. In any
event the problem seems gone now. I've been recording/playing/playing_live
most of the afternoon without a crash.

BTW for anyone planning it, the performance over NFS seems pretty decent.
According to xnetload I'm transferring around 1MB/s in each direction while
watching live TV. While recording and watching I'm sending 1.8MB/s and
FF/RW starts to get a bit sluggish but it's still quite viewable.

--
Ray