Mailing List Archive

[PATCH] mythgallery: move .thumbcache out of image directory
This small patch adds a checkbox to the MythGallery Settings page where
the user can choose between the current functionality of storing
.thumbcache directories inside the image directory or storing them in
~/.mythtv/mythgallery/

This makes it possible to use MythGallery to browse a read-only
directory

Eggert
Re: [PATCH] mythgallery: move .thumbcache out of image directory [ In reply to ]
On 15.4.2005, at 22:20, Eggert Thorlacius wrote:

> This small patch adds a checkbox to the MythGallery Settings page
> where the user can choose between the current functionality of storing
> .thumbcache directories inside the image directory or storing them in
> ~/.mythtv/mythgallery/
>
> This makes it possible to use MythGallery to browse a read-only
> directory
>
> Eggert

A repost, in case anyone is actually interested in this patch. This
version uses MythContext::GetConfDir() instead of being hardwired to
~/.mythtv/

Eggert
Re: [PATCH] mythgallery: move .thumbcache out of image directory [ In reply to ]
On Friday 15 April 2005 06:20 pm, Eggert Thorlacius wrote:
> This small patch adds a checkbox to the MythGallery Settings page where
> the user can choose between the current functionality of storing
> .thumbcache directories inside the image directory or storing them in
> ~/.mythtv/mythgallery/
>
> This makes it possible to use MythGallery to browse a read-only
> directory

This would be neat if it just automatically fell back to the ~/.mythtv/ dir if
writing to the image directory failed, instead of having a separate config
option for it..

Isaac
_______________________________________________
mythtv-dev mailing list
mythtv-dev@mythtv.org
http://mythtv.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-dev
Re: [PATCH] mythgallery: move .thumbcache out of image directory [ In reply to ]
2005/5/3, Isaac Richards <ijr@case.edu>:
> On Friday 15 April 2005 06:20 pm, Eggert Thorlacius wrote:
> > This small patch adds a checkbox to the MythGallery Settings page where
> > the user can choose between the current functionality of storing
> > .thumbcache directories inside the image directory or storing them in
> > ~/.mythtv/mythgallery/
> >
> > This makes it possible to use MythGallery to browse a read-only
> > directory
>
> This would be neat if it just automatically fell back to the ~/.mythtv/ dir if
> writing to the image directory failed, instead of having a separate config
> option for it..

I actually have write access to my image directory. Unfortunatelly
every application tries to put thumbnails into it and I was able to
turn off this "feature" for almost all programs. It's hard to makes
backups of the 10GB big image directory, when it permanently changes.

It would be really great to have a possibility to change the
thumbcache directory to ~/.mythtv/mythgallery/ even if there's write
access to it.

Adam
_______________________________________________
mythtv-dev mailing list
mythtv-dev@mythtv.org
http://mythtv.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-dev
Re: [PATCH] mythgallery: move .thumbcache out of image directory [ In reply to ]
On Tuesday 03 May 2005 04:46 am, Adam Egger wrote:
> 2005/5/3, Isaac Richards <ijr@case.edu>:
> > On Friday 15 April 2005 06:20 pm, Eggert Thorlacius wrote:
> > > This small patch adds a checkbox to the MythGallery Settings page where
> > > the user can choose between the current functionality of storing
> > > .thumbcache directories inside the image directory or storing them in
> > > ~/.mythtv/mythgallery/
> > >
> > > This makes it possible to use MythGallery to browse a read-only
> > > directory
> >
> > This would be neat if it just automatically fell back to the ~/.mythtv/
> > dir if writing to the image directory failed, instead of having a
> > separate config option for it..
>
> I actually have write access to my image directory. Unfortunatelly
> every application tries to put thumbnails into it and I was able to
> turn off this "feature" for almost all programs. It's hard to makes
> backups of the 10GB big image directory, when it permanently changes.
>
> It would be really great to have a possibility to change the
> thumbcache directory to ~/.mythtv/mythgallery/ even if there's write
> access to it.

Or just check for other programs' thumbnails.

Isaac
_______________________________________________
mythtv-dev mailing list
mythtv-dev@mythtv.org
http://mythtv.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-dev
Re: [PATCH] mythgallery: move .thumbcache out of image directory [ In reply to ]
> A repost, in case anyone is actually interested in this patch. This
> version uses MythContext::GetConfDir() instead of being hardwired to
> ~/.mythtv/


I'm really interested in such a patch. It's been in my Todo list for a
very long time...

I mount my photos dir read only to myth because I am just too paranoid
about something nasty happening and zapping them all. I now just have
too many photos that occasional DVD backups is all that is practical...

Thanks, will try it out shortly

Ed W
_______________________________________________
mythtv-dev mailing list
mythtv-dev@mythtv.org
http://mythtv.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-dev
Re: [PATCH] mythgallery: move .thumbcache out of image directory [ In reply to ]
>> I actually have write access to my image directory. Unfortunatelly
>> every application tries to put thumbnails into it and I was able to
>> turn off this "feature" for almost all programs. It's hard to makes
>> backups of the 10GB big image directory, when it permanently changes.
>>
>> It would be really great to have a possibility to change the
>> thumbcache directory to ~/.mythtv/mythgallery/ even if there's write
>> access to it.
>>
>
> Or just check for other programs' thumbnails.

To be quite honest, I didn't realize that this would be handy for
read-only directories until I was half-way through writing the
patch. I just don't like metadata mixed with my 'real' data (whether
it is written by MythTV or others). I load the photos off my camera
to my laptop and run a script that rsyncs them to the server. Then I
run another script to rsync them from the server to my wifes'
machine. Before the patch, whenever we browsed the photos on the
server in MythGallery, my wifes photo library would fill up
with .thumcache dirs.
Plus, it is a consistency issue: MythMusic doesn't store its metadata
in the music dir, MythVideo doesn't store data in the video dir. Why
should MythGallery?

Eggert
Re: [PATCH] mythgallery: move .thumbcache out of image directory [ In reply to ]
> On 15.4.2005, at 22:20, Eggert Thorlacius wrote:
>
>> This small patch adds a checkbox to the MythGallery Settings page
>> where the user can choose between the current functionality of
>> storing .thumbcache directories inside the image directory or storing
>> them in ~/.mythtv/mythgallery/
>>
>> This makes it possible to use MythGallery to browse a read-only
>> directory
>

I'm not sure if there was a reason why this patch never made it to CVS,
but it works really nicely for me (I mount my photos share read-only for
safety...).

I have modified it so that actually the settings flag acts as an
over-ride, but actually it also uses the local home dir if it finds that
the gallery dir is read-only for any reason. This means that you can
eithe force it locally or let it auto-detect. Perhaps this removes one
of the main objections from before?

Ed W
Re: [PATCH] mythgallery: move .thumbcache out of image directory [ In reply to ]
On 23.5.2005, at 14:14, Ed W wrote:

>
>
>> On 15.4.2005, at 22:20, Eggert Thorlacius wrote:
>>
>>
>>> This small patch adds a checkbox to the MythGallery Settings page
>>> where the user can choose between the current functionality of
>>> storing .thumbcache directories inside the image directory or
>>> storing them in ~/.mythtv/mythgallery/
>>>
>>> This makes it possible to use MythGallery to browse a read-only
>>> directory
>>>
>>
>>
>
> I'm not sure if there was a reason why this patch never made it to
> CVS, but it works really nicely for me (I mount my photos share
> read-only for safety...).
>
> I have modified it so that actually the settings flag acts as an
> over-ride, but actually it also uses the local home dir if it finds
> that the gallery dir is read-only for any reason. This means that
> you can eithe force it locally or let it auto-detect. Perhaps this
> removes one of the main objections from before?


The way I understoood Isaacs comment, that was indeed the reason why
it was not applied. I was going to change it but never had the time
and now you seem to have beat me to it.
One thing I was wondering about, though: If the code falls back to
~/.mythtv when the gallery dir is read-only, do we still need the
checkbox? Wouldn't it be enough to mention it in the docs that if
you don't like .thumbcache dirs, you should not give the mythtv user
write access to the image dir?

Eggert