Hi All,

I am going through the documentation on mod_perl filters at the link below:

http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/user/handlers/filters.html

Examples set a buffer size to process the content held in the buffer like:

use constant BUFF_LEN => 1024;

What is the best approach to reach most optimum buffer size? Is there a best practices like guideline here?

Thanks,
Rommel.
Re: mod_perl Filters: Selecting the most appropriate buffer size [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 7:16 AM, Rommel Sharma <rsharma51@sapient.com>wrote:

> Hi All,****
>
> ** **
>
> I am going through the documentation on mod_perl filters at the link below:
> ****
>
> ** **
>
> http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/user/handlers/filters.html****
>
> ** **
>
> ** **
>
> Examples set a buffer size to process the content held in the buffer like:
> ****
>
> ** **
>
> use constant BUFF_LEN => 1024;****
>
> ** **
>
> What is the best approach to reach most optimum buffer size? Is there a
> best practices like guideline here?

Not sure about mod_perl specifics, but the tradeoff with buffer sizes is
generally that larger buffers give better overall throughput, at the cost
of more memory and latency. On a disk, using a number that is a multiple
of the filesystem block size will usually give the best performance. With
data coming from the network or a script, I don't think it will matter
much. You can certainly try different values and measure the results, but
anything 1K or more will probably be OK.

Hope this helps,

------Scott.
RE: mod_perl Filters: Selecting the most appropriate buffer size [ In reply to ]
Scott,

Many thanks for the inputs. This definitely helps. Will be testing out the performance with different buffer size 1K and higher.

Rommel.