(2.0.5) doesn't build with it! Surely we should get a 2.0.6 out there?

The SVN trunk is working fine for me on Win32 with VC++ 2010, perl
5.14.2 and apache 2.2.21.
Re: 2.0.6? [ In reply to ]
On 11-11-22 03:47 , Steve Hay wrote:
> What are we waiting for before releasing 2.0.6?

Someone to step up and put on the release manager hat ;-)

> Perl 5.14 has been out for ages now, but the current mod_perl release
> (2.0.5) doesn't build with it! Surely we should get a 2.0.6 out there?

I agree.

> The SVN trunk is working fine for me on Win32 with VC++ 2010, perl
> 5.14.2 and apache 2.2.21.

Excellent! That was one of the pending items, actually.

Fred did mention he'd have more time available for things mod_perl-y
soon, so he might be tempted to run the release.

Otherwise, I am tempted to just roll what we have on trunk as a 2.0.6 RC
soon, and start working on a plan for 2.0.7.

Thoughts ?

--
Philippe M. Chiasson GPG: F9BFE0C2480E7680 1AE53631CB32A107 88C3A5A5
http://gozer.ectoplasm.org/ m/gozer\@(apache|cpan|ectoplasm)\.org/
RE: 2.0.6? [ In reply to ]
Philippe M. Chiasson wrote on 2011-11-22:
> On 11-11-22 03:47 , Steve Hay wrote:
>> What are we waiting for before releasing 2.0.6?
>
> Someone to step up and put on the release manager hat ;-)

I would offer to don it, but am not qualified to wear it AFAIK!

>> Perl 5.14 has been out for ages now, but the current mod_perl release
>> (2.0.5) doesn't build with it! Surely we should get a 2.0.6 out
there?

> I agree.
>
>> The SVN trunk is working fine for me on Win32 with VC++ 2010, perl
>> 5.14.2 and apache 2.2.21.
>
> Excellent! That was one of the pending items, actually.

(Actually, I should say that I do have three tests failing, but one of
those failed in my 2.0.5 + 5.12.2 build anyway, and my current trunk +
5.14.2 build is working fine for me _in practice_.)

> Fred did mention he'd have more time available for things mod_perl-y
> soon, so he might be tempted to run the release.
>
> Otherwise, I am tempted to just roll what we have on trunk as a 2.0.6
RC
> soon, and start working on a plan for 2.0.7.
>
> Thoughts ?

I will look at the test failures that I had, but even if there isn't a
quick fix for them then I still think it's worth rolling a release that
works with 5.14, and fixing the minor test failures can be the first
thing on the plan for 2.0.7!

Re: 2.0.6? [ In reply to ]
On Tuesday, 22 November 2011 13:05:57 Philippe M. Chiasson wrote:
> Otherwise, I am tempted to just roll what we have on trunk as a 2.0.6 RC
> soon, and start working on a plan for 2.0.7.
>
> Thoughts ?

+1

Do we have to go through the A::SL, A::T etc loop? I believe that's not
necessary.

Torsten Förtsch

Like fantasy? http://kabatinte.net

Re: 2.0.6? [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 10:05 AM, Philippe M. Chiasson <gozer@apache.org> wrote:
> On 11-11-22 03:47 , Steve Hay wrote:
>> What are we waiting for before releasing 2.0.6?
>
> Someone to step up and put on the release manager hat ;-)

> Fred did mention he'd have more time available for things mod_perl-y
> soon, so he might be tempted to run the release.

Happy to do so :)

> Otherwise, I am tempted to just roll what we have on trunk as a 2.0.6 RC
> soon, and start working on a plan for 2.0.7.

Apache-Test and SizeLimit both need to be released before 2.0.6 can go
out. SizeLimit was at RC2 several months ago, but I couldn't rally
enough votes to make it happen.
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/modperl/dev/103330?search_string=SizeLimit;#103330

Did we get any feedback from the ASF board about exempting the
Apache::* modules from the voting process?
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/modperl/dev/103444?search_string=SizeLimit;#103444

We'll need to get 9 votes total to release 2.0.6 (3 for A-T, 3 for
A-SL, and 3 for 2.0.6).

I don't think there is anything else stopping us besides votes right now.

RE: 2.0.6? [ In reply to ]
Steve Hay wrote on 2011-11-22:
> Philippe M. Chiasson wrote on 2011-11-22:
>> On 11-11-22 03:47 , Steve Hay wrote:
>>> The SVN trunk is working fine for me on Win32 with VC++ 2010, perl
>>> 5.14.2 and apache 2.2.21.
>>
>> Excellent! That was one of the pending items, actually.
>>

> (Actually, I should say that I do have three tests failing, but one of
> those failed in my 2.0.5 + 5.12.2 build anyway, and my current trunk +
> 5.14.2 build is working fine for me _in practice_.)

[...]
> I will look at the test failures that I had, but even if there isn't a
> quick fix for them then I still think it's worth rolling a release
that
> works with 5.14, and fixing the minor test failures can be the first
> thing on the plan for 2.0.7!

A couple of the test failures were due to the new LWP, which I hadn't
realized were fixed already in SVN. I think I'd pulled the core C code
changes into a 2.0.5 build and tried that, so I hadn't picked up those
fixes!

Now that I've actually tried the current trunk for real, those problems
go away and I'm left with two failing tests: the test that has failed
for a long time anyway (apache/subprocess tests 2-5), plus a new failure
caused by rev. 1145161: moving <LimitExcept> into a <Directory />.
Unfortunately, that change to cmdparams.pm actually crashes httpd.exe
with the message "panic: free from wrong pool." in the error_log right
at the start of "nmake test" :-(

Is there some other way to workaround httpd-2.3's change to where
<LimitExcept> is allowed?

Re: 2.0.6? [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 10:58 AM, Fred Moyer <fred@redhotpenguin.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 10:05 AM, Philippe M. Chiasson <gozer@apache.org> wrote:
>> On 11-11-22 03:47 , Steve Hay wrote:
>>> What are we waiting for before releasing 2.0.6?
>>
>> Someone to step up and put on the release manager hat ;-)
>
>> Fred did mention he'd have more time available for things mod_perl-y
>> soon, so he might be tempted to run the release.

RC candidate error correction below.

>> Otherwise, I am tempted to just roll what we have on trunk as a 2.0.6 RC
>> soon, and start working on a plan for 2.0.7.
>
> Apache-Test and SizeLimit both need to be released before 2.0.6 can go
> out.  SizeLimit was at RC2 several months ago, but I couldn't rally
> enough votes to make it happen.
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/modperl/dev/103330?search_string=SizeLimit;#103330

Looking at the thread, I was in error. Here is the current release candidate.

http://people.apache.org/~phred/Apache-SizeLimit-0.96-rc1.tar.gz

> Did we get any feedback from the ASF board about exempting the
> Apache::* modules from the voting process?
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/modperl/dev/103444?search_string=SizeLimit;#103444

I still think this would be a win.

Philippe, can you help us determine the next steps?

Re: 2.0.6? [ In reply to ]
On Wednesday, 07 December 2011 22:40:49 Fred Moyer wrote:
> Looking at the thread, I was in error. Here is the current release
> candidate.
>
> http://people.apache.org/~phred/Apache-SizeLimit-0.96-rc1.tar.gz

+1

Tested with my setup (self compiled apache 2.2.21, perl 5.12.3, modperl
threading branch) on opensuse 12.1 and 11.1 with -order=random in a shell loop
for about an hour.

t/TEST -start-httpd
while t/TEST -order=random -run-tests; do :; done

In the error_log I see one "Apache2::SizeLimit httpd process too big..."
message for each run of t/apache2/zzz_check_n_requests.t which is expected.

I further see another such message for every 3rd run of the whole test suite
on average which puzzels me a bit but is probably okay given the nature of
what is tested.

Re: 2.0.6? [ In reply to ]

Re: 2.0.6? [ In reply to ]
On 11-12-08 10:47 AM, Adam Prime wrote:
> On 11-12-08 01:40 AM, Fred Moyer wrote:
>
>> Looking at the thread, I was in error. Here is the current release
>> candidate.
>>
>> http://people.apache.org/~phred/Apache-SizeLimit-0.96-rc1.tar.gz
>
> +1

For the record, tested on

SunOS www01-dtest 5.10 Generic_144489-06 i86pc i386 i86pc Solaris

w/ perl 5.8.8 and mp 2.0.5

I also ran torsten's while loop thing (though only for about 10 minutes)
and everything was also fine.

Adam

Re: 2.0.6? [ In reply to ]
On Thursday, December 8, 2011 at 8:07 AM, Adam Prime wrote:
> On 11-12-08 10:47 AM, Adam Prime wrote:
> > On 11-12-08 01:40 AM, Fred Moyer wrote:
> >
> > > Looking at the thread, I was in error. Here is the current release
> > > candidate.
> > >
> > > http://people.apache.org/~phred/Apache-SizeLimit-0.96-rc1.tar.gz
> >
> > +1

+1 on OS X, 5.14.2, 2.2.21