user ALL = (ALL) NOPASSWD: ALL
root ALL = (ALL) NOPASSWD: ALL

at the end.

Marius Gedminas
--
Since this protocol deals with Firewalls there are no real security
considerations.
-- RFC 3093
Re: Getting root on OS2008 [ In reply to ]
Hi Marius,

This info looks like a good candidate for the next 'howdoibecomeroot' page on maemo wiki :).

Seriously we should probably have only one page for all 'become root' recipes.

Just one suggestion. '4. Open xterm' item in your list looks a bit confusing for me.
I'd replace it with something like 'run your favorite ssh client on your desktop'.

--
Best regards,
Ed
Re: Getting root on OS2008 [ In reply to ]
Marius Gedminas <marius@pov.lt> writes:

> Easy!
>
> 1. Enable the Maemo Extras repository
> 2. Install openssh
> 3. Define a root password (openssh's installer prompts you for this)

Doesn't ask anything here with N800.

Red pill + 'sudo gainroot' doesn't work either for me:

~ $ sudo gainroot
cal_read_block(r&d_mode): size zero, block not found?
Enable RD mode if you want to break your device

Re: Getting root on OS2008 [ In reply to ]
On Dec 30, 2007 12:42 PM, Ari Yrjölä <ayrjola@nospam.invalid> wrote:
> Marius Gedminas <marius@pov.lt> writes:
>
> > 1. Enable the Maemo Extras repository
> > 2. Install openssh
> > 3. Define a root password (openssh's installer prompts you for this)
>
> Doesn't ask anything here with N800.

There seem to be a couple of different openssh packages. Only one
asked me to enter a new root account password, the other was more
"traditional".

> Red pill + 'sudo gainroot' doesn't work either for me:

"Red pill" mode only affects the Application Manager, and disables
checks in the GUI which prevent the direct installation of packages
which don't start with a section of "user/".

"sudo gainroot" will only work as a command in these cases:

1) R&D mode is enabled using the command line flasher or 0xFFFF
2) The "becomeroot" package is installed (easiest way, IMHO).

There are other mechanisms for getting root access, though, Marius
outlines one using SSH, for example. However, these only enable "sudo
gainroot" to work if the /usr/sbin/gainroot script is modified once
root access is available.

Hope that helps,

Andrew

--
Andrew Flegg -- mailto:andrew@bleb.org | http://www.bleb.org/
Re: Getting root on OS2008 [ In reply to ]
Ari Yrjölä wrote:
> Marius Gedminas <marius@pov.lt> writes:
>
>> Easy!
>>
>> 1. Enable the Maemo Extras repository
>> 2. Install openssh
>> 3. Define a root password (openssh's installer prompts you for this)
>
> Doesn't ask anything here with N800.

Did work for me with n800 & os2008.

> Red pill + 'sudo gainroot' doesn't work either for me:

Red pill mode and "sudo gainroot" doesn't have anything to do with each
other.

> ~ $ sudo gainroot
> cal_read_block(r&d_mode): size zero, block not found?
> Enable RD mode if you want to break your device

You need to use the linux flasher tool to enable the R&D mode and to get
the "sudo gainroot" to work. The ssh thing is easier though.

--
Tuomas
Re: Getting root on OS2008 [ In reply to ]
"Andrew Flegg" <andrew@bleb.org> writes:

> On Dec 30, 2007 12:42 PM, Ari Yrjölä <ayrjola@nospam.invalid> wrote:
>> Marius Gedminas <marius@pov.lt> writes:
>>
>> > 1. Enable the Maemo Extras repository
>> > 2. Install openssh
>> > 3. Define a root password (openssh's installer prompts you for this)
>>
>> Doesn't ask anything here with N800.
>
> There seem to be a couple of different openssh packages. Only one
> asked me to enter a new root account password, the other was more
> "traditional".

Ach. I think there was some other openssh in extras-devel, but it
refused to install. Cannot see it there now. Maemo-extras has
version 1:4.6p1-5maemo3, which doesn't ask anything.

I used dropbear-ssh with OS2007, and getting root was easy, as root's
password was always 'rootme'. Dropbear installer didn't say anything
about this huge security hole though.

Re: Getting root on OS2008 [ In reply to ]
Ed Bartosh wrote:

> Just one suggestion. '4. Open xterm' item in your list looks a bit confusing for me.
> I'd replace it with something like 'run your favorite ssh client on your desktop'.

That change to step 4 would complicate step 5; you'd have to know where
to reach the tablet, you might not have network or your favorite ssh
client or a desktop available, etc. ...iow, it would take prerequisites
that aren't known to be available.

> On Sun, 2007-12-30 at 01:00, ext Marius Gedminas wrote:
>> Easy!
>>
>> 1. Enable the Maemo Extras repository
>> 2. Install openssh
>> 3. Define a root password (openssh's installer prompts you for this)
>> 4. Open xterm
>> 5. ssh root@localhost
>> Type the password you set in step 3.

't.
Re: Getting root on OS2008 [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Dec 30, 2007 at 06:40:31PM +0200, Ari Yrjölä wrote:
> "Andrew Flegg" <andrew@bleb.org> writes:

> >> Doesn't ask anything here with N800.
> >
> > There seem to be a couple of different openssh packages. Only one
> > asked me to enter a new root account password, the other was more
> > "traditional".
>
> Ach. I think there was some other openssh in extras-devel, but it
> refused to install. Cannot see it there now. Maemo-extras has
> version 1:4.6p1-5maemo3, which doesn't ask anything.

This is the version that I installed.

According to /var/lib/dpkg/info/openssh-server.postinst, it only asks
for a new root password when you install openssh-server, not when you
upgrade.

Marius Gedminas
--
System going down at 5 this afternoon to install scheduler bug.
Re: Getting root on OS2008 [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Dec 30, 2007 at 12:42:38PM +0200, Ed Bartosh wrote:
> Hi Marius,
>
> This info looks like a good candidate for the next 'howdoibecomeroot'
> page on maemo wiki :).
>
> Seriously we should probably have only one page for all 'become root'
> recipes.

+1

Where are the existing ones? I found

http://maemo.org/community/wiki/howdoibecomeroot/
http://maemo.org/community/wiki/HowTo_EASILY_BecomeRoot
http://maemo.org/community/wiki/hardwaytobecomeroot/

(I'm ignoring the ones with /oldwiki/ in the URL)

Are there more?

> Just one suggestion. '4. Open xterm' item in your list looks a bit
> confusing for me. I'd replace it with something like 'run your
> favorite ssh client on your desktop'.

The nice thing about xterm is that it's preinstalled and doesn't require
you to have another computer.

The nice thing about using your favourite ssh client is that you get to
use a normal keyboard.

Marius Gedminas
--
Microsoft -- because God hates us.
Re: Getting root on OS2008 [ In reply to ]
2007/12/30, Ari Yrjölä <ayrjola@nospam.invalid>:

> Red pill + 'sudo gainroot' doesn't work either for me:
>
> ~ $ sudo gainroot
> cal_read_block(r&d_mode): size zero, block not found?
> Enable RD mode if you want to break your device

You need to install the 'becomeroot' package.
See: http://maemo.org/community/wiki/HowTo_EASILY_BecomeRoot
Re: Getting root on OS2008 [ In reply to ]
2007/12/30, Ed Bartosh <Eduard.Bartosh@nokia.com>:

> Just one suggestion. '4. Open xterm' item in your list looks a bit
> confusing for me.
> I'd replace it with something like 'run your favorite ssh client on your
> desktop'.

I think Marius is just talking about how to become root opening a ssh
session directly from the device, not from desktop...
Re: Getting root on OS2008 [ In reply to ]
2007/12/30, Marius Gedminas <marius@pov.lt>:

> http://maemo.org/community/wiki/HowTo_EASILY_BecomeRoot

I created this one, so please don't delete it ;-)

The nice thing about using your favourite ssh client is that you get to
> use a normal keyboard.

That's truly fine, I usually connect to my 770 via my Linux Desktop.
Re: Getting root on OS2008 [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 2007-12-30 at 19:24 +0200, ext Tuukka Tolvanen wrote:
> Ed Bartosh wrote:
>
> > Just one suggestion. '4. Open xterm' item in your list looks a bit confusing for me.
> > I'd replace it with something like 'run your favorite ssh client on your desktop'.
>
> That change to step 4 would complicate step 5; you'd have to know where
> to reach the tablet, you might not have network or your favorite ssh
> client or a desktop available, etc. ...iow, it would take prerequisites
> that aren't known to be available.

Sorry, I didn't understand that Marius proposed to run ssh client on the
tablet.

It looks a bit strange for me to run ssh daemon just to become root
locally. I would prefer to use local solutions (becomeroot, rootsh) for
that.

--
Ed Bartosh <eduard.bartosh@nokia.com>
Nokia-M/Helsinki

Re: Getting root on OS2008 [ In reply to ]
Marius Gedminas wrote:
> Easy!
>
> 1. Enable the Maemo Extras repository
> 2. Install openssh
> 3. Define a root password (openssh's installer prompts you for this)

not on a n810, installing from the standard extras repo, openssh does
not ask for anything like that.

Re: Getting root on OS2008 [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 2007-12-30 at 14:42 +0200, ext Ari Yrjölä wrote:
> Marius Gedminas <marius@pov.lt> writes:
>
> > Easy!
> >
> > 1. Enable the Maemo Extras repository
> > 2. Install openssh
> > 3. Define a root password (openssh's installer prompts you for this)
>
> Doesn't ask anything here with N800.

It asks only when you install openssh-server first time.