murrayc@murrayc.com
www.murrayc.com
www.openismus.com

Does Maemo's Qt look like Hildon? [ In reply to ]
I'm curious about something, yet too lazy to try it myself:

When creating menus with Qt in the Maemo 5 Beta SDK, using the normal Qt
APIs, such as QMenu
http://doc.trolltech.com/4.5/qmenu.html
do they look like Maemo 5 menus?
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p=283026&postcount=35

Or is it instead necessary to use some separate Hildon-specific API?

--
murrayc@murrayc.com
www.murrayc.com

Re: Does Maemo's Qt look like Hildon? [ In reply to ]
Hi,
currently they look like standars Diablo menus.
Those kind of menus are still in fremantle and we are going to use them to
keep the compatibility
with the Qt desktop applications.
Btw similar menus could be done by the application developers themselves

We haven't talked yet about having this kind of menu in Qt for fremantle.
BTW If we will plane to have them, it
will be possible without adding Hildon-specific API.

Best regards,
Antonio

On Fri, May 15, 2009 at 5:57 PM, Murray Cumming <murrayc@murrayc.com> wrote:

> I'm curious about something, yet too lazy to try it myself:
>
> When creating menus with Qt in the Maemo 5 Beta SDK, using the normal Qt
> APIs, such as QMenu
> http://doc.trolltech.com/4.5/qmenu.html
> do they look like Maemo 5 menus?
> http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p=283026&postcount=35
>
> Or is it instead necessary to use some separate Hildon-specific API?
>
> --
> murrayc@murrayc.com
> www.murrayc.com
> www.openismus.com

Laurence J. Peter<http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/l/laurence_j_peter.html>
- "Originality is the fine art of remembering what you hear but
forgetting
where you heard it."
Re: Does Maemo's Qt look like Hildon? [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 2009-05-15 at 18:31 +0300, Antonio Aloisio wrote:
> Hi,
> currently they look like standars Diablo menus.
> Those kind of menus are still in fremantle and we are going to use
> them to keep the compatibility
> with the Qt desktop applications.
> Btw similar menus could be done by the application developers
> themselves
>
> We haven't talked yet about having this kind of menu in Qt for
> fremantle. BTW If we will plane to have them, it
> will be possible without adding Hildon-specific API.

I don't see how both aims are possible at the same time with the same
API.

--
murrayc@murrayc.com
www.murrayc.com

Re: Does Maemo's Qt look like Hildon? [ In reply to ]
Hi,
An option is putting non sub-menus QActions in the QMenuBar.
In that way the developer don't have to use maemo specific APIs.

Then Qt can
1. fetches the actions from the QMenuBar
2. checks if those QActions are not a submenus
3. Creates a Dialog with buttons with those QActions
4. Connects the dialog:show() to the title bar

BTW that's not implemented yet...

BR,
Antonio

--

Bill Cosby <http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/b/bill_cosby.html> -
"Fatherhood is pretending the present you love most is soap-on-a-rope."
Re: Does Maemo's Qt look like Hildon? [ In reply to ]
On Monday 18 May 2009 11:52:45 Antonio Aloisio wrote:
> An option is putting non sub-menus QActions in the QMenuBar.
> In that way the developer don't have to use maemo specific APIs.

Whatever the final choice, just PLEASE don't do it by breaking Qt
defaults/behavior, like the fullscreen QAction thingy :(

Re: Does Maemo's Qt look like Hildon? [ In reply to ]
What's the problem with F6?

On Mon, May 18, 2009 at 2:14 PM, Attila Csipa <maemo@csipa.in.rs> wrote:

> On Monday 18 May 2009 11:52:45 Antonio Aloisio wrote:
> > An option is putting non sub-menus QActions in the QMenuBar.
> > In that way the developer don't have to use maemo specific APIs.
>
> Whatever the final choice, just PLEASE don't do it by breaking Qt
> defaults/behavior, like the fullscreen QAction thingy :(

P. J. O'Rourke<http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/p/p_j_orourke.html>
- "Never fight an inanimate object."
Re: Does Maemo's Qt look like Hildon? [ In reply to ]
On Monday 18 May 2009 13:18:35 Antonio Aloisio wrote:
> What's the problem with F6?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Qt (in general) does not have a default QAction
for 'full screen'. This means that any app that tries to implement
full-screen switching via QAction (and that full-screen switch isn't just a
setWindowState) is broken and needs to be worked around specifically for
Maemo.

I appreciate the default handler(s) for maemo-only applications, but with Qt,
I'd much rather see the app act the same way on all platforms.
Re: Does Maemo's Qt look like Hildon? [ In reply to ]
Hi Attila

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Qt (in general) does not have a default QAction
> for 'full screen'.

Exactly

This means that any app that tries to implement
> full-screen switching via QAction (and that full-screen switch isn't just a
> setWindowState) is broken and needs to be worked around specifically for
> Maemo.

It's correct.The point is, How many applications need to implement a own
full-creen switching
QAction?
When we started to work on this port, we did some decisions. One of them was
using a QMainWindow
QAction to bind F6.

If some developers want to add an his own full-screen switching, them just
need to remove the QMainWindow
QAction that F6 as shortcut and add a new one.

BR
Antonio

> I appreciate the default handler(s) for maemo-only applications, but with
> Qt,
> I'd much rather see the app act the same way on all platforms.

--

Casey Stengel<http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/c/casey_stengel.html>
- "There comes a time in every man's life, and I've had plenty of
Re: Does Maemo's Qt look like Hildon? [ In reply to ]
On Monday 18 May 2009 14:49:46 you wrote:
> If some developers want to add an his own full-screen switching, them just
> need to remove the QMainWindow
> QAction that F6 as shortcut and add a new one.

While understand the motivation, as someone who uses Qt on 2+ platforms I
respectfully disagree with the choice/conclusion. Qt goes to great lengths to
make itself behave the same way on all platforms, and this goes against that.
IMHO one should be ENABLING additional functionality and not REWORKING
existing code just get back the functionality one already had on other
platforms. Add a -maemo command line switch (like -graphicssystem) or make it
an #include, but don't change the default.

>The point is, How many applications need to implement a own
>full-creen switching QAction?

This has come up time and again on the garage forum, so I guess it's not
exactly a white crow. I ran across this problem as my own pyqtoreader pet
project suffered from full-screen issues on Maemo.

Also, it's not only about full-screen. It also limits configurability of
shortcuts - if your application does not have non-fullscreen operation (like
games), again, you'll have to work around to be able to make use of that
button.
Re: Does Maemo's Qt look like Hildon? [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 2009-05-18 at 12:52 +0300, Antonio Aloisio wrote:
> Hi,
> An option is putting non sub-menus QActions in the QMenuBar.
> In that way the developer don't have to use maemo specific APIs.
>
> Then Qt can
> 1. fetches the actions from the QMenuBar
> 2. checks if those QActions are not a submenus
> 3. Creates a Dialog with buttons with those QActions
> 4. Connects the dialog:show() to the title bar

Although new-style Maemo 5 menus with sub-menus are discouraged, I don't
think they should be forbidden. The current C API makes it very
difficult to create them because HildonAppMenu is just a grid container,
not a menu API. But I see no reason for Qt to make the same mistake.

Of course they would not be displayed as a tree-like menu.

> BTW that's not implemented yet...

You are using a gmail email address. Do you actually work for Nokia
and/or Qt?

--
murrayc@murrayc.com
www.murrayc.com

Re: Does Maemo's Qt look like Hildon? [ In reply to ]
Hi

Although new-style Maemo 5 menus with sub-menus are discouraged, I don't
> think they should be forbidden. The current C API makes it very
> difficult to create them because HildonAppMenu is just a grid container,
> not a menu API. But I see no reason for Qt to make the same mistake.
>
> Of course they would not be displayed as a tree-like menu.

To be honest I don't know yet if we will have those menu in Qt too.
Currently I can't take other tasks, but if someone is interested in
implementing them, he/she is welcome and I'll happy to help him/her in that
job.

You are using a gmail email address. Do you actually work for Nokia
> and/or Qt?

Yes, I do. I'm a Nokia employee.

Best regards,
Antonio

Re: Does Maemo's Qt look like Hildon? [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 2009-05-18 at 23:39 +0300, Antonio Aloisio wrote:
> Hi
>
> Although new-style Maemo 5 menus with sub-menus are
> discouraged, I don't
> think they should be forbidden. The current C API makes it
> very
> difficult to create them because HildonAppMenu is just a grid
> container,
> not a menu API. But I see no reason for Qt to make the same
> mistake.
>
> Of course they would not be displayed as a tree-like menu.
>
> To be honest I don't know yet if we will have those menu in Qt too.
> Currently I can't take other tasks, but if someone is interested in
> implementing them, he/she is welcome and I'll happy to help him/her in
> that job.

While we are on the subject of Qt looking like Maemo without API
changes, how are you dealing with the need for Maemo-specific API such
as that in HildonWindow:
http://maemo.org/api_refs/5.0/beta/hildon/HildonWindow.html

I'm trying to get a general feel for how Qt can stick to its concept of
multiple platforms without API changes, though Mameo 5 seems to be the
first Qt platform with a significantly uncommon UI and API.

--
murrayc@murrayc.com
www.murrayc.com

Re: Does Maemo's Qt look like Hildon? [ In reply to ]
On Mon, May 25, 2009 at 11:19 AM, Murray Cumming <murrayc@murrayc.com>wrote:

> On Mon, 2009-05-18 at 23:39 +0300, Antonio Aloisio wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > Although new-style Maemo 5 menus with sub-menus are
> > discouraged, I don't
> > think they should be forbidden. The current C API makes it
> > very
> > difficult to create them because HildonAppMenu is just a grid
> > container,
> > not a menu API. But I see no reason for Qt to make the same
> > mistake.
> >
> > Of course they would not be displayed as a tree-like menu.
> >
> > To be honest I don't know yet if we will have those menu in Qt too.
> > Currently I can't take other tasks, but if someone is interested in
> > implementing them, he/she is welcome and I'll happy to help him/her in
> > that job.
>
> While we are on the subject of Qt looking like Maemo without API
> changes, how are you dealing with the need for Maemo-specific API such
> as that in HildonWindow:
> http://maemo.org/api_refs/5.0/beta/hildon/HildonWindow.html

This trick is possible because Maemo applications have menus, toolbars as
any normal
desktop application. Okay they look different, but we can instruct Qt to
give them the looks that
we want...
The same thing happens for the other official supported Qt platforms (mac,
s60 ans so on)

I'm trying to get a general feel for how Qt can stick to its concept of
> multiple platforms without API changes, though Mameo 5 seems to be the
> first Qt platform with a significantly uncommon UI and API.

Actually that's not the fist one...

Best wishes,
Antonio

--

Frank Lloyd Wright<http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/f/frank_lloyd_wright.html>
- "TV is chewing gum for the eyes."
Re: Does Maemo's Qt look like Hildon? [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 2009-05-25 at 12:25 +0300, Antonio Aloisio wrote:

> While we are on the subject of Qt looking like Maemo without
> API
> changes, how are you dealing with the need for Maemo-specific
> API such
> as that in HildonWindow:
> http://maemo.org/api_refs/5.0/beta/hildon/HildonWindow.html
>
> This trick is possible because Maemo applications have menus, toolbars
> as any normal
> desktop application. Okay they look different, but we can instruct Qt
> to give them the looks that
> we want...
> The same thing happens for the other official supported Qt platforms
> (mac, s60 ans so on)

Yes, I know that's the Qt philosphy, but repeating it doesn't answer my
question. For instance:

I guess, Qt windows can't usually have markup in their titles, so you'd
be changing the documented behaviour (therefore subtly changing the API)
if you parsed the regular title as markup, instead of offering separate
API:
http://maemo.org/api_refs/5.0/beta/hildon/HildonWindow.html#hildon-window-set-markup
(I think that the new API should be added to upstream GTK+ instead
anyway.)

I guess, Qt windows don't usually have a concept of "activated by the
window manager":
http://maemo.org/api_refs/5.0/beta/hildon/HildonWindow.html#hildon-window-get-is-topmost
(This is presumably something different than gtk_window_is_active():
http://library.gnome.org/devel/gtk/unstable/GtkWindow.html#gtk-window-is-active )

Also, I doubt that the Qt menu and toolbar API easily supports the idea
of one-single "edit" toolbar, introduced in Maemo 5:
http://maemo.org/api_refs/5.0/beta/hildon/HildonWindow.html#hildon-window-set-edit-toolbar

--
murrayc@murrayc.com
www.murrayc.com

Re: Does Maemo's Qt look like Hildon? [ In reply to ]
The point is that we don't want to add new "concepts" to Qt if not strictly
necessary.
The idea I keep in my mind is "We are going to adapt Qt to hildon, not
rewriting hildon with Qt".
I hope that the other people understand this too. Then we need to discard
something...

If we want to add the features that you mentioned before, well most probably
we need to add new APIs...

BR,
Antonio

--

Walt Disney <http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/w/walt_disney.html>
- "I love Mickey Mouse more than any woman I have ever known."
Re: Does Maemo's Qt look like Hildon? [ In reply to ]
Murray Cumming wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-05-25 at 12:25 +0300, Antonio Aloisio wrote:
>
>> While we are on the subject of Qt looking like Maemo without
>> API
>> changes, how are you dealing with the need for Maemo-specific
>> API such
>> as that in HildonWindow:
>> http://maemo.org/api_refs/5.0/beta/hildon/HildonWindow.html
>>
>> This trick is possible because Maemo applications have menus, toolbars
>> as any normal
>> desktop application. Okay they look different, but we can instruct Qt
>> to give them the looks that
>> we want...
>> The same thing happens for the other official supported Qt platforms
>> (mac, s60 ans so on)
>
> Yes, I know that's the Qt philosphy, but repeating it doesn't answer my
> question. For instance:
>
> I guess, Qt windows can't usually have markup in their titles, so you'd
> be changing the documented behaviour (therefore subtly changing the API)
> if you parsed the regular title as markup, instead of offering separate
> API:
> http://maemo.org/api_refs/5.0/beta/hildon/HildonWindow.html#hildon-window-set-markup
> (I think that the new API should be added to upstream GTK+ instead
> anyway.)
>
> I guess, Qt windows don't usually have a concept of "activated by the
> window manager":
> http://maemo.org/api_refs/5.0/beta/hildon/HildonWindow.html#hildon-window-get-is-topmost
> (This is presumably something different than gtk_window_is_active():
> http://library.gnome.org/devel/gtk/unstable/GtkWindow.html#gtk-window-is-active )
>
> Also, I doubt that the Qt menu and toolbar API easily supports the idea
> of one-single "edit" toolbar, introduced in Maemo 5:
> http://maemo.org/api_refs/5.0/beta/hildon/HildonWindow.html#hildon-window-set-edit-toolbar

It seems to me that there are several areas where Hildon is extending Gtk + Qt
* new hildon-specific widgets (pannable, HildonWindow...
http://maemo.org/api_refs/5.0/beta/hildon/hildonobjects.html )
* integrating/extending existing widgets (text entry + virtual keyboard)
* visual style (thin scrollbars,radiobuttons...)
* system interaction (essentially dbus and WM comms via API calls like
can_hibernate, is_topmost)

Is the aim to map to these in Hildon Qt?

In which case it would be good to identify and prioritise targets and
achievements and it would also be nice to have reference information for IPC for
things like system interaction.

I also wonder about better handling for applications not written for Maemo;
should the core widgets be extended to handle Maemo at the system interaction
level and provide derived widgets to expose the API.

David

--
"Don't worry, you'll be fine; I saw it work in a cartoon once..."
Re: Does Maemo's Qt look like Hildon? [ In reply to ]
Hi David,

IMHO most of the extended hildon widgets could be dropped.
Hildon widgets like hildon banners instead need to be integrated inside Qt.
Extended widget could be shipped in an external library if necessary.. but I
won't care about them.
About IPC Qt classes for system interaction.. I working on them...

Cheers,
Antonio

On Mon, May 25, 2009 at 2:09 PM, David Greaves <david@dgreaves.com> wrote:

> [...]
> * integrating/extending existing widgets (text entry + virtual keyboard)
> * visual style (thin scrollbars,radiobuttons...)
> * system interaction (essentially dbus and WM comms via API calls like
> can_hibernate, is_topmost)
>
> Is the aim to map to these in Hildon Qt?
>
> In which case it would be good to identify and prioritise targets and
> achievements and it would also be nice to have reference information for
> IPC for
> things like system interaction.
>
> I also wonder about better handling for applications not written for Maemo;
> should the core widgets be extended to handle Maemo at the system
> interaction
> level and provide derived widgets to expose the API.
>
> David
>
> --
> "Don't worry, you'll be fine; I saw it work in a cartoon once..."

Samuel Goldwyn<http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/s/samuel_goldwyn.html>
- "For your information, I would like to ask a question."
Re: Does Maemo's Qt look like Hildon? [ In reply to ]
Antonio Aloisio wrote:
> Hi David,
>
> IMHO most of the extended hildon widgets could be dropped.
> Hildon widgets like hildon banners instead need to be integrated inside Qt.
Agreed - there are many Qt widgets which could simply be hildonised.
I wonder about session management and hibernation for example.

> Extended widget could be shipped in an external library if necessary..
> but I won't care about them.
Sadly the version 5 gallery includes lots of deprecated widgets and few (if any)
new ones:
http://maemo.org/api_refs/5.0/beta/hildon/ch02.html
Some make sense though and I'd like to see them up for community contribution?
Ideally there would be agreement on which and what API would be acceptable and
then refinement of implementation.

> About IPC Qt classes for system interaction.. I working on them...
Is this something that can be put up on the wiki?

What's planned (ever) and where we are?

David

--
"Don't worry, you'll be fine; I saw it work in a cartoon once..."
Re: Does Maemo's Qt look like Hildon? [ In reply to ]
On Monday 25 May 2009 12:49:58 Antonio Aloisio wrote:
> The point is that we don't want to add new "concepts" to Qt if not strictly
> necessary.
> The idea I keep in my mind is "We are going to adapt Qt to hildon, not
> rewriting hildon with Qt".

A tiny caveat of which you're likely already aware of - if possible, consider
people who use Qt through bindings, like PyQt (myself included ;), Jambi,
Qyoto, etc. It would be a shame to write Qt code that would fall on it's face
or be unusable UI-wise just because of some specific changes the bindings are
not updated for.
Re: Does Maemo's Qt look like Hildon? [ In reply to ]
Hi David

On Mon, May 25, 2009 at 5:00 PM, David Greaves <david@dgreaves.com> wrote:

> Antonio Aloisio wrote:
> > Hi David,
> >
> > IMHO most of the extended hildon widgets could be dropped.
> > Hildon widgets like hildon banners instead need to be integrated inside
> Qt.
> Agreed - there are many Qt widgets which could simply be hildonised.
> I wonder about session management and hibernation for example.

But I haven't wrote anything about the hibernation yet. But I had something
similar but not
related to the memory consumation. BTW in order to use that class ( and I
think the hibernation too)
the developer will use QSettings in a slot... but we'll talk more about
these asa this work will be published.

> > Extended widget could be shipped in an external library if necessary..
> > but I won't care about them.
> Sadly the version 5 gallery includes lots of deprecated widgets and few (if
> any)
> new ones:
> http://maemo.org/api_refs/5.0/beta/hildon/ch02.html
> Some make sense though and I'd like to see them up for community
> contribution?ven
> Ideally there would be agreement on which and what API would be acceptable
> and
> then refinement of implementation.

We can do a TODO list and then define what of the new widgets we want to
have in Qt.
But some of them will be available, I'm going to have a separate package for
them.
Those widgets as the Maemo system specific libs will be shipped in an extra
package.
I hope that you agree with this.

> About IPC Qt classes for system interaction.. I working on them...
> Is this something that can be put up on the wiki?
>
> What's planned (ever) and where we are?

I' haven't published them yet. They are in my internal repos... I can't tell
more for now..

Antonio

--

Mitch Hedberg<http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/m/mitch_hedberg.html>
- "My fake plants died because I did not pretend to water them."
Re: Does Maemo's Qt look like Hildon? [ In reply to ]
Hi Attila,
The python people is my mind too.. Don't worry I'm not forget about you
guys.
BTW please follow the ML so that you can help us in that side and you can
sop
us if needed...

Some new Qt libs will be added.. they will be extra libs and there are not
python bindings for them...

Regards,
Antonio

Re: Does Maemo's Qt look like Hildon? [ In reply to ]
On Monday 25 May 2009 22:37:10 Antonio Aloisio wrote:
> Hi Attila,
> The python people is my mind too.. Don't worry I'm not forget about you
> guys.
> BTW please follow the ML so that you can help us in that side and you can
> sop
> us if needed...

Will do :) Apropo ML, I happen to notice qt4-devel@garage is not registered at
nabble (I admit, I have crossed on to the dark RSS). I presume it's missing
just because nobody had the need for nabble or RSS. I would have registered it
myself but it felt kind of silly (=wrong) to represent the list in official
matters. So I'd kindly ask the power that be to register the related Maemo qt4
lists with nabble (just like this one already is, along with -users and -
community)

> Some new Qt libs will be added.. they will be extra libs and there are not
> python bindings for them...

That's not a problem if they don't contain things that are *critical* to
run/use Qt apps on Maemo. Also, if these Qt addon libs are becoming 'official'
in the Harmattan timeframe, it would be smart to talk to Phil Thompson (PyQt
author) and possibly get official support for them in upstream PyQt (maybe it's
just me dreaming, but with a Nokia sticker on the Qt logo it doesn't sound all
that impossible).
Re: Does Maemo's Qt look like Hildon? [ In reply to ]
'morning

On Tue, May 26, 2009 at 1:19 AM, Attila Csipa <maemo@csipa.in.rs> wrote:

> On Monday 25 May 2009 22:37:10 Antonio Aloisio wrote:
> > Hi Attila,
> > The python people is my mind too.. Don't worry I'm not forget about you
> > guys.
> > BTW please follow the ML so that you can help us in that side and you can
> > sop
> > us if needed...
>

> Will do :) Apropo ML, I happen to notice qt4-devel@garage is not
> registered at nabble (I admit, I have crossed on to the dark RSS). I presume
> it's missing just because nobody had the need for nabble or RSS. I would
> have registered it myself but it felt kind of silly (=wrong) to represent
> the list in official matters. So I'd kindly ask the power that be to
> register the related Maemo qt4 lists with nabble (just like this one already
> is, along with -users and -communit

To be honest I don't know about this service.. In my understanding it
converts mails in RSS feeds... If I got correctly, then yes you can... why
not.
We are a community and all the things that can give us benefits are welcome!

> Some new Qt libs will be added.. they will be extra libs and there are not
> python bindings for them...

That's not a problem if they don't contain things that are *critical* to
> run/use Qt apps on Maemo. Also, if these Qt addon libs are becoming
> 'official' in the Harmattan timeframe, it would be smart to talk to Phil
> Thompson (PyQt author) and possibly get official support for them in
> upstream PyQt (maybe it's just me dreaming, but with a Nokia sticker on the
> Qt logo it doesn't sound all that impossible).

No they are just external libs. You can avoid to use them without any
problem..