Mailing List Archive

stlc45xx: open source WLAN driver for N800 and N810
I'm excited to announce a new project called stlc45xx, an open source
WLAN driver for Nokia N800 and N810. It's using mac80211 stack
included in Linux since 2.6.22. Even though I currently classify the
driver as alpha quality I have managed to transfer 1.2 GB of data with
iperf.

Our aim is to run the project in community mode and all community
contribution is very welcomed. A git repository will be set up soon to
make it easier for the developers to work on the driver. The project
web page will contain more information as it comes available:

http://stlc45xx.garage.maemo.org/

I recommend anyone interested about the project joining
stlc45xx-devel. Unfortunately the garage project is closed currently,
but it will be opened as soon as possible.

I'm sending this from Helsinki-Vantaa airport on my way to Berlin. I
will be giving a presentation about stlc45xx at the Maemo Summit on
Friday 15:00. See you there!

Kalle Valo
Re: stlc45xx: open source WLAN driver for N800 and N810 [ In reply to ]
Kalle Valo wrote:
> I'm excited to announce a new project called stlc45xx, an open source
> WLAN driver for Nokia N800 and N810.

Excellent news, many thanks Nokia :-) This saves our N8x0 tablets from
bitrotting. And hopefully 770 too. Now it actually makes sense to beat
linux-omap into working shape for all current tablets giving them extra
life for years.

> It's using mac80211 stack
> included in Linux since 2.6.22.

I wonder what kernel will Fremantle use. Would be nice to run it with
same kernel and switch between wi-fi stacks on the fly.

> Our aim is to run the project in community mode and all community
> contribution is very welcomed.

Will definitely try. 770 support comes to my mind first, current
stlc45xx_readXX/writeXX code uses SPI framework, 770 has the chip
connected over McBSP port. Should be posible to either resurrect direct
McBSP code back or maybe add its driver it into SPI framework.

Frantisek
Re: stlc45xx: open source WLAN driver for N800 and N810 [ In reply to ]
Kalle Valo <kalle.valo <at> nokia.com> writes:

> I'm excited to announce a new project called stlc45xx, an open source
> WLAN driver for Nokia N800 and N810.

This is wonderful news, it is one less proprietary component needed
on the tablets.

Now if you guys could just free DSME and BME, I'd have few
complaints left. :P

> I recommend anyone interested about the project joining
> stlc45xx-devel. Unfortunately the garage project is closed currently,
> but it will be opened as soon as possible.

Does this mean we cannot download the source code or does this
mean that joining the mailing list and/or the garage project is
closed?

Also, since the tablets are currently using a 2.6.21 kernel, what
is the recommended source tree (e.g. linux-omap) and/or version
to upgrade so we can test the driver?

Also, if you are free to answer this question, what is the
"officiality" of this project? Is this done with the blessing
of Conexant? Does anyone have access to documentation or is
this all done by reverse engineering?

Thanks,
Andrew

Re: stlc45xx: open source WLAN driver for N800 and N810 [ In reply to ]
Andrew,
read the http://stlc45xx.garage.maemo.org/ and you will have
answers for your questions.

Regards,
Leandro.

On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 11:14 AM, Andrew Barr
<andrew.james.barr@gmail.com> wrote:
> Kalle Valo <kalle.valo <at> nokia.com> writes:
>

>> I'm excited to announce a new project called stlc45xx, an open source
>> WLAN driver for Nokia N800 and N810.
>

> This is wonderful news, it is one less proprietary component needed
> on the tablets.
>
> Now if you guys could just free DSME and BME, I'd have few
> complaints left. :P
>
>> I recommend anyone interested about the project joining
>> stlc45xx-devel. Unfortunately the garage project is closed currently,
>> but it will be opened as soon as possible.
>
> Does this mean we cannot download the source code or does this
> mean that joining the mailing list and/or the garage project is
> closed?
>
> Also, since the tablets are currently using a 2.6.21 kernel, what
> is the recommended source tree (e.g. linux-omap) and/or version
> to upgrade so we can test the driver?
>
> Also, if you are free to answer this question, what is the
> "officiality" of this project? Is this done with the blessing
> of Conexant? Does anyone have access to documentation or is
> this all done by reverse engineering?
>
> Thanks,
> Andrew

Leandro Melo de Sales
Pervasive and Embedded Computing Laboratory
Master in Computer Science
http://embedded.ufcg.edu.br/indexen.html
+55 83 3310-1404 (extension 208)

http://www.leandrosales.com/
PGP: 0xDE492718 @ wwwkeys.pgp.net
Re: stlc45xx: open source WLAN driver for N800 and N810 [ In reply to ]
On Sep 18, 2008, at 10:14 AM, Andrew Barr wrote:

> Now if you guys could just free DSME and BME, I'd have few
> complaints left. :P

DSME is being opened.

--
Ryan Abel
Maemo Community Council chair

Re: stlc45xx: open source WLAN driver for N800 and N810 [ In reply to ]
Frantisek,

ok, you got me. "bitrotting"?

May I surmise that that is what happens to files, hw & software when you
throw them in the "bit bucket" aka "the trash-heap of digital history"?

Best Regards,

John Holmblad

Acadia Secure Networks, LLC

* *

<mailto:jholmblad@verizon.net>

Re: stlc45xx: open source WLAN driver for N800 and N810 [ In reply to ]
John Holmblad wrote:
> Frantisek,
>
> ok, you got me. "bitrotting"?
>
> May I surmise that that is what happens to files, hw & software when you
> throw them in the "bit bucket" aka "the trash-heap of digital history"?

Yes, this happens also to linux kernel and all software running on the
tablet. Having free wi-fi driver means open possibilities to have newer
systems ported to the tablet (like Android for instance) so people are
not permanently stuck with ancient software on the tablet.

Until now it was possible to use wi-fi on the tablet only with 2.6.16,
2.6.18 and 2.6.21 linux kernels (all quite old today) and only in
specifc configurations that do not break closed wi-fi driver module.

Frantisek
Re: stlc45xx: open source WLAN driver for N800 and N810 [ In reply to ]
Kalle Valo wrote:
> I'm excited to announce a new project called stlc45xx, an open source
> WLAN driver for Nokia N800 and N810. It's using mac80211 stack
> included in Linux since 2.6.22. Even though I currently classify the
> driver as alpha quality I have managed to transfer 1.2 GB of data with
> iperf.

Excellent news! our sales and marketing will love you!

> Our aim is to run the project in community mode and all community
> contribution is very welcomed. A git repository will be set up soon to
> make it easier for the developers to work on the driver. The project
> web page will contain more information as it comes available:
>
> http://stlc45xx.garage.maemo.org/
>
> I recommend anyone interested about the project joining
> stlc45xx-devel. Unfortunately the garage project is closed currently,
> but it will be opened as soon as possible.
>
> I'm sending this from Helsinki-Vantaa airport on my way to Berlin. I
> will be giving a presentation about stlc45xx at the Maemo Summit on
> Friday 15:00. See you there!

hopefully these will be recorded for those on the other side of the planet.

--
Lorn 'ljp' Potter
Software Engineer, Systems Group, Trolltech, a Nokia company
Re: stlc45xx: open source WLAN driver for N800 and N810 [ In reply to ]
Ryan Abel wrote:
> On Sep 18, 2008, at 10:14 AM, Andrew Barr wrote:
>
>> Now if you guys could just free DSME and BME, I'd have few
>> complaints left. :P
>

> DSME is being opened.

Also excellent news!

Re: stlc45xx: open source WLAN driver for N800 and N810 [ In reply to ]
Does it support packet injection :) ?

I want that featureeee :D

2008/9/18 Lorn Potter <lpotter@trolltech.com>:
> Ryan Abel wrote:
>> On Sep 18, 2008, at 10:14 AM, Andrew Barr wrote:
>>
>>> Now if you guys could just free DSME and BME, I'd have few
>>> complaints left. :P
>>

>> DSME is being opened.
>
> Also excellent news!
>

> --
> Lorn 'ljp' Potter
> Software Engineer, Systems Group, Trolltech, a Nokia company

Andrea Grandi
email: a.grandi [AT] gmail [DOT] com
website: http://www.andreagrandi.it
PGP Key: http://www.andreagrandi.it/pgp_key.asc
Re: stlc45xx: open source WLAN driver for N800 and N810 [ In reply to ]
"ext Frantisek Dufka" <dufkaf@seznam.cz> writes:

>> Our aim is to run the project in community mode and all community
>> contribution is very welcomed.
>
> Will definitely try. 770 support comes to my mind first, current
> stlc45xx_readXX/writeXX code uses SPI framework, 770 has the chip
> connected over McBSP port. Should be posible to either resurrect
> direct McBSP code back or maybe add its driver it into SPI framework.

Nokia 770 has stlc4370 and documentation for that chipset is not
available. I'm not aware of the differences between stlc4370 and the
newer chips so I cannot say how much work there is needed to get the
driver working in 770.

--
Kalle Valo
Re: stlc45xx: open source WLAN driver for N800 and N810 [ In reply to ]
"ext John Holmblad" <jholmblad@acadiasecurenets.com> writes:

> Kalle,

Hi John,

> does this driver provide full support for 802.11i-2004 (sometimes
> refereed to as WPA enterprise or WPA2 enterprise^1 ) or does it only
> support pre-shared key authentication?

Actually the driver doesn't care, this is entirely up to the
supplicant (in user space). I have used wpa_supplicant while testing
the driver which supports also WPA enterprise (and almost any other
method available).

Actually currently the driver knows nothing about encryption or
decryption because mac80211 encrypts all the frames in CPU. Hardware
crypto support is in the TODO list.

--
Kalle Valo
Re: stlc45xx: open source WLAN driver for N800 and N810 [ In reply to ]
"ext Lorn Potter" <lpotter@trolltech.com> writes:

> Kalle Valo wrote:
>> I'm excited to announce a new project called stlc45xx, an open source
>> WLAN driver for Nokia N800 and N810. It's using mac80211 stack
>> included in Linux since 2.6.22. Even though I currently classify the
>> driver as alpha quality I have managed to transfer 1.2 GB of data with
>> iperf.
>
> Excellent news! our sales and marketing will love you!

Heh. This release is for developers, definitely not for users. But
maybe some day...

>> I'm sending this from Helsinki-Vantaa airport on my way to Berlin. I
>> will be giving a presentation about stlc45xx at the Maemo Summit on
>> Friday 15:00. See you there!
>
> hopefully these will be recorded for those on the other side of the planet.

I hope not because I suck as a presenter =)

--
Kalle Valo
Re: stlc45xx: open source WLAN driver for N800 and N810 [ In reply to ]
Kalle Valo wrote:
> Nokia 770 has stlc4370 and documentation for that chipset is not
> available. I'm not aware of the differences between stlc4370 and the
> newer chips so I cannot say how much work there is needed to get the
> driver working in 770.

Not good :-( But still, the driver talks to the firmware and so far you
were shipping both (3825/3826.arm) firmwares together so I hoped they
offer same API when accessed over SPI. Or do you have some special and
different 3826.arm firmware now for open source driver? Or is the
difference in umac.ko for 770 vs N8x0? I hope not, I think Poky people
were succesfull with 2.6.18 kernel and umac.ko for N800 runing on 770.
So can we take the firmware as working black box offering same
functionality for both chips?

Frantisek

Re: stlc45xx: open source WLAN driver for N800 and N810 [ In reply to ]
"ext Andrew Barr" <andrew.james.barr@gmail.com> writes:

> Kalle Valo <kalle.valo <at> nokia.com> writes:
>
>> I recommend anyone interested about the project joining
>> stlc45xx-devel. Unfortunately the garage project is closed currently,
>> but it will be opened as soon as possible.

The garage project is open now, or at least it should be. Please let
me know if there are problems.

> Does this mean we cannot download the source code

I put the source code temporarily to the webpage but in the future all
releases are available from the project page:

https://garage.maemo.org/frs/?group_id=774

> or does this mean that joining the mailing list and/or the garage
> project is closed?

They should work now as the garage project is open.

> Also, since the tablets are currently using a 2.6.21 kernel, what
> is the recommended source tree (e.g. linux-omap) and/or version
> to upgrade so we can test the driver?

I used stlc45xx 0.1.3 against this commit from linux-omap:

commit de1121fdb899f762b9e717f44eaf3fae7c00cd3e