I want to create some documents that have some standard fields (eg: creation
date), and I don't want to keep repeating my code. This way I ensure some
standard conventions in all my documents.

What's the reason behind this? What's the argument against making an
interface and not having the document final?

look forward to some replies.
thanks
Steve.

Re: Why is Document final? [ In reply to ]
On Dec 23, 2005, at 5:00 AM, Steven Pannell wrote:
> Can someone please tell my why the Document class has no interface
> and is
> final?

Primarily because Lucene controls the construction of Document
instances returned from Hits.

> I want to create some documents that have some standard fields (eg:
> creation
> date), and I don't want to keep repeating my code. This way I
> ensure some
> standard conventions in all my documents.

You could ensure this by writing a wrapping method or class that
creates Documents for you.

> What's the reason behind this? What's the argument against making an
> interface and not having the document final?

How would Lucene reconstruct the Document instance from Hits using
your own implementation?

Erik

RE: Why is Document final? [ In reply to ]
Hi,

Yes, I can see why in this implementation it will not work. However, what
about using the XMLEncoder instead of Serializable? Using this method we
have both platform and class object independence. That would solve it.

RE: Why is Document final? [ In reply to ]
Hi
Can u plz tell me if i have to ask any doubt so where should i mail.....

Regards,
Aruna Rawat
(Software Engineer)
Patni Computer Systems,