for a specific value for the field 'position' in an indexed field it returns
another value in addition to the one searched for. The search is:

position:"LH off" - this correctly returns all results for entries which
are indexed with 'position' of "LH off"

position:"LH on" - this returns the results for 'position' of "LH on"
followed by all the results for "LH off", we cannot understand why "LH off"
is returned in these circumstances for an Indexed search.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Re: Search on indexed value not restrictive under one circumstance [ In reply to ]
If it is all ways like i.e. For 'LH on" and "LH off" number of result are
same then it could have because of AND/OR operator. As per your condtion
one way it is working fine and for " LH off" its not. Because of Fuzzy
matching it could have analyzed. "LH on " is near "LH off" while query parse
(25% mismatch) but in other ways it is (40%).
Like to know why it is happening?

On Wed, Sep 14, 2011 at 1:36 PM, Wick2804 <chris.chadwick@banctec.co.uk>wrote:

> Hi
>
> We have a fairly large Solr repository which is working exceptionally well.
> However our customer noticed a strange search result, in that when looking
> for a specific value for the field 'position' in an indexed field it
> returns
> another value in addition to the one searched for. The search is:
>
> position:"LH off" - this correctly returns all results for entries
> which
> are indexed with 'position' of "LH off"
>
> position:"LH on" - this returns the results for 'position' of "LH on"
> followed by all the results for "LH off", we cannot understand why "LH off"
> is returned in these circumstances for an Indexed search.
>
> Any help greatly appreciated.

Mr. Dnyaneshwar Dewadkar
Dept. of Information Technology
Re: Search on indexed value not restrictive under one circumstance [ In reply to ]
: position:"LH on" - this returns the results for 'position' of "LH on"
: followed by all the results for "LH off", we cannot understand why "LH off"
: is returned in these circumstances for an Indexed search.

wild guess: is this is a text field where "on" listed as a stop word?

if it is, you are just searching for 'position:"LF"' and the result
ordering is a conincidence of length normalization (the "LF on" docs only
contain the one term "LF" and the "LF off" docs cointain two terms, so the
shorter docs score higher)

if that's not it, then we need a lot more info about your schema, your
data, specifics of the queries, the score explanations, etc...

-Hoss
Re: Search on indexed value not restrictive under one circumstance [ In reply to ]
Hi

Thanks for this excellent reply. You are quite correct "on" is listed as a
stopword

Thanks for your help
Chris