Mailing List Archive

Antw: Re: problem with nfs and exportfs failover
>>> William Seligman <seligman@nevis.columbia.edu> schrieb am 16.04.2012 um 18:49
in Nachricht <4F8C4DA6.2060304@nevis.columbia.edu>:

[...]
> - There's a more fundamental question: Why are you placing the start/stop of
> your NFS server on both nodes under pacemaker control? Why not have the NFS
> server start at system startup on each node?
[...]

Hi!

First I think nfsserver starts up and stops quite fast, and secondly I feel worried about lock migration if you move around exports from one server to the other. (MHO)

Regards,
Ulrich

Re: Antw: Re: problem with nfs and exportfs failover [ In reply to ]
Hi

Another purpose to set the start/stop of nfsserver in Pacemaker is to be
able to monitor the nfs services periodically
and take automatically the failover decision/actions in case of problem on
the nfs services (failover of exportfs, failover of
virtual IP, etc.)

About lock migration, as far as I know and try, there is no possibility to
manage nfs locks
migration with v3 clients, my conclusion after experiencing a few months
ago was that
lock migration can't be managed in a HA NFS active/active configuration
(meaning with a nfs server on each node) ,
but only in a active/passive configuration, or perhaps with exclusively
NFS v4 clients ?
(but I have not yet tried this exclusively v4 configuration)
But perhaps somebody has other experiences and conclusions about HA NFS
... ?

Regards
Alain