ocf:linbit:drbd \
params drbd_resource="drive" \
op monitor interval="15" role="Master" \
op monitor interval="30" role="Slave"

After entering all of these lines I hit enter and nothing is returned - it appears frozen and I am never returned to the "crm(live)configure# " shell. An strace of the process does not reveal any obvious blocks. I have also tried entering the entire configuration on a single line with the same result.

What can I try to debug this and move forward with configuring pacemaker? Is there a command I can use to completely clear out pacemaker to perhaps start fresh?

Thanks,

Andrew
Re: Cannot Create Primitive in CRM Shell [ In reply to ]
Hi,

On Fri, Jan 6, 2012 at 11:24 PM, Andrew Martin <amartin@xes-inc.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am working with DRBD + Heartbeat + Pacemaker to create a 2-node
> highly-available cluster. I have been following this official guide on
> DRBD's website for configuring all of the components:
> http://www.linbit.com/fileadmin/tech-guides/ha-nfs.pdf
>
> However, once I go to configure the primitives in pacemaker's CRM shell
> (section 4.1 in the PDF above) I am unable to create the primitive. For
> example, I enter the following configuration for a DRBD device called
> "drive":
> primitive p_drbd_drive \
>
>   ocf:linbit:drbd \
>
>   params drbd_resource="drive" \
>
>   op monitor interval="15" role="Master" \
>
>   op monitor interval="30" role="Slave"
>
> After entering all of these lines I hit enter and nothing is returned - it
> appears frozen and I am never returned to the "crm(live)configure# " shell.
> An strace of the process does not reveal any obvious blocks. I have also
> tried entering the entire configuration on a single line with the same
> result.

I would recommend going through this guide first
http://www.clusterlabs.org/doc/en-US/Pacemaker/1.1/html-single/Pacemaker_Explained/

> What can I try to debug this and move forward with configuring pacemaker? Is
> there a command I can use to completely clear out pacemaker to perhaps start
> fresh?

crm configure erase

It will however do what it says, so use it with caution, you have been warned.

--
Dan Frincu
CCNA, RHCE

Bugs: http://bugs.clusterlabs.org
Re: Cannot Create Primitive in CRM Shell [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Jan 9, 2012 at 11:42 AM, Dan Frincu <df.cluster@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Fri, Jan 6, 2012 at 11:24 PM, Andrew Martin <amartin@xes-inc.com> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am working with DRBD + Heartbeat + Pacemaker to create a 2-node
>> highly-available cluster. I have been following this official guide on
>> DRBD's website for configuring all of the components:
>> http://www.linbit.com/fileadmin/tech-guides/ha-nfs.pdf
>>
>> However, once I go to configure the primitives in pacemaker's CRM shell
>> (section 4.1 in the PDF above) I am unable to create the primitive. For
>> example, I enter the following configuration for a DRBD device called
>> "drive":
>> primitive p_drbd_drive \
>>
>>   ocf:linbit:drbd \
>>
>>   params drbd_resource="drive" \
>>
>>   op monitor interval="15" role="Master" \
>>
>>   op monitor interval="30" role="Slave"
>>
>> After entering all of these lines I hit enter and nothing is returned - it
>> appears frozen and I am never returned to the "crm(live)configure# " shell.
>> An strace of the process does not reveal any obvious blocks. I have also
>> tried entering the entire configuration on a single line with the same
>> result.
>
> I would recommend going through this guide first
> http://www.clusterlabs.org/doc/en-US/Pacemaker/1.1/html-single/Pacemaker_Explained/

That's a bit of a knee-jerk response if I may say so, and when I wrote
those guides[1] the intention was specifically that people could
peruse them _without_ first having to check the documentation that
covers the configuration internals.

At any rate, Andrew, if your crm shell is freezing up when you're
simply trying to add a primitive, something must be seriously awry in
your setup -- it's something that I've not run into personally, unless
the cluster was already responding to an error state on one of the
nodes. Are you sure your cluster is behaving OK otherwise? Are you
getting meaningful output from "crm_mon -1"? Does your cluster report
it has successfully elected a DC?

Cheers,
Florian

[1] Which I did while employed by Linbit, which is no longer the case,
as they have asked I point out. http://wp.me/p4XzQ-bN

--
Need help with High Availability?
http://www.hastexo.com/now

Bugs: http://bugs.clusterlabs.org
Re: Cannot Create Primitive in CRM Shell [ In reply to ]
Hi,

On Mon, Jan 9, 2012 at 1:44 PM, Florian Haas <florian@hastexo.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 9, 2012 at 11:42 AM, Dan Frincu <df.cluster@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Fri, Jan 6, 2012 at 11:24 PM, Andrew Martin <amartin@xes-inc.com> wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I am working with DRBD + Heartbeat + Pacemaker to create a 2-node
>>> highly-available cluster. I have been following this official guide on
>>> DRBD's website for configuring all of the components:
>>> http://www.linbit.com/fileadmin/tech-guides/ha-nfs.pdf
>>>
>>> However, once I go to configure the primitives in pacemaker's CRM shell
>>> (section 4.1 in the PDF above) I am unable to create the primitive. For
>>> example, I enter the following configuration for a DRBD device called
>>> "drive":
>>> primitive p_drbd_drive \
>>>
>>>   ocf:linbit:drbd \
>>>
>>>   params drbd_resource="drive" \
>>>
>>>   op monitor interval="15" role="Master" \
>>>
>>>   op monitor interval="30" role="Slave"
>>>
>>> After entering all of these lines I hit enter and nothing is returned - it
>>> appears frozen and I am never returned to the "crm(live)configure# " shell.
>>> An strace of the process does not reveal any obvious blocks. I have also
>>> tried entering the entire configuration on a single line with the same
>>> result.
>>
>> I would recommend going through this guide first
>> http://www.clusterlabs.org/doc/en-US/Pacemaker/1.1/html-single/Pacemaker_Explained/
>
> That's a bit of a knee-jerk response if I may say so, and when I wrote
> those guides[1] the intention was specifically that people could
> peruse them _without_ first having to check the documentation that
> covers the configuration internals.

I apologize if it came through as a "knee-jerk response" on my behalf,
if I don't understanding the technology I work with, I look at the
docs, that's why I always point others to the documentation as well.

I have followed the tech guides in reference many times and I'm not in
any way implying that they shouldn't be followed ad-literam, I've
explained in my previous statement why I recommend the docs.

Sorry for the noise.

Re: Cannot Create Primitive in CRM Shell [ In reply to ]
Hi Florian,

Thanks for the quick response. This is a fresh install of pacemaker/heartbeat on two VMs so it should not have any previous/corrupted configuration (Ubuntu 10.04 amd64). I had previously deployed pacemaker on alternative copies of these VM images, but both of those have since been deleted. I am using the versions of these packages from the Ubuntu HA PPA because the Lucid version does not appear to contain ocf:heartbeat:exportfs.

Here's the output of "crm_mon -1", which appears normal:

# crm_mon -1
============
Last updated: Mon Jan 9 07:56:23 2012
Last change: Fri Jan 6 12:20:20 2012 via cibadmin on host1
Stack: Heartbeat
Current DC: host1 (e7dd6b7b-83ee-45bd-9768-bf576260ff15) - partition with quorum
Version: 1.1.6-9971ebba4494012a93c03b40a2c58ec0eb60f50c
2 Nodes configured, unknown expected votes
0 Resources configured.
============

Online: [ host1 host2 ]

I issued "crm configure erase" and then performed the following operations after running "crm configure":

property stonith-enabled="false"
property no-quorum-policy="ignore"
rsc_defaults resource-stickiness="200"
commit

primitive p_exportfs_drive \
ocf:heartbeat:exportfs \
params fsid=1 \
directory="/tmp" \
options="rw,mountpoint" \
clientspec="10.10.0.0/255.255.0.0" \
wait_for_leasetime_on_stop=true \
op monitor interval="30s"

I have attached the syslog from these operations as well as a copy of the configuration as exported via "cibadmin --query > /tmp/pacemaker_config.xml". I am also including a copy of the portion of the strace from when I entered 'op monitor interval="30s"' at the end of the exportfs primitive and then hit the Enter key (and the crm shell remains frozen).

Any ideas of what else I can try to fix the crm shell on these nodes?

Thanks,

Andrew

Re: Cannot Create Primitive in CRM Shell [ In reply to ]
Perhaps as a corollary problem I have noticed that I cannot seem to start or restart pacemaker:
# service pacemaker restart
Starting Pacemaker Cluster Manager: [FAILED]
# tail /var/log/daemon.log

Jan 9 09:04:37 webapps1 pacemakerd: [5725]: info: Invoked: pacemakerd
Jan 9 09:04:37 webapps1 pacemakerd: [5725]: info: crm_log_init_worker: Changed active directory to /var/lib/heartbeat/cores/root
Jan 9 09:04:37 webapps1 pacemakerd: [5725]: info: get_cluster_type: Assuming a 'heartbeat' based cluster
Jan 9 09:04:37 webapps1 pacemakerd: [5725]: info: read_config: Reading configure for stack: heartbeat

My heartbeat configuration (/etc/ha.d/ha.cf) is as follows:

autojoin none
mcast eth0 239.0.0.43 694 1 0
bcast eth1
warntime 5
deadtime 15
initdead 60
keepalive 2
node host1
node host22
pacemaker respawn

The versions of these packages are:
heartbeat - 3.0.5
pacemaker - 1.1.6

Thanks,

Andrew

Re: Cannot Create Primitive in CRM Shell [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Jan 9, 2012 at 4:10 PM, Andrew Martin <amartin@xes-inc.com> wrote:
> Perhaps as a corollary problem I have noticed that I cannot seem to start or
> restart pacemaker:
> # service pacemaker restart
> Starting Pacemaker Cluster Manager: [FAILED]

You're running on Heartbeat. The "pacemaker" init script manages the
Pacemaker Master Control Process, which is only available/useful when
Pacemaker runs on top of Corosync.

You do not need to start the Pacemaker init script, nor the pacemakerd
binary. Pacemaker's processes will simply run as children of
Heartbeat. Thus, the failure to start pacemakerd would be unrelated to
your original issue.

Cheers,
Florian

Re: Cannot Create Primitive in CRM Shell [ In reply to ]
> Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2012 16:37:58 +0100
> From: Florian Haas <florian@hastexo.com>
> To: The Pacemaker cluster resource manager
> <pacemaker@oss.clusterlabs.org>
> Subject: Re: [Pacemaker] Cannot Create Primitive in CRM Shell
>
> On Mon, Jan 9, 2012 at 4:10 PM, Andrew Martin <amartin@xes-inc.com>
> wrote:
> > Perhaps as a corollary problem I have noticed that I cannot seem to
> > start or
> > restart pacemaker:
> > # service pacemaker restart
> > Starting Pacemaker Cluster Manager: [FAILED]
>
> You're running on Heartbeat. The "pacemaker" init script manages the
> Pacemaker Master Control Process, which is only available/useful when
> Pacemaker runs on top of Corosync.
>
> You do not need to start the Pacemaker init script, nor the
> pacemakerd
> binary. Pacemaker's processes will simply run as children of
> Heartbeat. Thus, the failure to start pacemakerd would be unrelated
> your original issue.
>
> Cheers,
> Florian
>
> --
> Need help with High Availability?
> http://www.hastexo.com/now

I just encountered the same kind of problem with my cluster setup on Friday (which is also Ubuntu 10.04 updated to the latest HA PPA packages). Shell hung trying to add primitive - Ctrl-C to quit. Then tried status - that worked fine. Then ra info ocf:heartbeat:IPaddr2 - that hung. Tried to restart one of the nodes - that hung with wating for crmd to quit for over 6 hours before I kill -9 crmd process. That happened on both nodes. The shell is still acting the same way after rebooting too.

Pouring through logs trying to figure out what's going wrong! (at least this is still a test cluster)

Jake

Bugs: http://bugs.clusterlabs.org
Re: Cannot Create Primitive in CRM Shell [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Jan 9, 2012 at 3:34 PM, Andrew Martin <amartin@xes-inc.com> wrote:
> Hi Florian,
>
> Thanks for the quick response. This is a fresh install of
> pacemaker/heartbeat on two VMs so it should not have any previous/corrupted
> configuration (Ubuntu 10.04 amd64). I had previously deployed pacemaker on
> alternative copies of these VM images, but both of those have since been
> deleted. I am using the versions of these packages from the Ubuntu HA
> PPA because the Lucid version does not appear to contain
> ocf:heartbeat:exportfs.
>
> Here's the output of "crm_mon -1", which appears normal:
> # crm_mon -1
> ============
> Last updated: Mon Jan  9 07:56:23 2012
> Last change: Fri Jan  6 12:20:20 2012 via cibadmin on host1
> Stack: Heartbeat
> Current DC: host1 (e7dd6b7b-83ee-45bd-9768-bf576260ff15) - partition with
> quorum
> Version: 1.1.6-9971ebba4494012a93c03b40a2c58ec0eb60f50c
> 2 Nodes configured, unknown expected votes
> 0 Resources configured.
> ============
>
> Online: [ host1 host2 ]
>
> I issued "crm configure erase" and then performed the following operations
> after running "crm configure":
> property stonith-enabled="false"
> property no-quorum-policy="ignore"
> rsc_defaults resource-stickiness="200"
> commit
> primitive p_exportfs_drive \
> ocf:heartbeat:exportfs \
> params fsid=1 \
> directory="/tmp" \
> options="rw,mountpoint" \
> clientspec="10.10.0.0/255.255.0.0" \
> wait_for_leasetime_on_stop=true \
> op monitor interval="30s"
>
> I have attached the syslog from these operations as well as a copy of the
> configuration as exported via "cibadmin --query >
> /tmp/pacemaker_config.xml". I am also including a copy of the portion of the
> strace from when I entered 'op monitor interval="30s"' at the end of the
> exportfs primitive and then hit the Enter key (and the crm shell remains
> frozen).

My knee-jerk reaction: That's unfortunately true, CRM shell hangs there.
Luckily LCMC (the Pacemaker GUI) still works on Lucid.

Rasto

--
Dipl.-Ing. Rastislav Levrinc
rasto.levrinc@gmail.com

Bugs: http://bugs.clusterlabs.org
Re: Cannot Create Primitive in CRM Shell [ In reply to ]
> > Thanks for the quick response. This is a fresh install of
> > pacemaker/heartbeat on two VMs so it should not have any
> > previous/corrupted
> > configuration (Ubuntu 10.04 amd64). I had previously deployed
> > pacemaker on
> > alternative copies of these VM images, but both of those have since
> > been
> > deleted. I am using the versions of these packages from the Ubuntu
> > HA
> > PPA because the Lucid version does not appear to contain
> > ocf:heartbeat:exportfs.

Andrew - I was having similiar problems and I believe I've fixed it on mine and wouldn't be surprised if it was the same on yours.

***All the credit goes to Florian and the Hastexo group from pointing me to the problem***

I use the ubuntu-ha-maintainers PPA also. There is an updated version of libglib2.0-0 that (along with some fixes that are applied to corosync? in the ppa) fixes the issue you and I were seeing with adding primitives and ra info commands and even caused corosync to hang on stop for mine.
Problem is that the libglib2.0-0 has an updated package in Lucid updates which gives it priority over the version in the ppa. To fix:

(assuming you are using the ubuntu-ha-maintainers ppa)

$vi /etc/apt/preferences.d/ubuntu-ha-maintainers-ppa-pin-995
and add:

Package: *
Pin: release o=LP-PPA-ubuntu-ha-maintainers
Pin-Priority: 995

Then apt-get upgrade. Then I restarted both nodes and all was well.

HTH!

Jake

Bugs: http://bugs.clusterlabs.org
Re: Cannot Create Primitive in CRM Shell [ In reply to ]
Andrew - my solution below may have been a premature answer. It may have only applied to something on my system that wasn't right.

First thing would be to check and see if you have the correct libglib2.0-0 version:

2.24.1-0ubuntu1.1~ppa1

If you do than disregard below.

Jake

Re: Cannot Create Primitive in CRM Shell [ In reply to ]
Hi Jake,

I applied the fix you posted, rebooted my system, and I am now able to create primitives from the crm shell! I have confirmed that the ppa version of libglib2.0-0 is the one that is installed (2.24.1-0ubuntu1.1~ppa1).

I am not sure if it is a side-effect of this problem or not but shutting down the machines takes quite awhile - at least 5 minutes. During this time crmd prints a bunch of Pending (id: ...) statements for different resources in my pacemaker configuration. Eventually it times out and does restart, though it seems like this behavior could be improved.

Thanks!

Andrew

Re: Cannot Create Primitive in CRM Shell [ In reply to ]
Andrew,

Curious - Did you check the version before you applied the fix I posted?

No idea on the long shutdown time (mine wasn't even shutting down before the fix - now it's under 30 seconds)...
What version of corosync? pacemaker?

Re: Cannot Create Primitive in CRM Shell [ In reply to ]
Hi Jake,

No, unfortunately I did not record the status of libglib2.0-0 before installing. However, I do have the list of packages that were installed when I did "apt-get install drbd8-utils heartbeat pacemaker" from the PPA and it is not listed among them:

binutils build-essential cluster-glue cvs debconf-utils debhelper dkms dpatch dpkg-dev drbd8-source drbd8-utils
fakeroot fancontrol g++ g++-4.4 gawk gcc gcc-4.4 gettext heartbeat html2text intltool-debian libc-dev-bin
libc6-dev libcib1 libcluster-glue libcorosync4 libcrmcluster1 libcrmcommon2 libcroco3 libcurl3 libesmtp5 libgomp1
libheartbeat2 liblrm2 libltdl7 liblzma1 libmail-sendmail-perl libnet1 libnspr4-0d libnss3-1d libopenhpi2
libopenipmi0 libpe-rules2 libpe-status3 libpengine3 libperl5.10 libpils2 libplumb2 libplumbgpl2 libsensors4
libsnmp-base libsnmp15 libstdc++6-4.4-dev libstonith1 libstonithd1 libsys-hostname-long-perl libtransitioner1
libxml2-utils libxslt1.1 linux-libc-dev lm-sensors manpages-dev openhpid pacemaker patchutils po-debconf
resource-agents xz-utils

This leads me to believe that it was installed from lucid-updates until I applied the fix.

The version of Heartbeat (I am using it instead of Corosync) is 3.0.5 and the version of Pacemaker is 1.1.6.