Mailing List Archive

Postfix status (was Re: state of heartbeat resource agents)
> Hi All,
>
> We found a problem in the resource agent of postfix.

*Please* don't reply to an old thread if you mean to start a new one,
hijacking threads just confuses everyone.

> The resource agent of postfix carries out /usr/sbin/postfix in status parameter, but this is not available in old postfix.

I believe this has been addressed in the latest patch set that was
merged a couple of days ago; please try to reproduce the problem with
the postfix RA from upstream git before you start working on your own
patch. Thanks.

Cheers,
Florian
Re: Postfix status (was Re: state of heartbeat resource agents) [ In reply to ]
Hi Florian,

> *Please* don't reply to an old thread if you mean to start a new one,
> hijacking threads just confuses everyone.

All right.
Thanks!

> I believe this has been addressed in the latest patch set that was
> merged a couple of days ago; please try to reproduce the problem with
> the postfix RA from upstream git before you start working on your own
> patch. Thanks.

OK.
Please wait for a while until I make the patch of the resource agent of latest postfix.

Best Regards,
Hideo Yamauchi.

Re: Postfix status (was Re: state of heartbeat resource agents) [ In reply to ]
Hi!

On 06/03/2011 09:40 AM, renayama19661014@ybb.ne.jp wrote:
>> I believe this has been addressed in the latest patch set that was
>> merged a couple of days ago; please try to reproduce the problem with
>> the postfix RA from upstream git before you start working on your own
>> patch. Thanks.
>
> OK.
> Please wait for a while until I make the patch of the resource agent of latest postfix.

this hasn't been addressed yet. my first goal was to improve the
current postfix ra/current functionality for the postfix versions
i'm curerntly able to test with.

thus, the status section problem hasn't yet been addressed.

patches for [1] are welcome. i'll check them and sign them off.
(please try to use the newest ra only)

please test them using the current ocft [2]

e.g. wget the ocft test to /root/ocft/ and run

/usr/sbin/ocft clean
/usr/sbin/ocft make -d /root/ocft/ postfix
/usr/sbin/ocft test

if some tests fail, you might also try
/usr/sbin/ocft test -v

for verbose output.

thanks,
raoul

[1]
https://github.com/ClusterLabs/resource-agents/blob/master/heartbeat/postfix
[2]
https://github.com/ClusterLabs/resource-agents/blob/master/tools/ocft/postfix
DI (FH) Raoul Bhatia M.Sc. email. r.bhatia@ipax.at
Technischer Leiter

IPAX - Aloy Bhatia Hava OG web. http://www.ipax.at
Barawitzkagasse 10/2/2/11 email. office@ipax.at
1190 Wien tel. +43 1 3670030
FN 277995t HG Wien fax. +43 1 3670030 15
Re: Postfix status (was Re: state of heartbeat resource agents) [ In reply to ]
Hi,

On Fri, Jun 03, 2011 at 11:34:38AM +0200, Raoul Bhatia [IPAX] wrote:
> Hi!
>
> On 06/03/2011 09:40 AM, renayama19661014@ybb.ne.jp wrote:
> >> I believe this has been addressed in the latest patch set that was
> >> merged a couple of days ago; please try to reproduce the problem with
> >> the postfix RA from upstream git before you start working on your own
> >> patch. Thanks.
> >
> > OK.
> > Please wait for a while until I make the patch of the resource agent of latest postfix.
>
> this hasn't been addressed yet. my first goal was to improve the
> current postfix ra/current functionality for the postfix versions
> i'm curerntly able to test with.

Regressions are bad. You have to keep in mind that not everybody
runs the latest release of postfix. This really needs to be fixed
before the release.

Cheers,

Dejan

Re: Postfix status (was Re: state of heartbeat resource agents) [ In reply to ]
On 06/03/2011 11:45 AM, Dejan Muhamedagic wrote:
> Regressions are bad. You have to keep in mind that not everybody
> runs the latest release of postfix. This really needs to be fixed
> before the release.

it's no regression but has been like that since the initial release.
see commit e7af463d or

https://github.com/ClusterLabs/resource-agents/blame/master/heartbeat/postfix#LID100

i didn't know this until Noah brought this to my/our attention:
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/linuxha/pacemaker/72379#72379

thanks,
raoul

Re: Postfix status (was Re: state of heartbeat resource agents) [ In reply to ]
Hi Dejan,
Hi Raoul,

Thank you for comment.

I investigated some points.
The status command seems to be supported by 2.5.0 version.
The data_directory parameter seems to be supported by 2.5.0 version, too.
Get the version of postfix by "postconf -h mail_version" command.

> Regressions are bad. You have to keep in mind that not everybody
> runs the latest release of postfix. This really needs to be fixed
> before the release.

I think so, too.

There is the place that I want to revise a little elsewhere in the resource agent of postfix.
I make a patch about a correction of status and other corrections.

Best Regards,
Hideo Yamauchi.

Best Regards,
Hideo Yamauchi.

Re: Postfix status (was Re: state of heartbeat resource agents) [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Jun 03, 2011 at 12:03:20PM +0200, Raoul Bhatia [IPAX] wrote:
> On 06/03/2011 11:45 AM, Dejan Muhamedagic wrote:
> > Regressions are bad. You have to keep in mind that not everybody
> > runs the latest release of postfix. This really needs to be fixed
> > before the release.
>
> it's no regression but has been like that since the initial release.
> see commit e7af463d or
>
> https://github.com/ClusterLabs/resource-agents/blame/master/heartbeat/postfix#LID100
>
> i didn't know this until Noah brought this to my/our attention:
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/linuxha/pacemaker/72379#72379

OK. I misunderstood the post, it seemed to me as if status had
been introduced in the latest set of patches. This is another
matter then.

Cheers,

Dejan

Re: Postfix status (was Re: state of heartbeat resource agents) [ In reply to ]
Hi All,

I send a patch in conjunction with the status processing.
It is made the following modifications.

* Carry out status processing in a version judgment
* Change of the parameter check
* Error log when status processing failed
* Value set of the ret variable

I send the patch of other corrections later.

Please comment on all of you for the patch.

Re: Postfix status (was Re: state of heartbeat resource agents) [ In reply to ]
Hi All,

The next patch supports a loop of the waiting of the start processing successively.
The start processing revised it like other resource agents to wait on for start.

Best Regards,
Hideo Yamauchi.

Re: Postfix status (was Re: state of heartbeat resource agents) [ In reply to ]
Hi All,

Sorry....

+ if [ ${ver_str[0]} -le 2 -a ${ver_str[1]} -le 5 ]; then

I missed.

+ if [ ${ver_str[0]} -lt 2 -o ${ver_str[0]} -eq 2 -a ${ver_str[1]} -lt 5 ]; then

Thanks.

Re: Postfix status (was Re: state of heartbeat resource agents) [ In reply to ]
Hi Hideo-san,

On Mon, Jun 06, 2011 at 01:36:01PM +0900, renayama19661014@ybb.ne.jp wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Sorry....
>
> + if [ ${ver_str[0]} -le 2 -a ${ver_str[1]} -le 5 ]; then
>
> I missed.
>
> + if [ ${ver_str[0]} -lt 2 -o ${ver_str[0]} -eq 2 -a ${ver_str[1]} -lt 5 ]; then

In the latest version of ocf-shellfuncs there is some support for
version checks.

Cheers,

Dejan

Re: Postfix status (was Re: state of heartbeat resource agents) [ In reply to ]
On 06/06/2011 05:08 AM, renayama19661014@ybb.ne.jp wrote:
> The next patch supports a loop of the waiting of the start processing successively.
> The start processing revised it like other resource agents to wait on for start.

hi!

personally, i would do the "sleep 1" at the beginning as, in my
experience, running monitor immediately after start is prone to failing.

postfix needs some time for startup - at least on my postfix-mysql &
always present outbound mailqueue setup.

if it's ok for you, i'll apply your patch (slightly modified) to my
tree at https://github.com/raoulbhatia/resource-agents/

thanks,
raoul

Re: Postfix status (was Re: state of heartbeat resource agents) [ In reply to ]
Hi Hideo-san!

On 06/06/2011 04:51 AM, renayama19661014@ybb.ne.jp wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I send a patch in conjunction with the status processing.
> It is made the following modifications.
>
> * Carry out status processing in a version judgment

i think we could safely do the "kill -s 0" for *any*
version and call "postfix status" only if available.

btw. quickly looking at your patch, i spotted 1
typo: "status_suuport" instead of "status_support"
(douple u/p)

for the version check, i think we should try using the
ocf internal function.

> * Change of the parameter check
the checks are basically fine. i would slightly update the
logging information. (i can do this when i apply your patches)

> * Error log when status processing failed
> * Value set of the ret variable

i don't think that the use of $ret is correct.

please comment on my suggestions and/or update the
ra in this regard.

thanks,
raoul

Re: Postfix status (was Re: state of heartbeat resource agents) [ In reply to ]
Hi Raoul,

> Hideo-san, i updated your postfix.patch2 the way i would improve it.
> any objections?

No.
Thanks!

Best Regards,
Hideo Yamauchi.

Re: Postfix status (was Re: state of heartbeat resource agents) [ In reply to ]
Hi Dejan,

Thank you for comment.

> In the latest version of ocf-shellfuncs there is some support for
> version checks.

I did not know that there was the check handling of version in new ocf-shellfuncs.
I renew a patch to use the processing.

Thanks.
Hideo Yamauchi.

Re: Postfix status (was Re: state of heartbeat resource agents) [ In reply to ]
Hi Raoul,

Thank you for comment.

> i think we could safely do the "kill -s 0" for *any*
> version and call "postfix status" only if available.

I think so.

However, I do not know a lot about postfix so.
I want the opinion of the detailed person.

> btw. quickly looking at your patch, i spotted 1
> typo: "status_suuport" instead of "status_support"
> (douple u/p)

Sorry...
It is my typo.

> for the version check, i think we should try using the
> ocf internal function.

Ok.

> > * Change of the parameter check
> the checks are basically fine. i would slightly update the
> logging information. (i can do this when i apply your patches)

Thanks!

> > * Error log when status processing failed
> > * Value set of the ret variable
>
> i don't think that the use of $ret is correct.

I made modifications to set unsettled ret variable in an original resource agent.
But I am unsettled, the ret variable may not have to output it in log.

Re: Postfix status (was Re: state of heartbeat resource agents) [ In reply to ]
Hi All,

I revised the first patch.
Please confirm contents.

Best Regards,
Hideo Yamauchi.

Re: Postfix status (was Re: state of heartbeat resource agents) [ In reply to ]
Hi All,

I contribute my last patch.(patch3)
This is a patch for the sources which applied patch 1.
It is the patch which output the details of the error in log.

Re: Postfix status (was Re: state of heartbeat resource agents) [ In reply to ]
On 06/07/2011 04:16 AM, renayama19661014@ybb.ne.jp wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I revised the first patch.
> Please confirm contents.

hi!

thanks. i'm currently checking and applying those patches step-by-step.

thanks,
raoul

Re: Postfix status [ In reply to ]
On 07.06.2011 04:40, renayama19661014@ybb.ne.jp wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I contribute my last patch.(patch3)
> This is a patch for the sources which applied patch 1.
> It is the patch which output the details of the error in log.

hi!

to my knowledge, the ra's output is logged by pacemaker.
moreover, postfix logs to the mail facility itself.

what are the reasons for separately capturing and logging
all output?

(mainly patch3)

thanks,
raoul
Re: Postfix status [ In reply to ]
Hi Raoul,

Thank you for the merge of the patch.

> to my knowledge, the ra's output is logged by pacemaker.
> moreover, postfix logs to the mail facility itself.
>
> what are the reasons for separately capturing and logging
> all output?

When a problem occurred, the output of detailed log helps an operator.
In addition, pacemaker can give only the log that ra output in std.

Best Regards,
Hideo Yamauchi.

Re: Postfix status [ In reply to ]
Hi Raoul,

> > to my knowledge, the ra's output is logged by pacemaker.
> > moreover, postfix logs to the mail facility itself.
> >
> > what are the reasons for separately capturing and logging
> > all output?
>
> When a problem occurred, the output of detailed log helps an operator.
> In addition, pacemaker can give only the log that ra output in std.

My the third patch was wrong.
And log of postfix helps a manager enough.

Please abandon my the third patch to a trash box.

Best Regards,
Hideo Yamauchi.

Re: Postfix status [ In reply to ]
On 06/15/2011 04:19 AM, renayama19661014@ybb.ne.jp wrote:
> Hi Raoul,
>
>>> to my knowledge, the ra's output is logged by pacemaker.
>>> moreover, postfix logs to the mail facility itself.
>>>
>>> what are the reasons for separately capturing and logging
>>> all output?
>>
>> When a problem occurred, the output of detailed log helps an operator.
>> In addition, pacemaker can give only the log that ra output in std.
>
> My the third patch was wrong.
> And log of postfix helps a manager enough.
>
> Please abandon my the third patch to a trash box.

hi Hideo-san!

ok, i'll do that.
did you get a chance to test the latest and greatest postfix ocf ra?

thanks,
raoul

Re: Postfix status [ In reply to ]
Hi Raoul,

> ok, i'll do that.
> did you get a chance to test the latest and greatest postfix ocf ra?

Thank you for comment.

I do not yet test it in latest postfix.

I intended to test it after it was committed.
If a test is necessary, I participate in a test.

Best Regards,
Hideo Yamauchi.