Mailing List Archive

no interrupts to 3c509B
Hallo,
I am getting no interrupts to my ethernet, a 3com 3c509B, so it's not
receiving any packets. The loopback works fine and the ethernet seems
to transmit according to ifconfig, but there is no receive activity.
Here's a dmesg output and some other info. By the way, I have the latest
release of nettools also and need any reply CCd to me because I'm not
subscribed. Thanks!
Timothy,
Fresh Install of Slackware 3.6
SuperMicro P6SBA mobo with AMI winBIOS (nolaughing) 1.5b (latest)
PII 350
128MB PC100 SDRAM
IBM 1.6GB IDE - primary slave
Maxtor 7GB IDE - primary master
Teac 32X CDrom - secondary master
Mitsumi 32X CDrom - seconadry slave
3com 3c509B (no problems until new mobo)
STB V4400 Pci
gen Pci soundcard with Vortex1 chipset
33.6 modem ISA
Linux version 2.2.6 (root@ziggy) (gcc version 2.7.2.3) #7 Wed Apr 28
21:04:51 EDT 1999
Detected 350804336 Hz processor.
Console: colour VGA+ 80x25
Calibrating delay loop... 349.80 BogoMIPS
Memory: 128220k/131072k available (888k kernel code, 412k reserved,
1516k data, 36k init)
CPU: Intel Pentium II (Deschutes) stepping 01
Checking 386/387 coupling... OK, FPU using exception 16 error reporting.
Checking 'hlt' instruction... OK.
POSIX conformance testing by UNIFIX
mtrr: v1.26 (19981001) Richard Gooch (rgooch@atnf.csiro.au)
PCI: PCI BIOS revision 2.10 entry at 0xfdb81
PCI: Using configuration type 1
PCI: Probing PCI hardware
PCI: Enabling I/O for device 00:3a
Linux NET4.0 for Linux 2.2
Based upon Swansea University Computer Society NET3.039
NET4: Unix domain sockets 1.0 for Linux NET4.0.
NET4: Linux TCP/IP 1.0 for NET4.0
IP Protocols: ICMP, UDP, TCP
Starting kswapd v 1.5
Detected PS/2 Mouse Port.
Serial driver version 4.27 with no serial options enabled
ttyS00 at 0x03f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
ttyS01 at 0x02f8 (irq = 3) is a 16550A
pty: 256 Unix98 ptys configured
Real Time Clock Driver v1.09
PIIX4: IDE controller on PCI bus 00 dev 39
PIIX4: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
ide0: BM-DMA at 0xffa0-0xffa7, BIOS settings: hda:DMA, hdb:DMA
ide1: BM-DMA at 0xffa8-0xffaf, BIOS settings: hdc:DMA, hdd:DMA
hda: Maxtor 90720D5, ATA DISK drive
hdb: IBM-DJAA-31700, ATA DISK drive
hdc: CD-532E-A, ATAPI CDROM drive
hdd: FX320S, ATAPI CDROM drive
ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 on irq 14
ide1 at 0x170-0x177,0x376 on irq 15
hda: Maxtor 90720D5, 6869MB w/256kB Cache, CHS=875/255/63, UDMA
hdb: IBM-DJAA-31700, 1628MB w/96kB Cache, CHS=827/64/63, DMA
hdc: ATAPI 32X CD-ROM drive, 128kB Cache
Uniform CDROM driver Revision: 2.54
hdd: ATAPI 32X CD-ROM drive, 256kB Cache
Floppy drive(s): fd0 is 1.44M
FDC 0 is a post-1991 82077
PPP: version 2.3.3 (demand dialling)
TCP compression code copyright 1989 Regents of the University of
California
PPP line discipline registered.
eth0: 3c509 at 0x280 tag 1, 10baseT port, address 00 a0 24 1f 32 02,
IRQ 9.
3c509.c:1.16 (2.2) 2/3/98 becker@cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov.
Partition check:
hda: hda1 hda2 hda3
hdb: hdb1
Freeing unused kernel memory: 36k freed
eth0: Setting Rx mode to 1 addresses.
eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:A0:24:1F:32:02
inet addr:10.0.10.75 Bcast:10.255.255.255 Mask:255.0.0.0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:100
Interrupt:9 Base address:0x280
lo Link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:3924 Metric:1
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
CPU0
0: 5367 XT-PIC timer
1: 282 XT-PIC keyboard
2: 0 XT-PIC cascade
8: 1 XT-PIC rtc
9: 0 XT-PIC eth0
12: 0 XT-PIC PS/2 Mouse
13: 1 XT-PIC fpu
14: 1723 XT-PIC ide0
15: 12 XT-PIC ide1
NMI: 0
Kernel IP routing table
Destination Gateway Genmask Flags Metric Ref Use
Iface
10.0.0.0 10.0.10.75 255.0.0.0 UG 0 0 0
eth0
10.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 255.0.0.0 U 0 0 0
eth0
10.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 255.0.0.0 U 0 0 0
eth0
127.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 255.0.0.0 U 0 0 0
lo
0.0.0.0 10.0.0.1 0.0.0.0 UG 1 0 0
eth0
-
Re: no interrupts to 3c509B [ In reply to ]
Hallo,
One short note to add that I figured might help. The card works fine
in windoze.. I'm using it right now. It's got to be in the kernel or
something.
Timothy,
-
Re: no interrupts to 3c509B [ In reply to ]
Are you sure the 3c509B is not setup in PNP (Plug and Play) mode?

-
Re: no interrupts to 3c509B [ In reply to ]
In <3727DB67.57D39CA7@ovnet.com> Timothy Wood (diyab@ovnet.com) wrote:
> Hallo,
> One short note to add that I figured might help. The card works fine
> in windoze.. I'm using it right now. It's got to be in the kernel or
> something.
Hmmm. If there are windows on box then try cold reboot before starting Linux:
Windows like to "shutdown" card and Linux does not know how to wake up it :-/
-
Re: no interrupts to 3c509B [ In reply to ]
> I am getting no interrupts to my ethernet, a 3com 3c509B, so it's not
> receiving any packets. The loopback works fine and the ethernet seems
> to transmit according to ifconfig, but there is no receive activity.
> Here's a dmesg output and some other info. By the way, I have the latest
> release of nettools also and need any reply CCd to me because I'm not
> subscribed. Thanks!
Make sure that
a) IRQ9 is marked as a legacy ISA irq in the bios settings (if applicable
- it is with most modern boxes)
b) Nothing else is trying to use IRQ 9 (aka IRQ 2)
Alan
-
Re: no interrupts to 3c509B [ In reply to ]
I thought 3c509's shipped with IRQ 10 as the default...

-
Re: no interrupts to 3c509B [ In reply to ]
Actually noadays they ship in PNP mode by default.