Thanks,
Tony Toole
-
Re: AWE64G PNP Help [ In reply to ]
>I'm currently trying to get my AWE64G card working under Linux (2.1.96)
>and am having some problems..
>
>Firstly, since this is a PNP device, I'm assuming I have to use isapnp to
>configure it, but I haven't the foggiest clue on how to go about this.
Yes, unless your BIOS configures it for you (and even then, you have to
guess where it ended up, and the BIOS may do it wrong). Start by running
pnpdump, this will give you a list of your PNP hardware with suggested
configurations. Uncomment one variant for each device function. The "AWE"
portion of the card can be a bit difficult for pnpdump to get right. My
config (AWE32, but afaik the hardware is essentially the same) for the "AWE"
function is:
(CONFIGURE CTL0044/269460895 (LD 2
# ANSI string -->WaveTable<--
(IO 0 (BASE 0x0620))
(IO 1 (BASE 0x0a20))
(IO 2 (BASE 0x0e20))
(ACT Y)
))
After you have chosen configurations run isapnp on the file. (You probably
want to do this at automatically at boot. Debian systems do this if you call
your config file /etc/isapnp.conf. I would guess Redhat is similar.)
Next is the configuration of the sound driver. I would recommend using
modules+kmod for automatic loading (works well here now). I have configured
support for the soundblaster, generic OPL2/3, YM3812/OPL-3 and AWE32 and
it seems to be working (haven't tried using the OPL3 though). In your
/etc/conf.modules, you need to enter the addresses etc. for your config.
Also, you need to add aliases so that modprobe can find your sound card.
My config:
alias char-major-14 sb
# load the "sb" module when something wants to use the sound device
alias synth0 awe_wave
# load the "awe_wave" modules when something wants to use the sequencer device
post-install awe_wave /sbin/modprobe -k adlib_card
pre-remove awe_wave /sbin/modprobe -r adlib_card
# After loading awe_wave, also load adlib_card in case something wants to
# use the OPL3
options sb -k io=0x220 irq=5 dma=1 dma16=5 mpu_io=0x330
# io is "IO 0" from isapnp.conf "Audio" function , mpu_io is "IO 1"
# dma is "DMA 0" and dma16 is "DMA 1"
options adlib_card io=0x388
# io is "IO 2" from isapnp.conf "Audio" function
Regards,
/Anders
Anders Hammarquist | Mud at Kingdoms | iko@netg.se
NetGuide Scandinavia | telnet kingdoms.se 1812 | Fax: +46 31 50 79 39
http://www.netg.se | | Tel: +46 31 50 79 40
-
Re: AWE64G PNP Help [ In reply to ]
At 05:56 PM 4/19/98 +0200, Anders Hammarquist wrote:
Hello,
>>I'm currently trying to get my AWE64G card working under Linux (2.1.96)
>>and am having some problems..
>>
>>Firstly, since this is a PNP device, I'm assuming I have to use isapnp to
>>configure it, but I haven't the foggiest clue on how to go about this.
>
>Yes, unless your BIOS configures it for you (and even then, you have to
>guess where it ended up, and the BIOS may do it wrong). Start by running
>pnpdump, this will give you a list of your PNP hardware with suggested
>configurations. Uncomment one variant for each device function. The "AWE"
>portion of the card can be a bit difficult for pnpdump to get right. My
>config (AWE32, but afaik the hardware is essentially the same) for the "AWE"
>function is:
>
>(CONFIGURE CTL0044/269460895 (LD 2
># ANSI string -->WaveTable<--
>(IO 0 (BASE 0x0620))
>(IO 1 (BASE 0x0a20))
>(IO 2 (BASE 0x0e20))
>(ACT Y)
>))
I'll try this out.. pnpdump only shows (IO 0 (BASE 0x0620)), and not the
other two.. Perhaps a misreport?
Anyways, the awe_wave.o keeps on saying I have no AWE32, so it may be the
problem... Thanks. :)
>After you have chosen configurations run isapnp on the file. (You probably
>want to do this at automatically at boot. Debian systems do this if you call
>your config file /etc/isapnp.conf. I would guess Redhat is similar.)
>
>Next is the configuration of the sound driver. I would recommend using
>modules+kmod for automatic loading (works well here now). I have configured
>support for the soundblaster, generic OPL2/3, YM3812/OPL-3 and AWE32 and
>it seems to be working (haven't tried using the OPL3 though). In your
>/etc/conf.modules, you need to enter the addresses etc. for your config.
>Also, you need to add aliases so that modprobe can find your sound card.
>My config:
>
>alias char-major-14 sb
># load the "sb" module when something wants to use the sound device
>alias synth0 awe_wave
># load the "awe_wave" modules when something wants to use the sequencer
device

>post-install awe_wave /sbin/modprobe -k adlib_card
>pre-remove awe_wave /sbin/modprobe -r adlib_card
># After loading awe_wave, also load adlib_card in case something wants to
># use the OPL3
>options sb -k io=0x220 irq=5 dma=1 dma16=5 mpu_io=0x330
># io is "IO 0" from isapnp.conf "Audio" function , mpu_io is "IO 1"
># dma is "DMA 0" and dma16 is "DMA 1"
>options adlib_card io=0x388
># io is "IO 2" from isapnp.conf "Audio" function
Great! This will make life easier! I'll implement that also.. Again,
thanks. ;)
If I run accross any more problems, I'll surly post it.. This list is
extreamly helpfull.. ;)
BTW: It's neet how Eudora Pro 3.03 works under WINE.. ;)
Anyways, I'm off to try the suggestions!
-
Re: AWE64G PNP Help [ In reply to ]
I know that with linux, the idea is that it's free... However, you
might want to look at OSS. I have the same card and also had problems.
I got OSS for my desktop and my laptop (crystal audio device which is a
real pain to configure) and the OSS has worked superbly for it. And
their support for problems is amazing. I got the basic $20 package and
know I have definitly used more than that in support but they're always
willing to help. NOTE though that I only need the support for the laptop
as the AWE64 drivers are pretty golden.
Robert
Thus spake Tony Toole (linuxlists@usa.net):

Re: AWE64G PNP Help [ In reply to ]
Tony Toole wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I'm currently trying to get my AWE64G card working under Linux (2.1.96)
> and am having some problems..
>
> Firstly, since this is a PNP device, I'm assuming I have to use isapnp to
> configure it, but I haven't the foggiest clue on how to go about this.
>
> If anybody has figured out how to successful setup this, or a classic AWE64
> card, please contact me.

I have a retail AWE64 and I don't have any problems with it under linux.
(Though I don't use it a lot and only for a few small things).
Anyways. Build a 2.0.33 kernel and include the sound driver support.
Treat the card like a SB16.
I have the IO base set to 0x220, the MPU401 set to 0x330 and the IRQ
set to 5, DMAs set to 1 and 5. (use -1 for the MPU IRQ)
other than that linux does not handle setting up the PnP stuff so either
you have to use isapnp or your computer's BIOS has to set the card up.
On my motherboard I discovered I had to set the "PnP OS" setting to
"no" so that the BIOS knew it had to take care of this instead of the
OS.
Then all worked for me.
- Jeff
-