the right direction are appreciated :)

--
Lonny

Re: VBI revisited [ In reply to ]
On 01/10/2005 09:23 AM, SpEnT wrote:

>Just curious how far along vbi support is on PVR-250/350 cards is.
>I've checked the archives and sometimes it sounds like it's working
>and sometmies it sounds like it's still in dev and not working at all.

Pretty good summary of the status. ;)

>I've followed the instructions in the README.vbi file and verified my
>settings in MythTV for vbi support (although from the sounds of it,
>even though I have a vbi device in /dev, ivtv wouldn't use this as it
>puts the vbi data right in the mpeg stream?)

Correct.

>Am I not seeing vbi data maybe just because of the way MythTV
>implements it?

Exactly. Myth does not currently support VBI on PVR-x50's. There is
some work being done by Daniel Thor Kristjansson to add in support for
HDTV captions, etc. He has a lot of it in CVS, but I don't know the
status (and I haven't attempted to use it, yet.) This should also
provide support (or at least 90% of the support) for PVR-x50's embedded
VBI information.

> Is there a better way to test? Any help or kicks in
>the right direction are appreciated :)

Your best bet is to test outside of Myth. See README.vbi in the doc
directory of the IvyTV distribution for examples of enabling and
capturing VBI info. Of course, you may also want to search the archives
( http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/ivtv/ ).

Mike