Mailing List Archive

gpg-agent systemd user service [was: Re: GnuPG and SSH_AUTH_SOCK value]
On Tue 2019-06-25 13:07:03 +0200, Dirk Gottschalk via Gnupg-users wrote:
> This is my $HOME/.config/systemd/user/gpg-agent.service:

If you're using gpg-agent as a systemd user service, please use the
systemd unit files (.service and .socket definitions) that ship with
GnuPG itself.

There are a number of subtle (and not-so-subtle) problems with your
proposed gpg-agent systemd user service definition. In contrast, the
upstream one has been fairly widely tested.

If the standard upstream service doesn't work for you for some reason,
please explain why it doesn't work for you, and report it as a bug so
that we can fix it for everyone.

While you're of course free to use custom variants like this for
yourself, please don't recommend that other people use them, because it
makes it much more difficult for the GnuPG project to support other
users.

All the best,

--dkg
Re: gpg-agent systemd user service [was: Re: GnuPG and SSH_AUTH_SOCK value] [ In reply to ]
Hello.

Am Dienstag, den 25.06.2019, 11:12 -0400 schrieb Daniel Kahn Gillmor:
> On Tue 2019-06-25 13:07:03 +0200, Dirk Gottschalk via Gnupg-users
> wrote:
> > This is my $HOME/.config/systemd/user/gpg-agent.service:

> If you're using gpg-agent as a systemd user service, please use the
> systemd unit files (.service and .socket definitions) that ship with
> GnuPG itself.

Sorry, I didn't even know there are such files. I just used the
packages from Fedora and didn't look deeper into the packages. Thanks
for your Comment.

> If the standard upstream service doesn't work for you for some
> reason, please explain why it doesn't work for you, and report it as
> a bug so that we can fix it for everyone.

I'll test them this evening, thanks againm.

> While you're of course free to use custom variants like this for
> yourself, please don't recommend that other people use them, because
> it makes it much more difficult for the GnuPG project to support
> other users.

I didn't know about them and have not seen thgem in the source tree.
Pure blindness I think.

Regards,
Dirk

--
Dirk Gottschalk

GPG: 4278 1FCA 035A 9A63 4166 CE11 7544 0AD9 4996 F380
Keybase: https://keybase.io/dgottschalk
GitHub: https://github.com/Dirk1980ac
Re: gpg-agent systemd user service [was: Re: GnuPG and SSH_AUTH_SOCK value] [ In reply to ]
El día martes, junio 25, 2019 a las 11:12:43a. m. -0400, Daniel Kahn Gillmor escribió:

> On Tue 2019-06-25 13:07:03 +0200, Dirk Gottschalk via Gnupg-users wrote:
> > This is my $HOME/.config/systemd/user/gpg-agent.service:
>
> If you're using gpg-agent as a systemd user service, please use the
> systemd unit files (.service and .socket definitions) that ship with
> GnuPG itself.

Thanks for all the helping hands and hints about systemd(8), but FreeBSD
normally does not run/use this. AFAIK, there is not even an official
port of it in the FreeBSD's ports collection.

matthias

--
Matthias Apitz, ? guru@unixarea.de, http://www.unixarea.de/ +49-176-38902045
May, 9: ???????? ????????????! Thank you very much, Russian liberators!
Re: gpg-agent systemd user service [was: Re: GnuPG and SSH_AUTH_SOCK value] [ In reply to ]
On Wed 2019-06-26 07:47:11 +0200, Matthias Apitz wrote:
> Thanks for all the helping hands and hints about systemd(8), but FreeBSD
> normally does not run/use this. AFAIK, there is not even an official
> port of it in the FreeBSD's ports collection.

That's correct, systemd depends on the Linux kernel, and does not run on
FreeBSD.

Sorry that the thread diverged that far from your original request.

--dkg
Re: gpg-agent systemd user service [was: Re: GnuPG and SSH_AUTH_SOCK value] [ In reply to ]
Am Mittwoch, den 26.06.2019, 07:47 +0200 schrieb Matthias Apitz:
> El día martes, junio 25, 2019 a las 11:12:43a. m. -0400, Daniel Kahn
> Gillmor escribió:

> > On Tue 2019-06-25 13:07:03 +0200, Dirk Gottschalk via Gnupg-users
> > wrote:
> > > This is my $HOME/.config/systemd/user/gpg-agent.service:

> > If you're using gpg-agent as a systemd user service, please use the
> > systemd unit files (.service and .socket definitions) that ship
> > with
> > GnuPG itself.

> Thanks for all the helping hands and hints about systemd(8), but
> FreeBSD
> normally does not run/use this. AFAIK, there is not even an official
> port of it in the FreeBSD's ports collection.

I'm sorry, I overread that you are asking about FreeBSD. I had just
Linux in mind. Did't want to steal your time.

Regards,
Dirk