Mailing List Archive

GSoC Project EasyGnuPG Improvements
Hi all,

I am working on Easy GnuPG improvements
<https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/projects/#6456724098121728> for Google
Summer of Code 2018 mentored by Dashamir Hoxha and T K Sourab.

Dashamir suggested that some of you might be interested in this project so
I am dropping its current progress here:

The Initial scope of the project was to do complete rewrite of egpg using
python and GPGME.
Last week we tried another approach which is to replace the gpg calls with
calls to python scripts which achieve the same functionality calls to GPGME
library.

Major things done during few week:
- learning the use of GPGME following this
<http://files.au.adversary.org/crypto/GPGMEpythonHOWTOen.html> resource and
bash scripting.
- Setting up development environment (docker scripts)
- writing scripts for signing <https://github.com/EasyGnuPG/pgpg/pull/24>
and verification <https://github.com/EasyGnuPG/pgpg/pull/53> replacing the
gpg calls.

I am updating my weekly reports on this
<https://github.com/diveshuttam/GSoC18/tree/gh-pages/blog/weekly> GitHub
repo so if you are interested you can watch the repo.

If many of you are interested, and community doesn't consider these as a
noise, I can also mail my reports every week to this list.

Lastly, If community has any suggestions for the project and our approach
please reach us out through this thread.

Regards,
Divesh Uttamchandani
GitHub <https://github.com/diveshuttam> | LinkedIn
<https://www.linkedin.com/in/diveshuttam/> | University Profile
<http://www.bits-pilani.ac.in/spp/f2016045>
Re: GSoC Project EasyGnuPG Improvements [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Jun 05, 2018 at 10:48:45AM +0530, Divesh Uttamchandani wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am working on Easy GnuPG improvements
> <https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/projects/#6456724098121728> for Google
> Summer of Code 2018 mentored by Dashamir Hoxha and T K Sourab.
>
> Dashamir suggested that some of you might be interested in this project so

No doubt.

> Major things done during few week:
> - learning the use of GPGME following this
> <http://files.au.adversary.org/crypto/GPGMEpythonHOWTOen.html> resource and
> bash scripting.

Don't use that version, that's (usually) a draft version used for
testing export output. Use the version of the org-mode file that was
shipped with the version of GPGME you actually have installed. That
will be closer what's on your system.

If you want the latest documentation, that's great, but you really
ought to have the latest code to go with it. In that case, clone the
GPGME repository from git.gnupg.org and compile the latest branch.

The document you want is in lang/python/docs/GPGMEpythonHOWTOen.org.

To view a HTML version of it instead, open that file in Emacs and
export it to HTML with: C-c C-e

Followed by: h o

That will open an XHTML file in your default browser (though it may
claim you're the author down the bottom, it fibs like that and so does
LaTeX).

Regards,
Ben