Mailing List Archive

Multiple readers with scdaemon
Hello,

I recently bought a yubikey. When connecting it to my laptop that
already has a smartcard reader, gnupg is not detecting it when using pcscd.

I discovered that the readers detected by scdeamon is linked to the
order the reader has been initialized by pcscd and only the first reader
is used (as written in the manpage).

To make my yubikey work I had to add a "reader-port" option with (a
substring of) the yubikey name, but surprisingly if the yubikey is not
present it fails back to the other reader.

The situation is a bit weird, at the same time scdaemon is only using
the first reader by default, adding "reader-port" make scdaemon uses
that reader except if not present. Don't get me wrong the fact that
fails back to the 1st reader is "good" in the sense that in the end it
allows the use of 2 readers, but it's just weird IMHO.

Are there any plans to support multiples readers? Shouldn't
"reader-port" makes scdeamon really stick to that reader and not
fallback if not present (hasn't that security implications?) Shouldn't
"reader-port" matches the full name of the reader instead of a substring
of it?

Kind regards,

Laurent Bigonville

PS: I lost access to the email address of the account on the BTS, is
there a way to reset the password of it without?

Re: Multiple readers with scdaemon [ In reply to ]
Laurent Bigonville <bigon@bigon.be> wrote:
> Are there any plans to support multiples readers?

When you can disable PC/SC, multiple readers are supported by the
internal CCID driver of scdaemon (through libusb, directly).

Currently, I don't have a specific plan to support multiple readers with
PC/SC. There are different PC/SC implementations, I mean, the one of
Windows, the one of macOS, and pcsc-lite+libccid. In this situation, it
is a bit harder for me to introduce new feature to scdaemon with PC/SC.
I could test with pcsc-lite, but major users of scdaemon with PC/SC are
on Windows or macOS.

And it seems for me that PC/SC is not actively developed on Windows and
macOS. If it is the case, I'd like to put my energy to the internal
CCID driver.

BTW, I'm curious if the internal CCID driver can be used on Windows and
macOS.

Re: Multiple readers with scdaemon [ In reply to ]
Le 09/05/18 à 02:11, NIIBE Yutaka a écrit :
> Laurent Bigonville <bigon@bigon.be> wrote:
>> Are there any plans to support multiples readers?
> When you can disable PC/SC, multiple readers are supported by the
> internal CCID driver of scdaemon (through libusb, directly).

In that case I cannot use other smartcards if scdaemon is still running,
this is quite annoying.

> Currently, I don't have a specific plan to support multiple readers with
> PC/SC. There are different PC/SC implementations, I mean, the one of
> Windows, the one of macOS, and pcsc-lite+libccid. In this situation, it
> is a bit harder for me to introduce new feature to scdaemon with PC/SC.
> I could test with pcsc-lite, but major users of scdaemon with PC/SC are
> on Windows or macOS.
>
> And it seems for me that PC/SC is not actively developed on Windows and
> macOS. If it is the case, I'd like to put my energy to the internal
> CCID driver.
>
> BTW, I'm curious if the internal CCID driver can be used on Windows and
> macOS.
Isn't pcsc-lite used on MacOSX the same as the one on GNU/Linux?