Mailing List Archive

gpgme-agent (GPGME over Assuan) feedback request
Hi!

I've been messing around with a Python wrappers around GnuPG every
once and a while for a few years now, but nothing I've seen or done
has felt particularly natural. I've just finished the initial stages
of an approach that I haven't seen before: a cryptographic agent that
you can communicate with via Assuan [1]. It's similar to gpg-agent,
except instead of manging passphrases and keys, my agent signs,
encrypts, and verifies data. Because it uses GPGME to do the
cryptography, I'm calling it gpgme-agent.

If you're in another language (such as Python), I think it's easier to
communicate via sockets with a C-based agent than to use a wrapping
mechanism to call the libraries directly. On the other hand, there
may be some security issues with my approach that I'm overlooking.

Anyhow, I'd appreciate some feedback on this approach. I'm posting to
gnupg-devel rather than gnupg-users, because if people think this is a
useful approach, I'd like to flesh it out and get it included in the
standard set of GnuPG tools. If this is outside that scope, that's
fine too, and I'll keep it simpler.

Thanks,
Trevor

[1]: http://git.tremily.us/?p=gpgme-agent.git
git://tremily.us/gpgme-agent.git

Re: gpgme-agent (GPGME over Assuan) feedback request [ In reply to ]
On 03/26/2012 05:27 AM, W. Trevor King wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I've been messing around with a Python wrappers around GnuPG every
> once and a while for a few years now, but nothing I've seen or done
> has felt particularly natural. I've just finished the initial stages
> of an approach that I haven't seen before: a cryptographic agent that
> you can communicate with via Assuan [1]. It's similar to gpg-agent,
> except instead of manging passphrases and keys, my agent signs,
> encrypts, and verifies data. Because it uses GPGME to do the
> cryptography, I'm calling it gpgme-agent.

Haven't looked at it in detail yet, but are you aware of
gpgme/src/gpgme-tool.c ? It's used for testing only, so it doesn't have
much polish, but it seems vaguely related to what you are doing :)

Thanks,
Marcus

Re: gpgme-agent (GPGME over Assuan) feedback request [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Mar 26, 2012 at 03:48:40PM +0200, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
> Haven't looked at it in detail yet, but are you aware of
> gpgme/src/gpgme-tool.c ? It's used for testing only, so it doesn't have
> much polish, but it seems vaguely related to what you are doing :)

I was not aware of it ;). No need to look through my code anymore,
I'm ditching it in favor of gpgme-tool. What can I do to help polish?
It looks like there's currently no documentation…

Re: gpgme-agent (GPGME over Assuan) feedback request [ In reply to ]
On 03/26/2012 05:00 PM, W. Trevor King wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 26, 2012 at 03:48:40PM +0200, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
>> Haven't looked at it in detail yet, but are you aware of
>> gpgme/src/gpgme-tool.c ? It's used for testing only, so it doesn't have
>> much polish, but it seems vaguely related to what you are doing :)
>
> I was not aware of it ;). No need to look through my code anymore,
> I'm ditching it in favor of gpgme-tool. What can I do to help polish?
> It looks like there's currently no documentation…

Documentation is badly needed for sure. I don't really remember any
details about all the functions it provides, and what gaps there may be.
Whatever prevents you from doing your thing, I'd say.

Thanks,
Marcus