there power management settings somewhere or something similar? I'm
on xfce4.

- Grant
Re: Power management or something? [ In reply to ]
> I have a fresh install of Gentoo on my laptop and I'm having some
> trouble with the backlight that I think is related to the screen going
> into some sort of power save mode or something along those lines.  Are
> there power management settings somewhere or something similar?  I'm
> on xfce4.
>
> - Grant

I found another clue. It happens whenever I shut my laptop screen,
even for a moment. Is this some kind of sleep mode? Might I be able
to disable it in the kernel somewhere?

- Grant
Re: Re: Power management or something? [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Mar 18, 2012 at 8:54 AM, Grant <emailgrant@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I have a fresh install of Gentoo on my laptop and I'm having some
>> trouble with the backlight that I think is related to the screen going
>> into some sort of power save mode or something along those lines.  Are
>> there power management settings somewhere or something similar?  I'm
>> on xfce4.
>>
>> - Grant
>
> I found another clue.  It happens whenever I shut my laptop screen,
> even for a moment.  Is this some kind of sleep mode?  Might I be able
> to disable it in the kernel somewhere?
>
> - Grant

I had that same issue with closing the screen. I think my solution was
a KDE setting which won't help you unless there is something similar
with XFCE.

I'll boot the laptop and see if I Can spot what I did. Ah the things
we have time for when watching Hulu on a Sunday morning... ;-)

Back later,
Mark
Re: Re: Power management or something? [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Mar 18, 2012 at 9:04 AM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 18, 2012 at 8:54 AM, Grant <emailgrant@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I have a fresh install of Gentoo on my laptop and I'm having some
>>> trouble with the backlight that I think is related to the screen going
>>> into some sort of power save mode or something along those lines.  Are
>>> there power management settings somewhere or something similar?  I'm
>>> on xfce4.
>>>
>>> - Grant
>>
>> I found another clue.  It happens whenever I shut my laptop screen,
>> even for a moment.  Is this some kind of sleep mode?  Might I be able
>> to disable it in the kernel somewhere?
>>
>> - Grant
>>

> I had that same issue with closing the screen. I think my solution was
> a KDE setting which won't help you unless there is something similar
> with XFCE.
>
> I'll boot the laptop and see if I Can spot what I did. Ah the things
> we have time for when watching Hulu on a Sunday morning... ;-)
>
> Back later,
> Mark

Keeping in mind that I'm _not_ using or even testing backlighting, the
place where I controlled whether the laptop got screen locked or
hibernated was in the KDE System Settings app where I disabled all
such stuff. Now the screen just goes black when the lid is closed,
saving some power, but nothing locks, sleeps, hibernates or any other
such response.

I did nothing in the kernel that I see.

HTH,
Mark
Re: Re: Power management or something? [ In reply to ]

>>> I found another clue.  It happens whenever I shut my laptop screen,
>>> even for a moment.  Is this some kind of sleep mode?  Might I be able
>>> to disable it in the kernel somewhere?
>>>
>>> - Grant
>>>

>> I had that same issue with closing the screen. I think my solution was
>> a KDE setting which won't help you unless there is something similar
>> with XFCE.
>>
>> I'll boot the laptop and see if I Can spot what I did. Ah the things
>> we have time for when watching Hulu on a Sunday morning... ;-)
>>
>> Back later,
>> Mark
>
> Keeping in mind that I'm _not_ using or even testing backlighting, the
> place where I controlled whether the laptop got screen locked or
> hibernated was in the KDE System Settings app where I disabled all
> such stuff. Now the screen just goes black when the lid is closed,
> saving some power, but nothing locks, sleeps, hibernates or any other
> such response.
>
> I did nothing in the kernel that I see.
>
> HTH,
> Mark

Thanks Mark. I installed xfce4-power-manager thinking it would do the
trick for sure, but unfortunately the behavior is the same even after
messing with the settings. Weird....

- Grant