Mailing List Archive

Can't build firmware into kernel
I'm being working out with building KDE environment recently.
Now I need installing Xorg first. As the <The X Server Configuration HOWTO> says,
if I use radeon card ,then I need emerge radeon-ucode or linux-firmware package.
Then I need rebuild my kernel with External firmware blobs . My video card belongs
to radeon 4000 series, so I should add "radeon/R600_rlc.bin radeon/R700_rlc.bin" as
it says into External firmware blobs . But when I make, it says that it can't find files that I specific..
Can anyone help?
Re: Can't build firmware into kernel [ In reply to ]
2011/12/8 Lavender <lavender_matrix@163.com>:
> I'm being working out with building KDE environment recently.
> Now I need installing Xorg first. As the <The X Server Configuration HOWTO>
> says,
> if I use radeon card ,then I need emerge radeon-ucode or linux-firmware
> package.
> Then I need rebuild my kernel with External firmware blobs . My video card
> belongs
> to radeon 4000 series, so I should add "radeon/R600_rlc.bin
> radeon/R700_rlc.bin" as
> it says into  External firmware blobs . But when I make, it says that it
> can't find files that I specific..
> Can anyone help?
>
I maintain http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Radeon , which should sort you out.

If not, please post again & I'll update the article to be more helpful.
Re:Re: Can't build firmware into kernel [ In reply to ]
>I maintain http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Radeon , which should sort you out.
>
>If not, please post again & I'll update the article to be more helpful.
>
I'm sorry, cause the policy of Internet in my country, I can't open the webpage.Could you send it to me or use other methods?
Re: Re: Can't build firmware into kernel [ In reply to ]
2011/12/8 Lavender <lavender_matrix@163.com>:
>>I maintain http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Radeon , which should sort you out.
>>
>>If not, please post again & I'll update the article to be more helpful.
>>
>
> I'm sorry, cause the policy of Internet in my country, I can't open the
> webpage.
>
> Could you send it to me or use other methods?

Please see my off-list reply.
Re:Re: Re: Can't build firmware into kernel [ In reply to ]
>> I'm sorry, cause the policy of Internet in my country, I can't open the
>> webpage.
>>
>> Could you send it to me or use other methods?
>
>Please see my off-list reply.
>
Thanks a lot ! But I used lspci -v | less, it printed vebose information, then I looked up carefullyfor my video card, but I did not find anything about R600,R700 or other like, I'm still not clearabout R*** things , is it chipset name?
Re: Can't build firmware into kernel [ In reply to ]
Thanks a lot ! But I used lspci -v | less, it printed vebose information, then I looked up carefully
for my video card, but I did not find anything about R600,R700 or other like, I'm still not clear
about R*** things , is it chipset name?
>Hmm, I re-installed radeon-ucode package and I'm sure that I have R600_rlc.bin cause I canlocate it in /lib/firmware/ and /usr/src/linux/somewhere. But when I use make , the error message like:make[1]: *** No rule to make target `firmware/radeon/R600_rlc.bin', needed by `firmware/radeon/R600_rlc.bin.gen.o'. Stop.make: *** [firmware] Error 2
It's weird, because I think I have done all the Prerequisite correctly, so how could I
fix it out ?
Re: Can't build firmware into kernel [ In reply to ]
In linux.gentoo.user, Lavender wrote:

> Thanks a lot ! But I used lspci -v | less, it printed vebose
> information, then I looked up carefully for my video card, but I did
> not find anything about R600,R700 or other like, I'm still not clear
> about R*** things , is it chipset name?
>>Hmm, I re-installed radeon-ucode package and I'm sure that I have
>>R600_rlc.bin cause I canlocate it in /lib/firmware/ and
>>/usr/src/linux/somewhere. But when I use make , the error message
>>like:make[1]: *** No rule to make target
>>`firmware/radeon/R600_rlc.bin', needed by
>>`firmware/radeon/R600_rlc.bin.gen.o'. Stop.make: *** [firmware] Error
>>2
> It's weird, because I think I have done all the Prerequisite
> correctly, so how could I fix it out ?

I think you need:

CONFIG_PREVENT_FIRMWARE_BUILD=y

Configured into your kernel.

Have a look at your dmesg output. It should have your Radeon card
version listed. Mine is a Radeon REDWOOD chip.

Here's my kernel config relating to building firmware into the kernel:

(ignore the fact that I wastefully build in all the chip versions other
than the REDWOOD)

CONFIG_PREVENT_FIRMWARE_BUILD=y
CONFIG_FIRMWARE_IN_KERNEL=y
CONFIG_EXTRA_FIRMWARE="radeon/REDWOOD_pfp.bin radeon/REDWOOD_rlc.bin \
radeon/REDWOOD_me.bin radeon/CEDAR_pfp.bin radeon/CEDAR_rlc.bin \
radeon/CEDAR_me.bin radeon/CYPRESS_me.bin radeon/CYPRESS_pfp.bin \
radeon/CYPRESS_rlc.bin radeon/JUNIPER_me.bin radeon/JUNIPER_pfp.bin \
radeon/JUNIPER_rlc.bin carl9170-1.fw"
CONFIG_EXTRA_FIRMWARE_DIR="/lib/firmware"

--
Regards,
Gregory.
Re:Re: Can't build firmware into kernel [ In reply to ]
>I think you need:

>
>CONFIG_PREVENT_FIRMWARE_BUILD=y
>
>Configured into your kernel.
>
>Have a look at your dmesg output. It should have your Radeon card
>version listed. Mine is a Radeon REDWOOD chip.
>
>Here's my kernel config relating to building firmware into the kernel:
>
Thank you, I'll try. Hope it will be success...
>(ignore the fact that I wastefully build in all the chip versions other
>than the REDWOOD)
>
>CONFIG_PREVENT_FIRMWARE_BUILD=y
>CONFIG_FIRMWARE_IN_KERNEL=y
>CONFIG_EXTRA_FIRMWARE="radeon/REDWOOD_pfp.bin radeon/REDWOOD_rlc.bin \
>radeon/REDWOOD_me.bin radeon/CEDAR_pfp.bin radeon/CEDAR_rlc.bin \
>radeon/CEDAR_me.bin radeon/CYPRESS_me.bin radeon/CYPRESS_pfp.bin \
>radeon/CYPRESS_rlc.bin radeon/JUNIPER_me.bin radeon/JUNIPER_pfp.bin \
>radeon/JUNIPER_rlc.bin carl9170-1.fw"
>CONFIG_EXTRA_FIRMWARE_DIR="/lib/firmware"
>
>--
>Regards,
>Gregory.
>
Re: Can't build firmware into kernel [ In reply to ]
On Friday 09 Dec 2011 02:01:36 Lavender wrote:
> >> I'm sorry, cause the policy of Internet in my country, I can't open the
> >> webpage.
> >>
> >> Could you send it to me or use other methods?
> >
> >Please see my off-list reply.
>
> Thanks a lot ! But I used lspci -v | less, it printed vebose information,
> then I looked up carefullyfor my video card, but I did not find anything
> about R600,R700 or other like, I'm still not clearabout R*** things , is
> it chipset name?

No it's the gpu family. Did you look at this link on James' page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_AMD_graphics_processing_units

Above each table it tells you which RXXX you should use, if your card is
listed below.
--
Regards,
Mick
Re:Re: Can't build firmware into kernel [ In reply to ]
>No it's the gpu family. Did you look at this link on James' page:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_AMD_graphics_processing_units
>
>Above each table it tells you which RXXX you should use, if your card is
>listed below.
>
Oh, I should use RV710, that is really a long distance from R600/R700.So should I add RV710_rlc.bin into External firmware blobs ?
Re: Re: Can't build firmware into kernel [ In reply to ]
Yes, exactly. The first time you were missing
CONFIG_EXTRA_FIRMWARE_DIR, it should point to /lib/firmware if you've
emerged radeon-ucode.
Re:Re: Re: Can't build firmware into kernel [ In reply to ]
At 2011-12-10 10:42:03,"Claudio Roberto França Pereira" <spideybr@gmail.com> wrote:
>Yes, exactly. The first time you were missing
>CONFIG_EXTRA_FIRMWARE_DIR, it should point to /lib/firmware if you've
>emerged radeon-ucode.
>
Yes,that's right, when I checked my .config file I found that CONFIG_EXTRA_FIRMWARE_DIRis /firmware, then I corrected it and emerge xorg-server and twm.Command "X -configure" executed successfully , it did generate /root/xorg.conf.new.After that I used "X -config /root/xorg.conf.new" , then screen turned black andOS can't response to any input.Then I "cp /root/xorg.conf.new /etc/X11/xorg.conf" and "startx",but the result didn't change, was OS crashed?
Re: Can't build firmware into kernel [ In reply to ]
On Saturday 10 Dec 2011 03:06:25 Lavender wrote:
> At 2011-12-10 10:42:03,"Claudio Roberto França Pereira" <spideybr@gmail.com>
wrote:
> >Yes, exactly. The first time you were missing
> >CONFIG_EXTRA_FIRMWARE_DIR, it should point to /lib/firmware if you've
> >emerged radeon-ucode.
>
> Yes,that's right, when I checked my .config file I found that
> CONFIG_EXTRA_FIRMWARE_DIRis /firmware, then I corrected it and emerge
> xorg-server and twm.Command "X -configure" executed successfully , it did
> generate /root/xorg.conf.new.After that I used "X -config
> /root/xorg.conf.new" , then screen turned black andOS can't response to
> any input.Then I "cp /root/xorg.conf.new /etc/X11/xorg.conf" and
> "startx",but the result didn't change, was OS crashed?

See if you can access it using ssh from another PC. Then check
/var/log/Xorg.0.log for any error messages.
--
Regards,
Mick
Re:Re: Can't build firmware into kernel [ In reply to ]
>
>See if you can access it using ssh from another PC. Then check
>/var/log/Xorg.0.log for any error messages.
>--
>
I have checked my Xorg.0.log, there is no error message. I have a question,I read xorg.conf , I didn't find any area about Window Manage, so how xorg-server knowswhich WM to invoke when I use "X -config /etc/X11/xorg.conf" ?BTW, among my class I am the only one who uses Linux, so it's impossible to use ssh.
Re: Can't build firmware into kernel [ In reply to ]
In linux.gentoo.user, Lavender wrote:

> I have checked my Xorg.0.log, there is no error message. I have a
> question,I read xorg.conf , I didn't find any area about Window
> Manage, so how xorg-server knowswhich WM to invoke when I use "X
> -config /etc/X11/xorg.conf" ?BTW, among my class I am the only one who
> uses Linux, so it's impossible to use ssh.

Window managers are started by users. I think you are talking about
"display managers".

Xorg runs a script /etc/X11/startDM.sh. It will start up /etc/init.d/xdm
if that's the display manager defined (as it is in a default Gentoo
setup). You define which display manager you want to start in
/etc/conf.d/xdm, for example:

DISPLAYMANAGER="kdm"

This will start the KDE4 display manager.

--
Regards,
Gregory.