Mailing List Archive

pdf viewing suggestions?
Hello all,

Simple question: Can you please explain your pdf viewer of choice (and any
configs or 'hacks' I should do)? I can't find anything I like.

I've tried xpdf, epdfview, evince, kpdf, and acroread. As I am trying to
remove kdelibs from my system to reduce overhead, I'm reluctant to go for
okular, and although I had some brief experience with it, I forget my
results (still trying to replace kaffeine..that's another post maybe for
later once I'm done testing). I had gs programs of sorts for awhile, and I
forget the results, other than to say the pdf parts aren't on my machine
anymore for better or worse.

I want something fast for big files, prints well, and has an interface that
doesn't remind me of pure and natural X. I don't mind the little page
overview as a side-tool, but I don't strictly require it.

You can stop reading now, unless you care about my personal ideas on the
matter, or your suggestions are various depending on me (hey, you're an
extra nice and helpful person!).

I have a sense that many of my problems are from non-conforming pdf files,
besides viewing lots of pdfs and being a picky person.

Particularly, epdfview will sometimes ask me for a password claiming the
file is locked, and I'd googled this, probably gotten gentoo-user mailing
hits, and had evidence this was from other systems not properly following
standards. I just had epdfview spit out a file to the printer with fixed
font even though the original is not using fixed fonts; I suspect this pdf
was generated with some godforsaken MS product (who writes a PhD thesis for
physics in Word: go home, eat bleach, and die, thx).

evince will take an arbitrarily long time to print documents that are long
or have big figures.

The interface for xpdf is pretty lame (especially default printing), but
it's quick as demons chasing bats out of hell.

I used kpdf for years and loved it, but there was a bug found, and as the
Gentoo team was stabilizing okular / kde4, this was marked for removal
(well, and kde3.5 shortly thereafter). But it wasn't like xpdf for browsing
large pdf files quickly I don't think. And since I didn't like kde4 and now
don't use kdelibs, even if kpdf wasn't in that state, I might avoid it
anyway.

I have to confess to the Preview program being probably the single best part
of Mac OS from my experience, but even this had a host of problems (and is
irrelevant to Linux systems anyway). That one had non-Aqua conforming
behavior for the Open dialogue (double click on a directory was interpreted
to "Open all applicable files in this directory" and Preview is associated
with anything that can be human-readable basically, so you can imagine my
screams of death everyday..and Mac closed and deleted my bug report, even
though no other default Aqua programs I tested use this behavior), and I
have cases of non-conforming code it generated and images it can't print
correctly that everything in Linux can.

Basically, I want something that doesn't piss me off for any obvious reason.
kpdf was that program (but it still could have been faster I thought, and
ate up cache space, which shouldn't go together...but I'm speaking of
repeatedly viewing a ~100 MB file with changes, so yeah...).

If I offended anyone who is near and dear to pdf viewers, please tell me how
and why I am stupid. I'm using gtk libraries right now, but if, say, okular
is really that super awesome, I might install all the qt and kde stuffs to
try it again.

After browsing portage, I'm now doing (some looking shiny and not reader
related):
daid@flux ~ % emerge eselect-pdftex pdfcrack gsview gspdf

and I wonder why the ruby pdf-reader is only on amd64?

Regards,
daid
Re: pdf viewing suggestions? [ In reply to ]
On 02/24/2010 06:01 PM, daid kahl wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Simple question: Can you please explain your pdf viewer of choice (and
> any configs or 'hacks' I should do)? I can't find anything I like.
>
> I've tried xpdf, epdfview, evince, kpdf, and acroread. As I am trying
> to remove kdelibs from my system to reduce overhead, I'm reluctant to go
> for okular, and although I had some brief experience with it, I forget
> my results (still trying to replace kaffeine..that's another post maybe
> for later once I'm done testing). I had gs programs of sorts for
> awhile, and I forget the results, other than to say the pdf parts aren't
> on my machine anymore for better or worse.

There's also Foxit Reader. You can find it in the "rion" overlay.
Re: pdf viewing suggestions? [ In reply to ]
There's app-text/gv, which is very small. There's also page from plan9port.
If you want to try out page, don't install plan9port from portage, it's
horribly out of date. You should download a recent tarball from
http://swtch.com/plan9port.

--
I am a man who does not exist for others.
Re: Re: pdf viewing suggestions? [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 06:06:46PM +0200, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
> On 02/24/2010 06:01 PM, daid kahl wrote:
> > Hello all,
> >
> > Simple question: Can you please explain your pdf viewer of choice (and
> > any configs or 'hacks' I should do)? I can't find anything I like.
> >
> > I've tried xpdf, epdfview, evince, kpdf, and acroread. As I am trying
> > to remove kdelibs from my system to reduce overhead, I'm reluctant to go
> > for okular, and although I had some brief experience with it, I forget
> > my results (still trying to replace kaffeine..that's another post maybe
> > for later once I'm done testing). I had gs programs of sorts for
> > awhile, and I forget the results, other than to say the pdf parts aren't
> > on my machine anymore for better or worse.
>
> There's also Foxit Reader. You can find it in the "rion" overlay.

Does Foxit Reader support editing pdf files (By editing I mean making notes in them etc.), I've been having some trouble finding a pdf-reader that allowed that.
If anyone has any suggestions as to what pdf readers (other than okular) do it, I'd be very grateful :-)

--
Zeerak Waseem
Re: Re: pdf viewing suggestions? [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 06:19:52PM +0100, Zeerak Mustafa Waseem wrote:
> Does Foxit Reader support editing pdf files (By editing I mean making notes in them etc.), I've been having some trouble finding a pdf-reader that allowed that.
> If anyone has any suggestions as to what pdf readers (other than okular) do it, I'd be very grateful :-)

I don't use a PDF reader for that :)

I manage my PDF documents with Jabref, and I add a comment field to
store general comments about the PDF. For margin-notes I use the
PDF-annotation feature of xournal.

Willie W. Wong wwong@math.princeton.edu
et vice versa ~~~ I. Newton
Re: pdf viewing suggestions? [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 01:01:37AM +0900, daid kahl wrote:
> I've tried xpdf, epdfview, evince, kpdf, and acroread.

> I want something fast for big files, prints well, and has an interface that
> doesn't remind me of pure and natural X. I don't mind the little page
> overview as a side-tool, but I don't strictly require it.

Speedwise I don't think epdfview/evince/kpdf will be all that much
different. They are all based on the poppler framework just with
different frontends. Poppler is, in turn, based on the xpdf rendering
parts.

Acroread is, well acroread, and I try to avoid it whenever I can.

> evince will take an arbitrarily long time to print documents that are long
> or have big figures.

That's odd. I use evince at work (though not on gentoo; work computer
is a heavily customized version of scientific linux) and I don't have
the printing problem. If it weren't for the Gnome dependencies that I
don't want on my laptop, I'd also use evince at home. (Hum, just
checked it out again now, and it looks like the dependency list is
shorter than I remembered it being?)

> The interface for xpdf is pretty lame (especially default printing), but
> it's quick as demons chasing bats out of hell.

But it works. It is my pdf viewer of choice at home.

One thing I am waiting to see is epdf from the enlightenment
libraries. It is still masked, and is in the enlightenment overlay.
In the sunrise overlay there is a program called apvlv. I have never
tried it myself, but the codebase is small and it has a UI based on
the VIM UI (for better or for worse).

You probably know this already, but gv doesn't work too well a lot of
times.

Unfortunately there aren't that many pdf viewing softwares to choose from.

Re: Re: pdf viewing suggestions? [ In reply to ]
On 25 February 2010 02:46, Willie Wong <wwong@math.princeton.edu> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 06:19:52PM +0100, Zeerak Mustafa Waseem wrote:
> > Does Foxit Reader support editing pdf files (By editing I mean making
> notes in them etc.), I've been having some trouble finding a pdf-reader that
> allowed that.
> > If anyone has any suggestions as to what pdf readers (other than okular)
> do it, I'd be very grateful :-)
> >
> I don't use a PDF reader for that :)
>
> I manage my PDF documents with Jabref, and I add a comment field to
> store general comments about the PDF. For margin-notes I use the
> PDF-annotation feature of xournal.

> Willie W. Wong
> wwong@math.princeton.edu

jabref is totally amazing, and I also use that. I can fully endorse it to
anyone using bibtex sorts of things.

~daid
Re: pdf viewing suggestions? [ In reply to ]
[snips from daid / Willie Wong]
> > evince will take an arbitrarily long time to print documents that are long
> > or have big figures.
>
> That's odd. I use evince at work (though not on gentoo; work computer
> is a heavily customized version of scientific linux) and I don't have
> the printing problem.
[snip]

[.also sorry if I used HTML formatting earlier, sometimes it is turned
on for me and I forget]

It could have been this crazy pdf I was printing, which was one of the
first times I was really using evince a lot since other things were
also complaining. I had pdftk'ed different files, and I think some of
them were like US Letter and others were A4 and others weren't
specified. Well, I kind of erased that experience from my memory, but
I know almost everything on different OSes didn't like what I'd done,
whatever it was. So this could be a very bad test case. There was
something else in my mind from testing it that made me kind of shiver
in a bad way, but I forget. It should be a good program from what I
know, however.

> > The interface for xpdf is pretty lame (especially default printing), but
> > it's quick as demons chasing bats out of hell.
>
> But it works. It is my pdf viewer of choice at home.
[snip]

I'll check out what I can do for printing from it and maybe making it prettier.

> You probably know this already, but gv doesn't work too well a lot of
> times.

Yeah, I kinda forget, but I assume it wasn't removed from my world for
no reason at all.

> Unfortunately there aren't that many pdf viewing softwares to choose from.

We seem to be doing well so far!

~daid
Re: pdf viewing suggestions? [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 12:19 PM, daid kahl <daidxor@gmail.com> wrote:
> [snips from daid / Willie Wong]

>> Unfortunately there aren't that many pdf viewing softwares to choose from.
>
> We seem to be doing well so far!

I use mupdf with OpenBSD and I like it (vi-like bindings). Not too
sure if Gentoo has the port/package. A quick "gentoo mupdf" google had
a few hits . . . but I didn't look at any of the links to see what
they were talking about.

-Neal
Re: pdf viewing suggestions? [ In reply to ]
Am 24.02.2010 21:21, schrieb Neal Hogan:
> On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 12:19 PM, daid kahl <daidxor@gmail.com> wrote:
>> [snips from daid / Willie Wong]
>

>>> Unfortunately there aren't that many pdf viewing softwares to choose from.
>>
>> We seem to be doing well so far!
>
> I use mupdf with OpenBSD and I like it (vi-like bindings). Not too
> sure if Gentoo has the port/package. A quick "gentoo mupdf" google had
> a few hits . . . but I didn't look at any of the links to see what
> they were talking about.
>
> -Neal

Shao ~ # eix mupdf
* app-text/mupdf
Available versions: (~)0.5[1] (~)20090703[2] {+cjk debug jbig jpeg2k}
Homepage: http://ccxvii.net/mupdf
portable C.

[1] "gentoo-china" layman/gentoo-china
[2] "rion" layman/rion

It is not in portage tree but in those two overlays.

Greetings

Sebastian
Re: pdf viewing suggestions? [ In reply to ]
On 2010-02-24, Sebastian Be?ler <sebastian@darkmetatron.de> wrote:
> Am 24.02.2010 21:21, schrieb Neal Hogan:
>> On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 12:19 PM, daid kahl <daidxor@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> [snips from daid / Willie Wong]

>>> We seem to be doing well so far!
>>
>> I use mupdf with OpenBSD and I like it (vi-like bindings). Not too
>> sure if Gentoo has the port/package. A quick "gentoo mupdf" google had
>> a few hits . . . but I didn't look at any of the links to see what
>> they were talking about.
>
> Shao ~ # eix mupdf
> * app-text/mupdf
> Available versions: (~)0.5[1] (~)20090703[2] {+cjk debug jbig jpeg2k}
> Homepage: http://ccxvii.net/mupdf
> portable C.
>
> [1] "gentoo-china" layman/gentoo-china
> [2] "rion" layman/rion
>
> It is not in portage tree but in those two overlays.

I just built mupdf 0.5 from sources (after emerging ftjam), and
mupdf segfaulted a few pages into the first document I opened.
That and the inability to search are going to make it a
non-starter for me.

It is small and fast, though.

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! It's some people
at inside the wall! This is
Re: pdf viewing suggestions? [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 02:21:39PM -0600, Neal Hogan wrote:
> I use mupdf with OpenBSD and I like it (vi-like bindings). Not too
> sure if Gentoo has the port/package. A quick "gentoo mupdf" google had
> a few hits . . . but I didn't look at any of the links to see what
> they were talking about.

http://bugs.gentoo.org/280469

I hope it at least makes into sunrise. There is a version or two in
the gentoo-china overlay, but they are old and have security
vulnerabilities.

Re: pdf viewing suggestions? [ In reply to ]
Hi,

I cannot use mupdf at all.
I've emerged mupdf-938 after adding it to my local overlay.

But, when it comes up it displays the first page but I cannot
do anything else.
There is no menu, it doesn't respond to the mouse or the PgUp/PgDn
keys. So I can only view the very first page or exit.
No search, no printing ...

What am I missing?
Helmut.

On 24 Feb, Willie Wong wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 02:21:39PM -0600, Neal Hogan wrote:
>> I use mupdf with OpenBSD and I like it (vi-like bindings). Not too
>> sure if Gentoo has the port/package. A quick "gentoo mupdf" google had
>> a few hits . . . but I didn't look at any of the links to see what
>> they were talking about.
>
> http://bugs.gentoo.org/280469
>
> I hope it at least makes into sunrise. There is a version or two in
> the gentoo-china overlay, but they are old and have security
> vulnerabilities.

Helmut Jarausch

Lehrstuhl fuer Numerische Mathematik
RWTH - Aachen University
D 52056 Aachen, Germany
Re: pdf viewing suggestions? [ In reply to ]
The quoted stated "vi-like bindings", so I would advise you to state
that you've tried the j & k keys for up & down.

If the previous poster has bottom-posted, your top-posting makes the
quuoted *particularly* difficult to read. I hope you will follow the
conventions of the previous poster in the future.

Stroller.

Re: pdf viewing suggestions? [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 2:47 AM, Helmut Jarausch
<jarausch@igpm.rwth-aachen.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I cannot use mupdf at all.
> I've emerged mupdf-938 after adding it to my local overlay.
>
> But, when it comes up it displays the first page but I cannot
> do anything else.
> There is no menu, it doesn't respond to the mouse or the PgUp/PgDn
> keys. So I can only view the very first page or exit.
> No search, no printing ...
>
> What am I missing?

The documentation?

Re: pdf viewing suggestions? [ In reply to ]
Thanks to 'Stroller' and Willie
I couldn't just believe in such an archaic user interface.
Helmut.

Re: pdf viewing suggestions? [ In reply to ]
On Thursday 25 February 2010 12:45:34 Neal Hogan wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 2:47 AM, Helmut Jarausch
>
> <jarausch@igpm.rwth-aachen.de> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I cannot use mupdf at all.
> > I've emerged mupdf-938 after adding it to my local overlay.
> >
> > But, when it comes up it displays the first page but I cannot
> > do anything else.
> > There is no menu, it doesn't respond to the mouse or the PgUp/PgDn
> > keys. So I can only view the very first page or exit.
> > No search, no printing ...
> >
> > What am I missing?
>
> The documentation?

http://ccxvii.net/mupdf/

Look at the bottom of the page under "Manual".
Mick
Re: pdf viewing suggestions? [ In reply to ]
On 2010-02-25, Mick <michaelkintzios@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> What am I missing?
>>
>> The documentation?
>
> http://ccxvii.net/mupdf/
>
> Look at the bottom of the page under "Manual".

I had the same problem: I expected there to be some usage
documentation in the source tarball. There isn't (at least any
that I could find). Eventually I went back to the web site...

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! Can I have an IMPULSE
at ITEM instead?