Mailing List Archive

Can't login on Courier-imap server
I have installed Courier-imap on my server and I'm trying to test it,
which is not going that well...

When I try to telnet in to it I can connect but I can't log in.

Am I using the right commands when I test?

This is the output from telnet

telnet 127.0.0.1 imap
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to 127.0.0.1.
Escape character is '^]'.
* OK [.CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 UIDPLUS CHILDREN NAMESPACE
THREAD=ORDEREDSUBJECT THREAD=REFERENCES SORT QUOTA IDLE ACL ACL2=UNION
STARTTLS] Courier-IMAP ready. Copyright 1998-2005 Double Precision,
Inc. See COPYING for distribution information.
login second@domain2.com
login NO Error in IMAP command received by server.
Connection closed by foreign host.

--

Regards / Venlig hilsen

Johannes Skov Frandsen

*Address:* Egelundsvej 18, DK-5260 Odense S
*Web:* www.omesc.com | *Email:* joe@omesc.com

--
gentoo-user@gentoo.org mailing list
Re: Can't login on Courier-imap server [ In reply to ]
On Wednesday 13 June 2007 03:38:58 Johannes Skov Frandsen wrote:
> I have installed Courier-imap on my server and I'm trying to test it,
> which is not going that well...
>
> When I try to telnet in to it I can connect but I can't log in.
>
> Am I using the right commands when I test?

Yes, but you are using the wrong format. All IMAP commands and responses are
prefixed by a 4-character string and a space. This way a command can have
multiple responses and multiple commands can be sent before the response for
the first is received. (The client matches responses to commands based on
matching prefixes.)

So, you'll probably want your first line to be something like:
AAAA login your_username

--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.
bss03@volumehost.net ((_/)o o(\_))
ICQ: 514984 YM/AIM: DaTwinkDaddy `-'(. .)`-'
http://iguanasuicide.org/ \_/
Re: Can't login on Courier-imap server [ In reply to ]
Hi,

On Wed, 13 Jun 2007 10:38:58 +0200 Johannes Skov Frandsen
<joe@omesc.com> wrote:

> I have installed Courier-imap on my server and I'm trying to test it,
> which is not going that well...
>
> When I try to telnet in to it I can connect but I can't log in.
>
> Am I using the right commands when I test?

No, not really.

> This is the output from telnet
>
> telnet 127.0.0.1 imap
> Trying 127.0.0.1...
> Connected to 127.0.0.1.
> Escape character is '^]'.
> * OK [.CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 UIDPLUS CHILDREN NAMESPACE
> THREAD=ORDEREDSUBJECT THREAD=REFERENCES SORT QUOTA IDLE ACL ACL2=UNION
> STARTTLS] Courier-IMAP ready. Copyright 1998-2005 Double Precision,
> Inc. See COPYING for distribution information.
> login second@domain2.com
> login NO Error in IMAP command received by server.
> Connection closed by foreign host.

You need to prefix the command by a sequence that identifies the query.
Also, you need to pass a password to the "login" command. So what you
should have issued is "01 LOGIN user password". Further details in
RFC 3501 (http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc3501.html).

-hwh
--
gentoo-user@gentoo.org mailing list
Re: [solved] Can't login on Courier-imap server [ In reply to ]
Hans-Werner Hilse wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, 13 Jun 2007 10:38:58 +0200 Johannes Skov Frandsen
> <joe@omesc.com> wrote:
>
>
>> I have installed Courier-imap on my server and I'm trying to test it,
>> which is not going that well...
>>
>> When I try to telnet in to it I can connect but I can't log in.
>>
>> Am I using the right commands when I test?
>>
>
> No, not really.
>
>
>> This is the output from telnet
>>
>> telnet 127.0.0.1 imap
>> Trying 127.0.0.1...
>> Connected to 127.0.0.1.
>> Escape character is '^]'.
>> * OK [.CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 UIDPLUS CHILDREN NAMESPACE
>> THREAD=ORDEREDSUBJECT THREAD=REFERENCES SORT QUOTA IDLE ACL ACL2=UNION
>> STARTTLS] Courier-IMAP ready. Copyright 1998-2005 Double Precision,
>> Inc. See COPYING for distribution information.
>> login second@domain2.com
>> login NO Error in IMAP command received by server.
>> Connection closed by foreign host.
>>
>
> You need to prefix the command by a sequence that identifies the query.
> Also, you need to pass a password to the "login" command. So what you
> should have issued is "01 LOGIN user password". Further details in
> RFC 3501 (http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc3501.html).
>
> -hwh
>
Thanks... that solved that problem... I can now login.

--

Regards / Venlig hilsen

Johannes Skov Frandsen

*Address:* Egelundsvej 18, DK-5260 Odense S
*Web:* www.omesc.com | *Email:* joe@omesc.com

--
gentoo-user@gentoo.org mailing list