Mailing List Archive

Dependency info is missing and /sbin/depscan.sh is not helpful
Hi folks,

I've been updating my system recently (emerge -u world). I've stopped
the update process with ctrl-c in order to turn the PC off. After
relaunching in the middle of the runlevel 1, right after "configuring
kernel parameters, updating environment , cleaning /var/lock, /var/run
and /tmp", I've been informed that:

Dependency info is missing! Please run
# /sbin/depscan.sh
to fix this.

To make the impression even bigger each line has got a red star in
front of it. This error is displayed twice, than system is entering
runlevel 3, displays the same message once more and allows me to log
in:

This is (none).unknown_domain (Linux i686 kernel version, etc.)
(none) login:

I logged in as the root and gave depscan.sh a try. No output has been
shown. I checked the output of '/sbin/depscan.sh --help' and
accordingly to information given I tried:

# /sbin/depscan.sh -u
* Caching service dependencies ...
sh: /bin/mktemp: No such file or dir
* Failed to create temporary cache!
bash: /var/lib/init.d/depcache: No such file or dir
sh: /bin/mktemp: No such file or dir
* Failed to create temporary cache!
gawk: /lib/rcscripts/awk/gendepends.awk:506: fatal error: expression
for redirection ">>" has a 0 lenght string
* Failed to cache service dependencies

The one but last line is displayed in Polish so what you can see above
is my hope-it-is-verbatim translation into English. I've tried to
'emerge mktemp' but I realised soon that I'm offline and I cannot
'/etc/init.d/net.eth0 restart' because I get the same error -
"Dependency info is missing!".

I've tried to google around and find a solution to this problem, but
despite finding few quite similar problems I haven't found anything
which would help me with this particular difficulty.

I would be very glad if you could support me'

Best regards,
Jan Stepien

--
Mail jano at stepien com pl
Jabber jano at jabber aster pl
Re: Dependency info is missing and /sbin/depscan.sh is not helpful [ In reply to ]
Jan Stępień wrote:
> I would be very glad if you could support me'
What exactly were you in the middle up updating when you rebooted the
system? What had been updated already before that? It sounds like
something crucial to the system. I would recommend booting using the
livecd and then chrooting into your environment and trying to fix the
system from there.

--
Randy Barlow
http://www.electronsweatshop.com

Re: Dependency info is missing and /sbin/depscan.sh is not helpful [ In reply to ]
2007/1/24, Randy Barlow <randy@electronsweatshop.com>:
> What exactly were you in the middle up updating when you rebooted the
> system? What had been updated already before that?

I can't remember what was it exactly. I'll try to skim the logs, I
hope I'll find something over there. Besides, I'm quite sure I had got
a segmentation fault errors while trying to emerge glibc, so I skipped
it with --skipfirst option. Do you think that those problems may be
related somehow?

> something crucial to the system. I would recommend booting using the
> livecd and then chrooting into your environment and trying to fix the
> system from there.

Thanks, I've already thought about it. I'm planning to do it tomorrow,
as it is almost midnight over here. I will do what I can and report
the results.

Thank you for your feedback.

Regards,
Jan Stepien

Re: Dependency info is missing and /sbin/depscan.sh is not helpful [ In reply to ]
Problem solved. All I had to do was booting with a live Linux, chrooting
to my Gentoo installation and

# emerge mktemp
# /sbin/depscan.sh --update

Regards,