Mailing List Archive

Installing gentoo on a PowerBook 17 dual boot
Hi!

I am exploring the idea of installing gentoo on my PowerBook in dual
boot fashion. Is there a way to install without uninstalling my current
OSX distro? I think the trick would be to create new partitions out of
the existing unused space in my current OSX partitions. Anyone done
anything like this?

Thanks!

Matthew Polashek

Project Editor - Editorial Services Group

Macmillian/McGraw-Hill

Two Penn Plaza

New York, NY 10121

<http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/>
Re: Installing gentoo on a PowerBook 17 dual boot [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Jan 26, 2005 at 03:19:07PM -0500, Polashek, Matthew wrote:
> Hi!
>

> I am exploring the idea of installing gentoo on my PowerBook in dual
> boot fashion. Is there a way to install without uninstalling my current
> OSX distro? I think the trick would be to create new partitions out of
> the existing unused space in my current OSX partitions. Anyone done
> anything like this?

Hi,

I guess most of us did reinstall MacOS-X (with a smaller partition)
or erase it.

However there are some patches to parted to resize hfs+
partitions :
check http://xilun.nerim.net/Projet/Parted/parted-1.6.19-hfs-16.tar.bz2
Try to contact k_guillaume@libertysurf.fr before any attempt and
DO backups (as it is risky).

Installation on an external firewire disk might be safer.
It's a bit tricky but I did it and run Gentoo without problems.
Search in the forums and ring me a bell if you don't manage
to get it working.

Regards,

SL/

Re: Installing gentoo on a PowerBook 17 dual boot [ In reply to ]
> > I am exploring the idea of installing gentoo on my PowerBook in dual
> > boot fashion. Is there a way to install without uninstalling my current
> > OSX distro? I think the trick would be to create new partitions out of
> > the existing unused space in my current OSX partitions. Anyone done
> > anything like this?

I'd recomend using CarbonCopyCloner (bombich.com - free but not Free)
to make backups. It works really well, and can make either bootable
backups, or disk images for you.

Michael

Re: Installing gentoo on a PowerBook 17 dual boot [ In reply to ]
* Stephane Lentz <milter@free.fr> [05/01/26 22:38 +0100]:
> However there are some patches to parted to resize hfs+
> partitions :
> check http://xilun.nerim.net/Projet/Parted/parted-1.6.19-hfs-16.tar.bz2
> Try to contact k_guillaume@libertysurf.fr before any attempt and
> DO backups (as it is risky).

That's the way I shrinked my Mac OS X partition. Worked
pretty well, but it is a risk.

The Gentoo LiveCDs has such a parted installed, but it
worked out, that these version could not resize HFS+ any
more. I think the last CD that worked well was a 1.4
LiveCD.

Regards, Lars
RE: Installing gentoo on a PowerBook 17 dual boot [ In reply to ]
Sounds complicated and risky. Perhaps a reinstallation of OSX, post
partitioning and Gentoo installation, is best in the end. Thanks for
the input!