Mailing List Archive

General questions about translating
Hi,
I'm translating Gentoo Handbook into czech (bug #85940 for those
interrested) and I'm in doubt on how much accurate the translation
should be:

1) In handbook/hb-install-system.xml is a description about glibc's
userlocales USE flag and some examples about german locales. Is it OK to
convert these into cs_CZ? I wonder if it would break some policy or
something :-)

2) Similar thing about rsync mirrors - czech language is used only in
central Europe, so may I alter default rsync settings to
rsync.europe.gentoo.org? IMHO I can.

3) Is it possible to translate also files outside the /doc/ directory?
/main/en/mirrors.xml could be a good candidate as it is linked from
Handbok several times. This file is not included in metadoc.xml, BTW. I
see that FR has /main/fr/{about|contract}.xml, are there any special
reqquirements for those? I can imagine that Gentoo won't trust
translations of docs such closely related to mainpage submitted by
unknown user...

TIA,
-jkt

--
cd /local/pub && more beer > /dev/mouth


--
gentoo-doc@gentoo.org mailing list
Re: General questions about translating [ In reply to ]
Jan Kundrát wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm translating Gentoo Handbook into czech (bug #85940 for those
> interrested) and I'm in doubt on how much accurate the translation
> should be:
>
> 1) In handbook/hb-install-system.xml is a description about glibc's
> userlocales USE flag and some examples about german locales. Is it OK to
> convert these into cs_CZ? I wonder if it would break some policy or
> something :-)

That's ok, you are encouraged to make localization changes to the
installation instructions. Of course, if a language is used in several
countries, a good default is still needed.

> 2) Similar thing about rsync mirrors - czech language is used only in
> central Europe, so may I alter default rsync settings to
> rsync.europe.gentoo.org? IMHO I can.

Sure.

> 3) Is it possible to translate also files outside the /doc/ directory?
> /main/en/mirrors.xml could be a good candidate as it is linked from
> Handbok several times. This file is not included in metadoc.xml, BTW. I
> see that FR has /main/fr/{about|contract}.xml, are there any special
> reqquirements for those? I can imagine that Gentoo won't trust
> translations of docs such closely related to mainpage submitted by
> unknown user...

That's okay. Yes, you can translate such files as well, we don't mind.
But I'm not quite convinced why you would need to translate
/main/en/mirrors.xml, after all, it's just a huge sum-up of all our
mirrors and hardly has any text in it.

Plus that it is touched by many people (infa-wise) which sometimes lack
understanding of "version bumping" (although this has dramatically
improved lately).

Wkr,
Sven Vermeulen

--
^__^ And Larry saw that it was Good.
(oo) Sven Vermeulen
(__) http://www.gentoo.org Documentation & PR

--
gentoo-doc@gentoo.org mailing list
Re: General questions about translating [ In reply to ]
Jan Kundrát wrote:
> ...

Sorry for double-post, please ignore the other message.

BTW, everytime I send message to gentoo-doc, I got a bounce from
gordon@23s.com:

Received: from sb949.web2010.com (sss@localhost [127.0.0.1])
by sb949.web2010.com (8.12.10/8.9.0) with ESMTP id j2P2T1aJ012328
for <jan.kundrat@fzu.cz>; Thu, 24 Mar 2005 21:29:02 -0500 (EST)
Received: by sb949.web2010.com (8.12.10/8.12.8/Submit) id j2P2T1xK012325;
Thu, 24 Mar 2005 21:29:01 -0500 (EST)
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2005 21:29:01 -0500 (EST)
Message-Id: <200503250229.j2P2T1xK012325@sb949.web2010.com>
To: jan.kundrat@fzu.cz (=?UTF-8?B?SmFuIEt1bmRyw6F0?=)
From: MAILER-DAEMON@bounced-mail.com
X-Loop: MAILER-DAEMON@bounced-mail.com
Subject: Undeliverable: Returned mail: see transcript for details

Your message

Sent: Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2005 22:15:10 +0100


did not reach the following recipient(s):

> "<gordon@23s.com>";

The e-mail account does not exist at the organization this message was
sent to. Check the e-mail address, or contact the recipient directly to
find out the correct address.

------------------- Full Headers of the Undeliverable Message
------------------
To: gentoo-doc@lists.gentoo.org



Received: from parrot.gentoo.org (lists.gentoo.org [156.56.111.196])
by sb949.web2010.com (8.12.10/8.9.0) with ESMTP id j2P2SwaJ012296
for <gordon@23s.com>; Thu, 24 Mar 2005 21:28:59 -0500 (EST)

Message-ID: <42432DDE.20302@fzu.cz>


--
cd /local/pub && more beer > /dev/mouth

--
gentoo-doc@gentoo.org mailing list
Re: General questions about translating [ In reply to ]
Sven Vermeulen wrote:
> Jan Kundrát wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> I'm translating Gentoo Handbook into czech (bug #85940 for those
>> interrested) and I'm in doubt on how much accurate the translation
>> should be:
>>
>> 1) In handbook/hb-install-system.xml is a description about glibc's
>> userlocales USE flag and some examples about german locales. Is it OK to
>> convert these into cs_CZ? I wonder if it would break some policy or
>> something :-)
>
> That's ok, you are encouraged to make localization changes to the
> installation instructions. Of course, if a language is used in several
> countries, a good default is still needed.

Indeed, by all means do.

>> 2) Similar thing about rsync mirrors - czech language is used only in
>> central Europe, so may I alter default rsync settings to
>> rsync.europe.gentoo.org? IMHO I can.
>
> Sure.
>
> > 3) Is it possible to translate also files outside the /doc/ directory?
>
>> /main/en/mirrors.xml could be a good candidate as it is linked from
>> Handbok several times. This file is not included in metadoc.xml, BTW.
>> I see that FR has /main/fr/{about|contract}.xml, are there any special
>> reqquirements for those? I can imagine that Gentoo won't trust
>> translations of docs such closely related to mainpage submitted by
>> unknown user...
>
> That's okay. Yes, you can translate such files as well, we don't mind.
> But I'm not quite convinced why you would need to translate
> /main/en/mirrors.xml, after all, it's just a huge sum-up of all our
> mirrors and hardly has any text in it.

/main/fr/{about|contract}.xml should be translated eventually, one thing at a
time.
I don't think mirrors.xml is a good candidate either.
Maybe if it could have a section with an id per country, we could link to the
right section from translations, like in
http://dev.gentoo.org/~neysx/gentoo.org/main/en/mirrors.xml.html

Other docs under /proj are open for translation.

>> BTW, everytime I send message to gentoo-doc,
>> I got a bounce from gordon@23s.com:

I used to as well, .procmailrc redirects them to /dev/null
lcars just removed that email, it should not bounce anymore.


Cheers,
--
/ Xavier Neys
\_ Gentoo Documentation Project
/ French & Internationalisation Lead
\ http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en
/\
Re: General questions about translating [ In reply to ]
Xavier Neys wrote:
> I don't think mirrors.xml is a good candidate either.
> Maybe if it could have a section with an id per country, we could link
> to the right section from translations, like in
> http://dev.gentoo.org/~neysx/gentoo.org/main/en/mirrors.xml.html

Yep, something like that.

> >> BTW, everytime I send message to gentoo-doc,
> >> I got a bounce from gordon@23s.com:
>
> I used to as well, .procmailrc redirects them to /dev/null
> lcars just removed that email, it should not bounce anymore.

Thanks.

-jkt

--
cd /local/pub && more beer > /dev/mouth
--
gentoo-doc@gentoo.org mailing list