Mailing List Archive

Releng breakage with respect to move from dev-python/python-exec to dev-lang/python-exec
Hi everyone,

This is a followup to a discussion on IRC yesterday regarding breakage
that's occurring to catalyst builds as a result of the recent move from
dev-python/python-exec to dev-lang/python-exec. The commit of the later
were pushed into the tree with all KEYWORDS marked stable using repoman
--force [1]. In catalyst runs where stage1's are built from stage3's
this leads to the following blockage:

[ebuild N ] sys-devel/automake-1.13.4 to /tmp/stage1root/
[ebuild N ] sys-fs/eudev-1.1 to /tmp/stage1root/ USE="-doc -gudev
-hwdb -introspection -keymap -kmod -modutils -openrc -rule-generator
(-selinux) -static-libs {-test}"
[ebuild N ] virtual/udev-200 to /tmp/stage1root/ USE="-gudev -hwdb
-introspection -keymap -kmod (-selinux) -static-libs"
[blocks B ] <dev-python/python-exec-10000
("<dev-python/python-exec-10000" is blocking dev-lang/python-exec-0.3.1)

I was only able to solve this by manually chrooting and running the following

emerge --unmerge python-exec
ROOT=/ emerge dev-lang/python-exec

I have to do this on 12 stage3's which is work.

Can I please ask the python team to be more careful and announce such
commits beforehand so they can be assessed by the community.

Ref.
[1]
http://sources.gentoo.org/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi/gentoo-x86/dev-lang/python-exec/ChangeLog?view=log

--
Anthony G. Basile, Ph.D.
Gentoo Linux Developer [Hardened]
Re: Releng breakage with respect to move from dev-python/python-exec to dev-lang/python-exec [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 02 Nov 2013 09:16:45 -0400
"Anthony G. Basile" <blueness@gentoo.org> wrote:

> This is a followup to a discussion on IRC yesterday regarding
> breakage that's occurring to catalyst builds as a result of the
> recent move from dev-python/python-exec to dev-lang/python-exec.

This has been happening to users as well, for example:

http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-973998.html
http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-974412.html

To move forward and get this resolved, some questions:

1. Has this been resolved for users? Do they just need to sync?
2. If not resolved for users, what is the best temporary workaround?
3. Are you able to fix this? Do you need help to fix this?
4. Depending on the nature of the fix: Would a news item be needed?

From what I heard so far this isn't reproducible by the committer; so,
is anyone else being able to reproduce this? I didn't experience this
either; so, maybe this is only reproducible on a stable system?

--
With kind regards,

Tom Wijsman (TomWij)
Gentoo Developer

E-mail address : TomWij@gentoo.org
GPG Public Key : 6D34E57D
GPG Fingerprint : C165 AF18 AB4C 400B C3D2 ABF0 95B2 1FCD 6D34 E57D
Re: Releng breakage with respect to move from dev-python/python-exec to dev-lang/python-exec [ In reply to ]
Re: Releng breakage with respect to move from dev-python/python-exec to dev-lang/python-exec [ In reply to ]
Dnia 2013-11-02, o godz. 14:51:26
Tom Wijsman <TomWij@gentoo.org> napisał(a):

> On Sat, 02 Nov 2013 09:16:45 -0400
> "Anthony G. Basile" <blueness@gentoo.org> wrote:
>
> > This is a followup to a discussion on IRC yesterday regarding
> > breakage that's occurring to catalyst builds as a result of the
> > recent move from dev-python/python-exec to dev-lang/python-exec.
>
> This has been happening to users as well, for example:
>
> http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-973998.html
> http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-974412.html
>
> To move forward and get this resolved, some questions:
>
> 1. Has this been resolved for users? Do they just need to sync?
> 2. If not resolved for users, what is the best temporary workaround?
> 3. Are you able to fix this? Do you need help to fix this?
> 4. Depending on the nature of the fix: Would a news item be needed?

From what I heard, most of people get this working through a plain:

emerge -Du @world

If someone is really reluctant to world updates, it is enough to
upgrade dev-python/python-exec to 10000.*:

emerge -1v dev-python/python-exec

I was considering writing a news item for it but we discussed it on IRC
and decided that users are really expected to be able to handle
themselves, especially wrt to:

1. using 'emerge -Du @world' to upgrade their systems,

2. reading the blocker output to see that it states
'<dev-python/python-exec-10000' -> which suggests: what if I upgrade to
10000?

If you believe that a news item would be helpful, I'm happy to write
it. Just please make sure that we're all in agreement over the method
of handling the issue.

Additionally, the news item would state how to get rid of the old deps.
This will presumably involve something like:

emerge -1v $( qdepends -NCQ dev-python/python-exec )

Please note that 'equery d' from gentoolkit is currently broken due to
some random magic inside portage and doesn't list all the packages
correctly.

However, for the latter it would be probably preferred to wait with it
till python-exec:2 is stable on all arches to avoid rebuilding packages
twice in a short time.

--
Best regards,
Michał Górny
Re: Releng breakage with respect to move from dev-python/python-exec to dev-lang/python-exec [ In reply to ]

On 11/02/2013 11:03 AM, Michał Górny wrote:
> Dnia 2013-11-02, o godz. 14:51:26
> Tom Wijsman <TomWij@gentoo.org> napisał(a):
>
>> On Sat, 02 Nov 2013 09:16:45 -0400
>> "Anthony G. Basile" <blueness@gentoo.org> wrote:
>>
>>> This is a followup to a discussion on IRC yesterday regarding
>>> breakage that's occurring to catalyst builds as a result of the
>>> recent move from dev-python/python-exec to dev-lang/python-exec.
>>
>> This has been happening to users as well, for example:
>>
>> http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-973998.html
>> http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-974412.html
>>
>> To move forward and get this resolved, some questions:
>>
>> 1. Has this been resolved for users? Do they just need to sync?
>> 2. If not resolved for users, what is the best temporary workaround?
>> 3. Are you able to fix this? Do you need help to fix this?
>> 4. Depending on the nature of the fix: Would a news item be needed?
>
> From what I heard, most of people get this working through a plain:
>
> emerge -Du @world
>
> If someone is really reluctant to world updates, it is enough to
> upgrade dev-python/python-exec to 10000.*:
>
> emerge -1v dev-python/python-exec
>
> I was considering writing a news item for it but we discussed it on IRC
> and decided that users are really expected to be able to handle
> themselves, especially wrt to:
>
> 1. using 'emerge -Du @world' to upgrade their systems,
>
> 2. reading the blocker output to see that it states
> '<dev-python/python-exec-10000' -> which suggests: what if I upgrade to
> 10000?
>
> If you believe that a news item would be helpful, I'm happy to write
> it. Just please make sure that we're all in agreement over the method
> of handling the issue.

A news item isn't enough for breaking autobuilds. If we can't find a
way to do this properly so portage knows how to upgrade then it is being
done WRONG.

Autobuilds break, gentoo can't be installed, the distro dies. I know,
sounds like I'm making something out of nothing but every time people
look at the stages and notice they are months out of date we find
another blog post announcing how gentoo is dead.

Honestly, if I knew a way to fix this I would have already made any
changes needed to fix it. Please fix this, because if you don't,
eventually I'll find a way and I doubt you will like it.

- -Zero

Re: Releng breakage with respect to move from dev-python/python-exec to dev-lang/python-exec [ In reply to ]

On Sat, 02 Nov 2013 15:20:41 -0400
"Rick \"Zero_Chaos\" Farina" <zerochaos@gentoo.org> wrote:

> On 11/02/2013 11:03 AM, Michał Górny wrote:
> > Dnia 2013-11-02, o godz. 14:51:26
> > Tom Wijsman <TomWij@gentoo.org> napisał(a):

> >> This has been happening to users as well, for example:
> >>
> >> http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-973998.html
> >> http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-974412.html
> >>
> >> To move forward and get this resolved, some questions:
> >>
> >> 1. Has this been resolved for users? Do they just need to sync?
> >> 2. If not resolved for users, what is the best temporary
> >> workaround? 3. Are you able to fix this? Do you need help to fix
> >> this? 4. Depending on the nature of the fix: Would a news item be
> >> needed?
> >
> > From what I heard, most of people get this working through a plain:
> >
> > emerge -Du @world
> >
> > If someone is really reluctant to world updates, it is enough to
> > upgrade dev-python/python-exec to 10000.*:
> >
> > emerge -1v dev-python/python-exec
> >
> > I was considering writing a news item for it but we discussed it on
> > IRC and decided that users are really expected to be able to handle
> > themselves, especially wrt to:
> >
> > 1. using 'emerge -Du @world' to upgrade their systems,
> >
> > 2. reading the blocker output to see that it states
> > '<dev-python/python-exec-10000' -> which suggests: what if I
> > upgrade to 10000?
> >
> > If you believe that a news item would be helpful, I'm happy to write
> > it. Just please make sure that we're all in agreement over the
> > method of handling the issue.
>
> A news item isn't enough for breaking autobuilds. If we can't find a
> way to do this properly so portage knows how to upgrade then it is
> being done WRONG.
>
> Autobuilds break, gentoo can't be installed, the distro dies. I know,
> sounds like I'm making something out of nothing but every time people
> look at the stages and notice they are months out of date we find
> another blog post announcing how gentoo is dead.
>
> Honestly, if I knew a way to fix this I would have already made any
> changes needed to fix it. Please fix this, because if you don't,
> eventually I'll find a way and I doubt you will like it.

I guess you can run a basic QA like that the image boots and gets the
network up with openQA (or using the same method) at least to detect
such breakage.

> - -Zero
> >
> > Additionally, the news item would state how to get rid of the old
> > deps. This will presumably involve something like:
> >
> > emerge -1v $( qdepends -NCQ dev-python/python-exec )
> >
> > Please note that 'equery d' from gentoolkit is currently broken due
> > to some random magic inside portage and doesn't list all the
> > packages correctly.
> >
> > However, for the latter it would be probably preferred to wait with
> > it till python-exec:2 is stable on all arches to avoid rebuilding
> > packages twice in a short time.

- --
Jan Matějka | Gentoo Developer
https://gentoo.org | Gentoo Linux
GPG: F97A36A1
Re: Releng breakage with respect to move from dev-python/python-exec to dev-lang/python-exec [ In reply to ]

On 11/02/2013 04:35 PM, yac wrote:
> On Sat, 02 Nov 2013 15:20:41 -0400
> "Rick \"Zero_Chaos\" Farina" <zerochaos@gentoo.org> wrote:

>> On 11/02/2013 11:03 AM, Michał Górny wrote:

>>> From what I heard, most of people get this working through a plain:
>>>
>>> emerge -Du @world
>>>
>>> If someone is really reluctant to world updates, it is enough to
>>> upgrade dev-python/python-exec to 10000.*:
>>>
>>> emerge -1v dev-python/python-exec
>>>
>>> I was considering writing a news item for it but we discussed it on
>>> IRC and decided that users are really expected to be able to handle
>>> themselves, especially wrt to:
>>>
>>> 1. using 'emerge -Du @world' to upgrade their systems,
>>>
>>> 2. reading the blocker output to see that it states
>>> '<dev-python/python-exec-10000' -> which suggests: what if I
>>> upgrade to 10000?
>>>
>>> If you believe that a news item would be helpful, I'm happy to write
>>> it. Just please make sure that we're all in agreement over the
>>> method of handling the issue.
>
>> A news item isn't enough for breaking autobuilds. If we can't find a
>> way to do this properly so portage knows how to upgrade then it is
>> being done WRONG.
>
>> Autobuilds break, gentoo can't be installed, the distro dies. I know,
>> sounds like I'm making something out of nothing but every time people
>> look at the stages and notice they are months out of date we find
>> another blog post announcing how gentoo is dead.
>
>> Honestly, if I knew a way to fix this I would have already made any
>> changes needed to fix it. Please fix this, because if you don't,
>> eventually I'll find a way and I doubt you will like it.
>
> I guess you can run a basic QA like that the image boots and gets the
> network up with openQA (or using the same method) at least to detect
> such breakage.

I think everyone involved knows that manual intervention is needed to
resolve this dep. I'm sure that things were tested before they were
commited, which leads me to believe that the commiter didn't care that
manual intervention is required. Sadly, we at releng do. I am actively
seeking a resolution for this, let's see who commits it first.

- -Zero

Re: Releng breakage with respect to move from dev-python/python-exec to dev-lang/python-exec [ In reply to ]
On Sat, Nov 2, 2013 at 4:57 PM, Rick "Zero_Chaos" Farina
<zerochaos@gentoo.org> wrote:

> On 11/02/2013 04:35 PM, yac wrote:
>> On Sat, 02 Nov 2013 15:20:41 -0400

>>> A news item isn't enough for breaking autobuilds. If we can't find a
>>> way to do this properly so portage knows how to upgrade then it is
>>> being done WRONG.
>>
>>> Autobuilds break, gentoo can't be installed, the distro dies. I know,
>>> sounds like I'm making something out of nothing but every time people
>>> look at the stages and notice they are months out of date we find
>>> another blog post announcing how gentoo is dead.
>>
>>> Honestly, if I knew a way to fix this I would have already made any
>>> changes needed to fix it. Please fix this, because if you don't,
>>> eventually I'll find a way and I doubt you will like it.
>>
>> I guess you can run a basic QA like that the image boots and gets the
>> network up with openQA (or using the same method) at least to detect
>> such breakage.
>>
> I think everyone involved knows that manual intervention is needed to
> resolve this dep. I'm sure that things were tested before they were
> commited, which leads me to believe that the commiter didn't care that
> manual intervention is required. Sadly, we at releng do. I am actively
> seeking a resolution for this, let's see who commits it first.

In most cases, manual intervention is not required, and portage does
the right thing when you run emerge -uD world. If you actually look at
the deps in the tree, it really SHOULD work, and the fact that it can
be resolved manually indicates that we are running into some portage
weirdness.

After it was committed, we starting getting a few reports of cases
where it does not work without some manual intervention (including
releng). I do not believe we have discovered any useful pattern, other
than that is seems to happen more frequently with people who do not
run full world updates.
Re: Releng breakage with respect to move from dev-python/python-exec to dev-lang/python-exec [ In reply to ]

On Sat, 02 Nov 2013 16:57:07 -0400
"Rick \"Zero_Chaos\" Farina" <zerochaos@gentoo.org> wrote:

> On 11/02/2013 04:35 PM, yac wrote:
> > On Sat, 02 Nov 2013 15:20:41 -0400

> >> A news item isn't enough for breaking autobuilds. If we can't
> >> find a way to do this properly so portage knows how to upgrade
> >> then it is being done WRONG.
> >
> >> Autobuilds break, gentoo can't be installed, the distro dies. I
> >> know, sounds like I'm making something out of nothing but every
> >> time people look at the stages and notice they are months out of
> >> date we find another blog post announcing how gentoo is dead.
> >
> >> Honestly, if I knew a way to fix this I would have already made any
> >> changes needed to fix it. Please fix this, because if you don't,
> >> eventually I'll find a way and I doubt you will like it.
> >
> > I guess you can run a basic QA like that the image boots and gets
> > the network up with openQA (or using the same method) at least to
> > detect such breakage.
> >
> I think everyone involved knows that manual intervention is needed to
> resolve this dep. I'm sure that things were tested before they were
> commited, which leads me to believe that the commiter didn't care that
> manual intervention is required. Sadly, we at releng do. I am
> actively seeking a resolution for this, let's see who commits it
> first.

I don't know how this releng stuff works. I bet there is lot of devs
who don't.

Also I think your response is also completely unrelated to my
suggestion. My suggestion is about acting proactively
instead of reactively - automatically testing eg. the image of livecd
iso that gets built to verify eg. it is bootable and network working to
at least detect such breakage and do not publish broken iso instead of
hoping for the best and eventualy getting bug reports.

Re: Releng breakage with respect to move from dev-python/python-exec to dev-lang/python-exec [ In reply to ]
On 11/02/2013 06:09 PM, yac wrote:
> I don't know how this releng stuff works. I bet there is lot of devs
> who don't.

This is why you should announce risking commits. Because you may not
know what it will cause, but others will.

Re: Releng breakage with respect to move from dev-python/python-exec to dev-lang/python-exec [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 02 Nov 2013 19:19:21 -0400
"Anthony G. Basile" <blueness@gentoo.org> wrote:

> On 11/02/2013 06:09 PM, yac wrote:
> > I don't know how this releng stuff works. I bet there is lot of devs
> > who don't.
>
> This is why you should announce risking commits. Because you may not
> know what it will cause, but others will.

If I don't know in the first place, how do I know it's risky?

Afaik there is no official way to update gentoo, is there?

I personally got used to -uaNDv and I don't even know what exactly is
the difference and it's implications between that and just -uD

Re: Releng breakage with respect to move from dev-python/python-exec to dev-lang/python-exec [ In reply to ]
On 11/02/2013 07:45 PM, yac wrote:
> On Sat, 02 Nov 2013 19:19:21 -0400
> "Anthony G. Basile" <blueness@gentoo.org> wrote:
>
>> On 11/02/2013 06:09 PM, yac wrote:
>>> I don't know how this releng stuff works. I bet there is lot of devs
>>> who don't.
>> This is why you should announce risking commits. Because you may not
>> know what it will cause, but others will.
>>
> If I don't know in the first place, how do I know it's risky?
>
> Afaik there is no official way to update gentoo, is there?
>
> I personally got used to -uaNDv and I don't even know what exactly is
> the difference and it's implications between that and just -uD

Adding something to the tree with all keywords set stable is risky. Take
a look at the original commit. I understand why mgorny did it, but it
should have been discussed.

Re: Releng breakage with respect to move from dev-python/python-exec to dev-lang/python-exec [ In reply to ]
Re: Releng breakage with respect to move from dev-python/python-exec to dev-lang/python-exec [ In reply to ]

On 11/02/2013 06:09 PM, yac wrote:
> On Sat, 02 Nov 2013 16:57:07 -0400
> "Rick \"Zero_Chaos\" Farina" <zerochaos@gentoo.org> wrote:

>> On 11/02/2013 04:35 PM, yac wrote:

>>> I guess you can run a basic QA like that the image boots and gets
>>> the network up with openQA (or using the same method) at least to
>>> detect such breakage.
>>>
>> I think everyone involved knows that manual intervention is needed to
>> resolve this dep. I'm sure that things were tested before they were
>> commited, which leads me to believe that the commiter didn't care that
>> manual intervention is required. Sadly, we at releng do. I am
>> actively seeking a resolution for this, let's see who commits it
>> first.
>
> I don't know how this releng stuff works. I bet there is lot of devs
> who don't.
>
> Also I think your response is also completely unrelated to my
> suggestion. My suggestion is about acting proactively
> instead of reactively - automatically testing eg. the image of livecd
> iso that gets built to verify eg. it is bootable and network working to
> at least detect such breakage and do not publish broken iso instead of
> hoping for the best and eventualy getting bug reports.

The isos are built at least daily by one or more members of releng.
Build tests are automatic, sadly functionality test after the fact are
not. If you are volunteering to help get some tests up and running then
I'll be happy to dedicate my time to assisting. I build 4000 packages a
day across 4 profiles and 2 arches and I'm adding more all the time. I
would love to have some functionality tests but I lack the skill to
implement from scratch.

- -Zero

Re: Releng breakage with respect to move from dev-python/python-exec to dev-lang/python-exec [ In reply to ]
Re: Releng breakage with respect to move from dev-python/python-exec to dev-lang/python-exec [ In reply to ]
On 03/11/2013 01:45, yac wrote:
> On Sat, 02 Nov 2013 19:19:21 -0400
> "Anthony G. Basile" <blueness@gentoo.org> wrote:
>
>> On 11/02/2013 06:09 PM, yac wrote:
>>> I don't know how this releng stuff works. I bet there is lot of devs
>>> who don't.
>>
>> This is why you should announce risking commits. Because you may not
>> know what it will cause, but others will.
>>

> If I don't know in the first place, how do I know it's risky?

Assessing risk is somewhat intuitive and relies heavily on experience.

python-exec changes python wrapper scripts, emerge is coded in python.
You have the makings of a circular dep right there and alarms bells
should already be going off in your head.

With risk, you almost always already DO have more information than at
first appears. Learn to trust the little voice in your head, when it
pipes up rather be careful and double check.

> Afaik there is no official way to update gentoo, is there?

It's always been "emerge -avuND world"

> I personally got used to -uaNDv and I don't even know what exactly is
> the difference and it's implications between that and just -uD

the difference is -N, it's in man emerge

--
Alan McKinnon
alan.mckinnon@gmail.com
Re: Releng breakage with respect to move from dev-python/python-exec to dev-lang/python-exec [ In reply to ]
On 3 November 2013 17:02, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 03/11/2013 01:45, yac wrote:
>>
>> Afaik there is no official way to update gentoo, is there?
>
> It's always been "emerge -avuND world"
>

>> I personally got used to -uaNDv and I don't even know what exactly is
>> the difference and it's implications between that and just -uD
>
> the difference is -N, it's in man emerge

We really should change this recommendation to --changed-use instead of -N.
But we also need a short option for that.

Ben | yngwin
Gentoo developer
Re: Releng breakage with respect to move from dev-python/python-exec to dev-lang/python-exec [ In reply to ]
On 02/11/2013 17:03, Michał Górny wrote:
> I was considering writing a news item for it but we discussed it on IRC
> and decided that users are really expected to be able to handle
> themselves, especially wrt to:
>
> 1. using 'emerge -Du @world' to upgrade their systems,
>
> 2. reading the blocker output to see that it states
> '<dev-python/python-exec-10000' -> which suggests: what if I upgrade to
> 10000?

Sadly, it's somewhat common for (newish) users to not know what to do
with that. Blocker output can be quite daunting in the beginning,
especially if it's in the middle of 20 other things portage is also
updating.

It's not easy to parse this stuff; I've been using gentoo for what feels
like forever and I still haven't managed to hard-wire my head to read
blockers like an idiom. I have to study it and usually end up reading
the affected ebuild directly.

The basic problem is that there's a lot of information to convey re a
blocker, but to new users it all just looks like noise.

One set of questions that were never answered and probably do deserve
some kind of notification:

1. What exactly is python-exec anyway?
2. Why are there two, in dev-python/ and dev-lang/ ?
3. One has a version of -10000, which is *highly* unusual, what is that
exactly? 1 more than -9999?
4. There is some kind of migration going on between an old and new
python-exec, but I can't understand it using only standard portage tools.

An advance notice was probably warranted in this case, not to avoid
bugs, but just to alert folk that something is coming down the wire and
a short description of what it's trying to achieve. Most folks are
naturally suspicious of anything that alters their python setup.

--
Alan McKinnon
alan.mckinnon@gmail.com
Re: Releng breakage with respect to move from dev-python/python-exec to dev-lang/python-exec [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 03 Nov 2013 11:02:31 +0200
Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 03/11/2013 01:45, yac wrote:
> > On Sat, 02 Nov 2013 19:19:21 -0400

> >> This is why you should announce risking commits. Because you may
> >> not know what it will cause, but others will.
> >>

> > If I don't know in the first place, how do I know it's risky?
>

> Assessing risk is somewhat intuitive and relies heavily on experience.
>
> python-exec changes python wrapper scripts, emerge is coded in python.
> You have the makings of a circular dep right there and alarms bells
> should already be going off in your head.
>
> With risk, you almost always already DO have more information than at
> first appears. Learn to trust the little voice in your head, when it
> pipes up rather be careful and double check.
>

> > Afaik there is no official way to update gentoo, is there?
>
> It's always been "emerge -avuND world"
>

> > I personally got used to -uaNDv and I don't even know what exactly
> > is the difference and it's implications between that and just -uD
>
> the difference is -N, it's in man emerge

I can read man pages, I know what -N stands for, but I can't say I
understand it with it's implications, as the exact behaviour depends
on the state of tree at last emerge update and the state the portage
tree is currently, which again depends on policies applied to the
packages involved in the system and that's pretty non-trivial thing.

--
Jan Matějka | Gentoo Developer
https://gentoo.org | Gentoo Linux
GPG: A33E F5BC A9F6 DAFD 2021 6FB6 3EBF D45B EEB6 CA8B
Re: Releng breakage with respect to move from dev-python/python-exec to dev-lang/python-exec [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 03 Nov 2013 10:53:13 +0200
Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 02/11/2013 17:03, Michał Górny wrote:
> > I was considering writing a news item for it but we discussed it on
> > IRC and decided that users are really expected to be able to handle
> > themselves, especially wrt to:
> >
> > 1. using 'emerge -Du @world' to upgrade their systems,

I got a blocker on one system even with -uaNDv world

btw, is there a difference betwen world and @world or is just new
syntax?

> > 2. reading the blocker output to see that it states
> > '<dev-python/python-exec-10000' -> which suggests: what if I
> > upgrade to 10000?
>

> Sadly, it's somewhat common for (newish) users to not know what to do
> with that. Blocker output can be quite daunting in the beginning,
> especially if it's in the middle of 20 other things portage is also
> updating.
>
> It's not easy to parse this stuff; I've been using gentoo for what
> feels like forever and I still haven't managed to hard-wire my head
> to read blockers like an idiom. I have to study it and usually end up
> reading the affected ebuild directly.

+1 I always have to think hard to get which blocks which and which I
want. Especialy in this case with -10000 and -9999

> The basic problem is that there's a lot of information to convey re a
> blocker, but to new users it all just looks like noise.
>
> One set of questions that were never answered and probably do deserve
> some kind of notification:
>
> 1. What exactly is python-exec anyway?

python-exec is the thingie that makes the python thingies install libs
and executables with different names/paths as per python major.minor so
they are available for all the required versions.

> 2. Why are there two, in dev-python/ and dev-lang/ ?
> 3. One has a version of -10000, which is *highly* unusual, what is
> that exactly? 1 more than -9999?
> 4. There is some kind of migration going on between an old and new
> python-exec, but I can't understand it using only standard portage
> tools.

+1 I agree this change was poorly communicated to the users.

Re: Releng breakage with respect to move from dev-python/python-exec to dev-lang/python-exec [ In reply to ]
Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@gmail.com> writes:

> One set of questions that were never answered and probably do deserve
> some kind of notification:
>
> 1. What exactly is python-exec anyway?
> 2. Why are there two, in dev-python/ and dev-lang/ ?
> 3. One has a version of -10000, which is *highly* unusual, what is that
> exactly? 1 more than -9999?
> 4. There is some kind of migration going on between an old and new
> python-exec, but I can't understand it using only standard portage tools.

I can resonate with these questions.

I bet it's common for people outside the python herd.
Re: Releng breakage with respect to move from dev-python/python-exec to dev-lang/python-exec [ In reply to ]
Dnia 2013-11-03, o godz. 10:53:13
Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@gmail.com> napisał(a):

> One set of questions that were never answered and probably do deserve
> some kind of notification:

I can help you with these. However, I don't know on how much of it
a random user cares.

> 1. What exactly is python-exec anyway?

It's the wrapper script that chooses the proper version of Python
scripts for the currently selected Python version. Say, when you
install 'foomatic' for p2.6, 2.7, 3.2 and 3.3, /usr/bin/foomatic is
linked to python-exec and it determines which one to run.

> 2. Why are there two, in dev-python/ and dev-lang/ ?

The intent is that the one in dev-python/ was not slotted and the one
in dev-lang/ is. This seems like the only sane way to support both
slots without rewriting all the existing deps (which doesn't seem to
work) or risking breaking the system.

> 3. One has a version of -10000, which is *highly* unusual, what is that
> exactly? 1 more than -9999?

It is a plain virtual/compat/meta-package. It is a meaningless version
that is supposed to be larger than anything that was earlier in
dev-python/python-exec and it only pulls in dev-lang/python-exec.

> 4. There is some kind of migration going on between an old and new
> python-exec, but I can't understand it using only standard portage tools.

Yes. The goal is that everything will dep on dev-lang/python-exec:=.
However, we need to somehow keep things that deped on
dev-python/python-exec in the past working.

--
Best regards,
Michał Górny
Re: Releng breakage with respect to move from dev-python/python-exec to dev-lang/python-exec [ In reply to ]
On 03/11/2013 12:53, Michał Górny wrote:
> Dnia 2013-11-03, o godz. 10:53:13
> Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@gmail.com> napisał(a):
>
>> One set of questions that were never answered and probably do deserve
>> some kind of notification:
>
> I can help you with these. However, I don't know on how much of it
> a random user cares.
>
>> 1. What exactly is python-exec anyway?
>
> It's the wrapper script that chooses the proper version of Python
> scripts for the currently selected Python version. Say, when you
> install 'foomatic' for p2.6, 2.7, 3.2 and 3.3, /usr/bin/foomatic is
> linked to python-exec and it determines which one to run.
>
>> 2. Why are there two, in dev-python/ and dev-lang/ ?
>
> The intent is that the one in dev-python/ was not slotted and the one
> in dev-lang/ is. This seems like the only sane way to support both
> slots without rewriting all the existing deps (which doesn't seem to
> work) or risking breaking the system.
>
>> 3. One has a version of -10000, which is *highly* unusual, what is that
>> exactly? 1 more than -9999?
>
> It is a plain virtual/compat/meta-package. It is a meaningless version
> that is supposed to be larger than anything that was earlier in
> dev-python/python-exec and it only pulls in dev-lang/python-exec.
>
>> 4. There is some kind of migration going on between an old and new
>> python-exec, but I can't understand it using only standard portage tools.
>
> Yes. The goal is that everything will dep on dev-lang/python-exec:=.
> However, we need to somehow keep things that deped on
> dev-python/python-exec in the past working.

I didn't make completely clear that the questions were mostly rhetorical
- I since figured out the answers for myself (I'm used to cat'ing
ebuilds almost routinely to find stuff out). But thanks for taking the
time to answer, I'll probably repost to gentoo-user and that will no
doubt help many more people.

It makes a good example - we both made what I believe is the same
mistake. I underestimated that you would understand what I was actually
asking, and the python team underestimated how much information to
convey ahead of time.

I do appreciate hugely all the effort Gentoo devs put into the project
so this isn't a criticism at all, it's more data points of experience
put out there to help devs make judgement calls for the future.

--
Alan McKinnon
alan.mckinnon@gmail.com
Re: Releng breakage with respect to move from dev-python/python-exec to dev-lang/python-exec [ In reply to ]
yac posted on Sun, 03 Nov 2013 11:11:00 +0100 as excerpted:

> btw, is there a difference betwen world and @world or is just new
> syntax?

Too short answer: New syntax.

Middling answer: @world is now preferred, (bare) world support being
retained for backward compatibility, both with people's "typing memory"
and with the multitude of helper scripts most long-time gentooers have
likely devised.

Much longer and more detailed answer: With portage set support @world and
@system (with the related @selected, @world being the combined @system
and @selected, as well) are simply two of many available sets, all of
which are prefixed with @ to denote the set status. They're the two most
commonly used sets, with legacy aliases without the @ prefix, sure, but
they are sets just like other available sets, and the @ prefix makes that
clear and keeps set notation obvious. The prefixless variants are
special-case backward compatibility notation for these sets only, and use
is discouraged[1] as it's inconsistent with the rules for other sets, but
it remains available, /purely/ for backward compatibility.

Presumably at some point in the far future those backward compatibility
aliases could be removed, but I don't think anyone's considering that for
anything remotely close to current portage -- at this point it's
"bluesky", something that "might be nice, someday", but nothing that
they'll do any time soon, as it's too soon to break that backward
compatibility.

Note[1]: The emerge manpage does not even mention the prefixless
variants, saying: "When used as arguments to emerge sets have to be
prefixed with @ to be recognized."

Unfortunately the handbook apparently hasn't been updated to cover sets
or the @world form at all, so the handbook (part 2, Working with Gentoo,
chapter 1, A Portage Introduction, doc_chapter 3, Maintaining Software)
still uses the bare world form, and there appears to be no discussion of
sets (presumably as a new "Portage Sets" chapter in part 3, Working with
Portage) at all. =:^(

Re: Releng breakage with respect to move from dev-python/python-exec to dev-lang/python-exec [ In reply to ]
On 11/03/2013 04:02 AM, Alan McKinnon wrote:
> On 03/11/2013 01:45, yac wrote:
>> On Sat, 02 Nov 2013 19:19:21 -0400

>>> This is why you should announce risking commits. Because you may not
>>> know what it will cause, but others will.
>>>
>> If I don't know in the first place, how do I know it's risky?
>
> Assessing risk is somewhat intuitive and relies heavily on experience.
>
> python-exec changes python wrapper scripts, emerge is coded in python.
> You have the makings of a circular dep right there and alarms bells
> should already be going off in your head.

Correct. One needs to be particularly careful with python + portage.
"Careful" here means taking the "alarm bells" seriously and should
include uncommon but critical environments like catalyst.

> With risk, you almost always already DO have more information than at
> first appears. Learn to trust the little voice in your head, when it
> pipes up rather be careful and double check.
>
>> Afaik there is no official way to update gentoo, is there?
> It's always been "emerge -avuND world"

Keep in mind that catalyst runs do something along the lines of:

ROOT=/tmp/stage1root emerge -e @system

which is why (I think) we are hitting issue there and not in a regular
setup. I didn't diagnose to the bottom though.

Getting back to my original post: I want to make the python team aware
of the needs of releng and exercise care in the future when making a
commit where "alarm bells" go off. An email to releng@ or gentoo-dev@
asking "will this mess up your stuff" would have been sufficient as we
then could have tested. I don't know if any deeper lesson can be
learned. I don't expect anyone to have super cow powers and forsee
every eventuality. Don't be afraid to use the community.

>> I personally got used to -uaNDv and I don't even know what exactly is
>> the difference and it's implications between that and just -uD
> the difference is -N, it's in man emerge

--
Anthony G. Basile, Ph.D.
Gentoo Linux Developer [Hardened]
E-Mail : blueness@gentoo.org
GnuPG FP : 1FED FAD9 D82C 52A5 3BAB DC79 9384 FA6E F52D 4BBA
GnuPG ID : F52D4BBA

1 2  View All