default.

Diego Elio Pettenò — Flameeyes
flameeyes@flameeyes.eu — http://blog.flameeyes.eu/
Re: inittab with SIGPWR support [ In reply to ]

DEP> To have a better support for Gentoo lxc guests, it would be nice if our
DEP> default inittab contained a line for handling SIGPWR sent to PID 1 to
DEP> shut the system down.

I'm embarrased to have to say that I hadn't noticed that gentoo lacked power
lines in its inittab(5).

Please cover the set, not just powerfail.

-JimC
--
James Cloos <cloos@jhcloos.com> OpenPGP: 1024D/ED7DAEA6
Re: inittab with SIGPWR support [ In reply to ]
Il 10/07/2012 18:44, James Cloos ha scritto:
> I'm embarrased to have to say that I hadn't noticed that gentoo lacked power
> lines in its inittab(5).

They _are_ deprecated after all.

Re: inittab with SIGPWR support [ In reply to ]

DEP> They _are_ deprecated after all.

Where is that documented?

-JimC
--
James Cloos <cloos@jhcloos.com> OpenPGP: 1024D/ED7DAEA6
Re: inittab with SIGPWR support [ In reply to ]
> DEP> They _are_ deprecated after all.
>
> Where is that documented?

man inittab
Re: inittab with SIGPWR support [ In reply to ]
Hi!

On Thu, 12 Jul 2012, Diego Elio Pettenò wrote:
> > DEP> They _are_ deprecated after all.
> >
> > Where is that documented?
>
> man inittab

You seem to have a different version than I do:

$ equery f sysvinit|xargs grep -i deprecated 2>/dev/null
$ equery f sysvinit|xargs bzgrep -i deprecated 2>/dev/null
/usr/share/man/man8/shutdown.8.bz2:[DEPRECATED] Don't call
\fBinit\fP(8) to do the shutdown but do it ourself.
$ eix -Ice sysvinit
[I] sys-apps/sysvinit (2.88-r3@08/31/2011): /sbin/init - parent
of all processes

Can you c&p the paragraph in question?

Thanks,
Tobias
Re: inittab with SIGPWR support [ In reply to ]
Il 13/07/2012 13:48, Tobias Klausmann ha scritto:
> You seem to have a different version than I do:

Sorry wrong man, it was man init:

Usage of SIGPWR and /etc/powerstatus is discouraged. Someone
wanting to interact with init should use the /dev/initctl control
channel - see the source code of the
sysvinit package for more documentation about this.

Re: inittab with SIGPWR support [ In reply to ]

DEP> They _are_ deprecated after all.
>>
>> Where is that documented?

DEP> man inittab

Not here. (/usr/share/man/man5/inittab.5.bz2 from sys-apps/sysvinit-2.88-r3.)

-JimC
--
James Cloos <cloos@jhcloos.com> OpenPGP: 1024D/ED7DAEA6