Mailing List Archive

qemu/qemu-user changes
I'm about to reorder yet again qemu.

Before the idea was to provide just a single ebuild, qemu, covering it all.

The problem is that on a side we have the softmmu, full
emulator/paravirt that uses lots of libraries and has qemu-kvm sporting
some speedups over it from time to time; on the other we have qemu-user,
that doesn't have dipendencies and usually needs to be built statically.

qemu-user is nowadays widely used to have non-native chroot to speed up
building by overcoming non-cross-friendly build systems (hi
perl&python). With the patchset Fabio managed to put together we don't
even need to mess with hybrid systems due some key component for
building a recent desktop (e.g. cmake for kde) uncover bugs in the
machinery the hard way.

I'd add a new ebuild for qemu-user that is always static, with a
initscript to ease having the binfmt set up, it will be close
resembiling the ebuild qemu-user-static from sabayon and not colliding
with qemu.

Is anybody against to this approach?

lu

--

Luca Barbato
Gentoo/linux
Re: qemu/qemu-user changes [ In reply to ]
Am 28.02.2012 11:51, schrieb Luca Barbato:
> I'd add a new ebuild for qemu-user that is always static, with a
> initscript to ease having the binfmt set up, it will be close
> resembiling the ebuild qemu-user-static from sabayon and not colliding
> with qemu.

could you please add target useflags (like the other qemu ebuilds offer)
as most users aren't interested in more than one or two target platforms
(e.g. I only need arm) and afaik building them all takes a lot of time...

/martin
Re: qemu/qemu-user changes [ In reply to ]
On 28/02/12 13:03, Martin Gysel wrote:
> Am 28.02.2012 11:51, schrieb Luca Barbato:
>> I'd add a new ebuild for qemu-user that is always static, with a
>> initscript to ease having the binfmt set up, it will be close
>> resembiling the ebuild qemu-user-static from sabayon and not colliding
>> with qemu.
>
> could you please add target useflags (like the other qemu ebuilds offer)
> as most users aren't interested in more than one or two target platforms
> (e.g. I only need arm) and afaik building them all takes a lot of time...

Done, now I need to test it a little and make sure the initscript works
as supposed.

lu

--

Luca Barbato
Gentoo/linux
Re: qemu/qemu-user changes [ In reply to ]
> >> I'd add a new ebuild for qemu-user that is always static, with a
> >> initscript to ease having the binfmt set up, it will be close
> >> resembiling the ebuild qemu-user-static from sabayon and not colliding
> >> with qemu.
> >
> > could you please add target useflags (like the other qemu ebuilds offer)
> > as most users aren't interested in more than one or two target platforms
> > (e.g. I only need arm) and afaik building them all takes a lot of time...
>
> Done, now I need to test it a little and make sure the initscript works
> as supposed.

As for compilation times it can be greatly reduced [1]
just by dropping -g by default (sits in -9999 ebuild):

sed -e 's/CFLAGS="-g $CFLAGS"/CFLAGS="$CFLAGS"/g' \
-i configure || die

BTW, there is qemu-1.0.1 out.

[1]: http://bugs.gentoo.org/355861 (qemu OOMs on gcc-4.5)

--