Mailing List Archive

Alsa device list
Hi, I've been seeing the following message during bootup for a long
time now, I've searched around, have so far found nothing.

During the kernel booting up, not openrc, I get:

Alsa device list
No soundcards found

Which is strange and wrong.
I'm using the in-kernel drivers, alsa is working without problems.
Its just an irritating message...

Any ideas?

Tom
Re: Alsa device list [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Apr 17, 2009 at 9:55 AM, Tom <uebershark@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi, I've been seeing the following message during bootup for a long
> time now, I've searched around, have so far found nothing.
>
> During the kernel booting up, not openrc, I get:
>
> Alsa device list
>        No soundcards found
>
> Which is strange and wrong.
> I'm using the in-kernel drivers, alsa is working without problems.
> Its just an irritating message...
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Tom

Not enough info really.

1) Are there sound cards in the system? (lspci)

2) When you say you are using the in-kernel drivers, have you built
them as modules (good) or built them into the kernel. (possibly not
good)

3) If they are modules, are they loaded? (lsmod)

4) What does the kernel tell you? (cat /proc/asound/cards)

6) What happens with /etc/init.d/alsasound restart?

Post back that much and we'll see if we can make some headway...

- Mark
Re: Alsa device list [ In reply to ]
> Not enough info really.
>
> 1) Are there sound cards in the system? (lspci)
>
> 2) When you say you are using the in-kernel drivers, have you built
> them as modules (good) or built them into the kernel. (possibly not
> good)
>
> 3) If they are modules, are they loaded? (lsmod)
>
> 4) What does the kernel tell you? (cat /proc/asound/cards)
>
> 6) What happens with /etc/init.d/alsasound restart?
>
> Post back that much and we'll see if we can make some headway...
>
> - Mark

Yes, there is a sound card in the system. An sblive.
Its working perfectly, as I pointed out.

I'm just complaining about this irritating message during boot.

Alsa itself is built into the kernel, all components, including the
actual sblive driver are modules.

These get loaded during bootup, when openrc fires /etc/init.d/alsasond.

Again, the sound card works, no problems, its just about the 'wrong'
message during kernel bootup.

Tom
Re: Alsa device list [ In reply to ]
alsa is the kind of stuff you'd like do compile as modules :)

2009/4/18 Tom <uebershark@googlemail.com>

> > Not enough info really.
> >
> > 1) Are there sound cards in the system? (lspci)
> >
> > 2) When you say you are using the in-kernel drivers, have you built
> > them as modules (good) or built them into the kernel. (possibly not
> > good)
> >
> > 3) If they are modules, are they loaded? (lsmod)
> >
> > 4) What does the kernel tell you? (cat /proc/asound/cards)
> >
> > 6) What happens with /etc/init.d/alsasound restart?
> >
> > Post back that much and we'll see if we can make some headway...
> >
> > - Mark
>
> Yes, there is a sound card in the system. An sblive.
> Its working perfectly, as I pointed out.
>
> I'm just complaining about this irritating message during boot.
>
> Alsa itself is built into the kernel, all components, including the
> actual sblive driver are modules.
>
> These get loaded during bootup, when openrc fires /etc/init.d/alsasond.
>
> Again, the sound card works, no problems, its just about the 'wrong'
> message during kernel bootup.
>
> Tom
>
>