Mailing List Archive

External HD to work with Gentoo and Vista.
I thought I had cracked my problem of writing to a usb external ntfs HD, but I
was wrong. Let me pose the problem and hopefully somebody out there will be
able to set me straight.
I have mp3 files on an internal HD in my gentoo box. I back this up to an
external usb HD formated for ext2 - no problems.
I have now bought another external HD which I want to copy my mp3's to and be
able to play them when the external HD is plugged into a vista machine.
So the HD is formated with ntfs and works with vista but when I plug it into
gentoo and mount either automatically or manually I can not write to the
disk. I just get an error message as a user -- "Unable to enter
file:///mnt/external. You do not have access rights to this location."
As root the permissions seem to be correct user=root,Group=root,Owner Can View
& Modify Content but if I try as user to create a folder I get "Could not
make folder /mnt/external/New Folder." message.

So the question is:- How do I get an external usb disk to be writable on
gentoo and vista?

Thanks for any help
Paul
--
This message has been sent using kmail with gentoo linux
Re: External HD to work with Gentoo and Vista. [ In reply to ]
emerge ntfs3g

should solve your woes

On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 4:53 AM, Paul Stear <gentoo@appjaws.plus.com> wrote:

> I thought I had cracked my problem of writing to a usb external ntfs HD,
> but I
> was wrong. Let me pose the problem and hopefully somebody out there will
> be
> able to set me straight.
> I have mp3 files on an internal HD in my gentoo box. I back this up to an
> external usb HD formated for ext2 - no problems.
> I have now bought another external HD which I want to copy my mp3's to and
> be
> able to play them when the external HD is plugged into a vista machine.
> So the HD is formated with ntfs and works with vista but when I plug it
> into
> gentoo and mount either automatically or manually I can not write to the
> disk. I just get an error message as a user -- "Unable to enter
> file:///mnt/external. You do not have access rights to this location."
> As root the permissions seem to be correct user=root,Group=root,Owner Can
> View
> & Modify Content but if I try as user to create a folder I get "Could not
> make folder /mnt/external/New Folder." message.
>
> So the question is:- How do I get an external usb disk to be writable on
> gentoo and vista?
>
> Thanks for any help
> Paul
> --
> This message has been sent using kmail with gentoo linux
>
>
Re: External HD to work with Gentoo and Vista. [ In reply to ]
and in /etc/fstab:

/dev/sdc1 /media/disk4 ntfs-3g defaults 0 2

replace sdc1 with whatever your drive shows up as in dmesg when you plug it
in also be sure to set the /media/ entry and mkdir diskX or however you
want to mount it as.
Re: External HD to work with Gentoo and Vista. [ In reply to ]
oh and here's a link for ya too:

http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/NTFS-3G
Re: External HD to work with Gentoo and Vista. [ In reply to ]
On Monday 16 March 2009 10:08:03 Chris Faulkner wrote:
> oh and here's a link for ya too:
>
> http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/NTFS-3G

Thanks to Chris and Duncan for your help. I now have it working and am
currently copying all my mp3 files. I had to manually mount the external HD
which is straight forward but it would be wonderful if kde/hal/dbus would
take care of it for me. I have tried various things but always get the error
message that I don't have the correct permissions. Is it possible do you
think?

Paul

--
This message has been sent using kmail with gentoo linux
Re: External HD to work with Gentoo and Vista. [ In reply to ]
when i plug my external in, it automatically mounts for me.. I just used
the ntfs-3g wiki and i think there's another one..

On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 9:09 AM, Paul Stear <gentoo@appjaws.plus.com> wrote:

> On Monday 16 March 2009 10:08:03 Chris Faulkner wrote:
> > oh and here's a link for ya too:
> >
> > http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/NTFS-3G
>
> Thanks to Chris and Duncan for your help. I now have it working and am
> currently copying all my mp3 files. I had to manually mount the external
> HD
> which is straight forward but it would be wonderful if kde/hal/dbus would
> take care of it for me. I have tried various things but always get the
> error
> message that I don't have the correct permissions. Is it possible do you
> think?
>
> Paul
>
> --
> This message has been sent using kmail with gentoo linux
>
>
Re: External HD to work with Gentoo and Vista. [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 2009-03-16 at 09:17 -0500, Chris Faulkner wrote:
> when i plug my external in, it automatically mounts for me.. I just
> used the ntfs-3g wiki and i think there's another one..
>
> On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 9:09 AM, Paul Stear <gentoo@appjaws.plus.com>
> wrote:
> On Monday 16 March 2009 10:08:03 Chris Faulkner wrote:
> > oh and here's a link for ya too:
> >
> > http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/NTFS-3G
>
>
> Thanks to Chris and Duncan for your help. I now have it
> working and am
> currently copying all my mp3 files. I had to manually mount
> the external HD
> which is straight forward but it would be wonderful if
> kde/hal/dbus would
> take care of it for me. I have tried various things but
> always get the error
> message that I don't have the correct permissions. Is it
> possible do you
> think?
>
>
> Paul
>
> --
> This message has been sent using kmail with gentoo linux
>
>
>
is your user in plugd?
Re: External HD to work with Gentoo and Vista. [ In reply to ]
Paul Stear wrote:
> On Monday 16 March 2009 10:08:03 Chris Faulkner wrote:
>> oh and here's a link for ya too:
>>
>> http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/NTFS-3G
>
> Thanks to Chris and Duncan for your help. I now have it working and am
> currently copying all my mp3 files. I had to manually mount the external HD
> which is straight forward but it would be wonderful if kde/hal/dbus would
> take care of it for me. I have tried various things but always get the error
> message that I don't have the correct permissions. Is it possible do you
> think?

Make sure you're in the "usb" and "plugdev" groups. Add yourself to
them, logout and then login again.
Re: External HD to work with Gentoo and Vista. [ In reply to ]
In recent kernels there is also direct writable support (stable, not experimental support) for NTFS without having to use NTFS-3G/FUSE. Should work with the Vista NTFS version too.
plugdev/etc. for mounting still apply though. I've used it a couple times. Personally, I'd rather have direct kernel support than FUSE support.

Ben




________________________________
From: Chris Faulkner <cfaulkner70@gmail.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@lists.gentoo.org
Sent: Monday, March 16, 2009 6:04:35 AM
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] External HD to work with Gentoo and Vista.

emerge ntfs3g

should solve your woes


On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 4:53 AM, Paul Stear <gentoo@appjaws.plus.com> wrote:

I thought I had cracked my problem of writing to a usb external ntfs HD, but I
was wrong. Let me pose the problem and hopefully somebody out there will be
able to set me straight.
I have mp3 files on an internal HD in my gentoo box. I back this up to an
external usb HD formated for ext2 - no problems.
I have now bought another external HD which I want to copy my mp3's to and be
able to play them when the external HD is plugged into a vista machine.
So the HD is formated with ntfs and works with vista but when I plug it into
gentoo and mount either automatically or manually I can not write to the
disk. I just get an error message as a user -- "Unable to enter
file:///mnt/external. You do not have access rights to this location."
As root the permissions seem to be correct user=root,Group=root,Owner Can View
& Modify Content but if I try as user to create a folder I get "Could not
make folder /mnt/external/New Folder." message.

So the question is:- How do I get an external usb disk to be writable on
gentoo and vista?

Thanks for any help
Paul
--
This message has been sent using kmail with gentoo linux
Re: External HD to work with Gentoo and Vista. [ In reply to ]
> In recent kernels there is also direct writable support (stable, not
> experimental support) for NTFS without having to use NTFS-3G/FUSE.

Really??

Just how recent do you mean?
Is it reliable? Are there any constraints left, such has 'only
overwriting files the same size' and such show-stoppers?

To make my question really clear: IS IT READY FOR DAILY USE??

If so, I love you, and want your babys Ben, for letting me know... ;)

Tom
Re: Re: External HD to work with Gentoo and Vista. [ In reply to ]
On Monday 16 March 2009 23:11:52 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
<snip>
> Make sure you're in the "usb" and "plugdev" groups. Add yourself to
> them, logout and then login again.

I am in the plugdev and usb groups, I'm sure this will turn out to be
something silly that I have done or not done.#
When I switch on the external HD, I am asked if I want to open in a new window
or do nothing. If I select open I then get an immediate error message. After a
lot more reading I have solved my problem. I created a udev rule, so now
when I click open, I am presented with a window that I can write files to as
a user. phew!!!
Again thanks to all who helped.
Paul

--
This message has been sent using kmail with gentoo linux
Re: External HD to work with Gentoo and Vista. [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 8:17 PM, Tom <uebershark@googlemail.com> wrote:
>> In recent kernels there is also direct writable support (stable, not
>> experimental support) for NTFS without having to use NTFS-3G/FUSE.
>
> Really??
>
> Just how recent do you mean?
> Is it reliable? Are there any constraints left, such has 'only
> overwriting files the same size' and such show-stoppers?
>
> To make my question really clear: IS IT READY FOR DAILY USE??
>
> If so, I love you, and want your babys Ben, for letting me know... ;)
>
> Tom

If you mount using the userspace tools, yes it is ready for daily use
:) The kernel driver still has limitations like, IIRC, being unable to
create/rename/delete directories, and some other basic things like
that.

Using the FUSE tools from the classical NTFS driver you can do those
things and the rest, but I think NTFS-3G is generally considered
better. Most of the big distros use NTFS-3G as their default NTFS
driver (as do I <g>)

For more NTFS info than you ever wanted, check out www.linux-ntfs.org
for the classic kernel driver and www.ntfs-3g.org for the newer
driver.
Re: External HD to work with Gentoo and Vista. [ In reply to ]
The reason I asked, was, that I generally get the feeling that ntfs-3g
offers relatively bad throughput?
Is this actually the case, or just my feeling/setup?

Does/Would the in-kernel driver offer better performance?

Thanks

Tom
Re: External HD to work with Gentoo and Vista. [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Mar 20, 2009 at 9:24 PM, Tom <uebershark@googlemail.com> wrote:
> The reason I asked, was, that I generally get the feeling that ntfs-3g
> offers relatively bad throughput?
> Is this actually the case, or just my feeling/setup?
>
> Does/Would the in-kernel driver offer better performance?
>
> Thanks
>
> Tom

Neither NTFS driver option offers anywhere near the performance of
NTFS on Windows (in my experience).
Re: External HD to work with Gentoo and Vista. [ In reply to ]
El Vie, 20 de Marzo de 2009, 16:26, Paul Hartman escribió:
> On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 8:17 PM, Tom <uebershark@googlemail.com> wrote:
>
>>> In recent kernels there is also direct writable support (stable, not
>>> experimental support) for NTFS without having to use NTFS-3G/FUSE.
>>
>> Really??
>>
>>
>> Just how recent do you mean?
>> Is it reliable? Are there any constraints left, such has 'only
>> overwriting files the same size' and such show-stoppers?
>>
>> To make my question really clear: IS IT READY FOR DAILY USE??
>>
>>
>> If so, I love you, and want your babys Ben, for letting me know... ;)
>>
>>
>> Tom
>>
>
> If you mount using the userspace tools, yes it is ready for daily use
> :) The kernel driver still has limitations like, IIRC, being unable to
> create/rename/delete directories, and some other basic things like that.
>
> Using the FUSE tools from the classical NTFS driver you can do those
> things and the rest, but I think NTFS-3G is generally considered better.
> Most of the big distros use NTFS-3G as their default NTFS
> driver (as do I <g>)
>
> For more NTFS info than you ever wanted, check out www.linux-ntfs.org
> for the classic kernel driver and www.ntfs-3g.org for the newer driver.
>
>

Paul, if you need to know about the current status I advice
you to start with the text on the help section of the relevant
item in menuconfig, and with any related file under the
documentation directory in your kernel source tree. In the
help section for ntfs write support we can read this:


============================================
CONFIG_NTFS_RW:

This enables the partial, but safe, write support in the NTFS driver.

The only supported operation is overwriting existing files, without
changing the file length. No file or directory creation, deletion or
renaming is possible. Note only non-resident files can be written to
so you may find that some very small files (<500 bytes or so) cannot
be written to.
============================================

Which in my language mean that it's not ready at all. Besides that
I don't think it has a so great user base, that means that there
might be other problems that have been completely unnoticed. In
short, I wouldn't use that driver with write support at all, that
is, if you value your data.

--
Jesús Guerrero