Is it possible to create a filter that will insert a custom header into
an incoming message upon receipt?

TIA!

Re: Filter for Incoming Email. Insert Custom Header? [ In reply to ]
On 2012-02-24 01:43, Don Ireland wrote:
> Is it possible to create a filter that will insert a custom header into
> an incoming message upon receipt?

Must it be a filter? The word has a particular meaning in Exim,
and there are other simpler ways.

You've not said when (for every mail? only some senders?
only some recipients? only claiming to come from google and
postedbetween 1415 and 1417 Kazakstan time?)
or what you want added for this header.
--
Jeremy

Re: Filter for Incoming Email. Insert Custom Header? [ In reply to ]
Thanks for the reply. The issue is that I've got MANY email addresses that all eventually route to the same address.

The large majority of them funnel through a special email address and that one forwards to my main address.

I need some way for my email client to "know" that it went through that special address. I want to set my email client to NOT sound an alert when a message arrives having routed through it.

I had hoped to set the client to watch for a custom header to be in the message headers.

I'm a user on a shared hosting system. We have Exim installed and I've been told where I can place my filters.

Don Ireland

Re: Filter for Incoming Email. Insert Custom Header? [ In reply to ]
Am 26.02.2012 00:05, schrieb Don Ireland:
> Thanks for the reply. The issue is that I've got MANY email addresses that all eventually route to the same address.
>
> The large majority of them funnel through a special email address and that one forwards to my main address.

I don't think you need a configuration change , just check for the
"ENVELOPE-TO:" Header. It contains the address, where it was send to in
the first place.

Marius

Re: Filter for Incoming Email. Insert Custom Header? [ In reply to ]
Cyborg: Sorry about sending my reply directly to you earlier. I
thought I had sent it to the list.

Which would require typing in every possible email address in a filter.
But if I could somehow search for that interim email address, I only
need one filter.

Really if there was some way to insert a custom header into EVERY
message that is sent to a particular address, that would work well too.
It's the part about inserting that I'm stumbling on.

Re: Filter for Incoming Email. Insert Custom Header? [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 10:59 PM, <eximUsersList@donireland.com> wrote:
> Cyborg:  Sorry about sending my reply directly to you earlier.  I thought I
> had sent it to the list.
>
> Which would require typing in every possible email address in a filter.  But
> if I could somehow search for that interim email address, I only need one
> filter.
>
> Really if there was some way to insert a custom header into EVERY message
> that is sent to a particular address, that would work well too.  It's the
> part about inserting that I'm stumbling on.

http://www.exim.org/exim-html-current/doc/html/spec_html/ch40.html#SECTaddheadacl

...Todd
--
SOPA: Any attempt to [use legal means to] reverse technological
advances is doomed.  --Leo Leporte

Re: Filter for Incoming Email. Insert Custom Header? [ In reply to ]
Thanks.  I'm a user on a shared hosting system.  I'll ask my host, but I don't think I have access to Access Control Lists.  Is there anything that can be done at the filter level?

Don Ireland

Sent from my Android Phone
Please excuse brevity and possible Typos.