Mailing List Archive

Bounce Handling
Hello everyone. I am hoping someone can give me a hand as I am having a
hard time of it.

I will give basic background upfront for clarification purposes.

I am setting up a server for the sole purpose of sending marketing and
informational communications to a subscription based list for a client.
This setup will not be used to accept incoming mail only sending.

My clients want to use different email addresses depending on the
department or who is sending them. i.e. books@example.com, tom@example.com.

They want to keep track of bounces/deliveries.

What I having trouble with is how do I send all bounces to a specific
address or pipe because the from email address they use to send them
will not be an actual user in the sense of configured on the server,
just a user configured via software. (I tried setting errors_to on the
router, but that did not seem to work)

Secondly, is there a way to disable the sending of "delayed" messages
also, as I don't really need to know about them unless they are a hard
fail.

Thanks in advance!

-Micah

Re: Bounce Handling [ In reply to ]
MaDhAt2r via Exim-users <exim-users@exim.org> (Mi 15 Mai 2019 20:49:47 CEST):
> My clients want to use different email addresses depending on the
> department or who is sending them. i.e. books@example.com, tom@example.com.
>
> They want to keep track of bounces/deliveries.
>
> What I having trouble with is how do I send all bounces to a specific
> address or pipe because the from email address they use to send them
> will not be an actual user in the sense of configured on the server,
> just a user configured via software. (I tried setting errors_to on the
> router, but that did not seem to work)

FROM: books@example.com
TO: subscribed@@example.org
To: subscribed2@example.org

---> this is now sent through your server to the outside world?

In case the bounce does not happen on your server, you're out of luck,
until you're willing to handle mails for example.com (the senders
domain) and indicate this via a proper DNS setup (MX records or proper A
records).

In case the bounce is generated *on* your server (e.g. because the
destination domain isn't reachable), it depends on you how you handle
mails from <> to books@example.com.

Normally the standard dnslookup router setup from the plain example
config should do. Your server behaves as almost every other MTA on this
planet: do an MX lookup and send the mail to the host willing to handle
example.com's messages.

If you want to hangle this locally, you could do so by a modified
aliases mechanism, inserted at the very beginning of your routers chain:

bounces:
driver = redirect
data = ${lookup{$local_part@$domain}lsearch{/etc/exim/bounce-handler}}

And the bounce-handler file can contain alias definitions
(pipelines, other addresses, files, whatever). The router configuration
may need additional options, depending on your alias destinations.

Or directly into a command:

begin routers:

bounces:
driver = redirect
data = |/opt/bin/bounce-handler $local_part@$domain
pipe_transport = bounce_pipe

begin transports:

bounce_pipe:
driver = pipe

> Secondly, is there a way to disable the sending of "delayed" messages
> also, as I don't really need to know about them unless they are a hard
> fail.

Look for delay_warning main config option.

Best regards from Dresden/Germany
Viele Grüße aus Dresden
Heiko Schlittermann
Re: Bounce Handling [ In reply to ]
Heiko, thanks so much for your help!

I think I misstated the server role. I intend on having it face the
world with proper DNS records. I just don't want it to store mail as
none of the addresses they use will be checked, so I do not want to
store mail for them, just handle bounce mail to them. All the reply-to
headers will be set to a noreply address, which is blackholed.

This is where I am still unclear. Is there a way that I can get all the
bounces to come to a specific address like bounce@example.com (perhaps
using errors_to) and then send the rest to :blackhole:?

What is the proper way to handle this?

I apologize if these issues are obvious in some way, I just cannot seem
to find the answers anywhere. I really appreciate your help.

-Micah