Mailing List Archive

dovecot_login authenticator failed for (User) [45.125.66.123]: 535 Incorrect authentication data
I have added the dovecot_plain and dovecot_login config sections in exim.conf as mentioned at https://lists.exim.org/lurker/message/20160510.131600.8a2b3a46.en.html#exim-users

but while i try to connect to the smtp server from the mail client from macOS, I get the error:
dovecot_login authenticator failed for (User) [45.125.66.123]: 535 Incorrect authentication data

I was able to connect to dovecot but unable to connect to exim.

$ dovecot --version
2.3.5 (513208660)

$ exim --version
Exim version 4.92 #3 built 22-Apr-2019 22:42:30

$ uname
Linux

Thank you

… Necktwi

Re: dovecot_login authenticator failed for (User) [45.125.66.123]: 535 Incorrect authentication data [ In reply to ]
I have also set

unix_listener auth-client {
mode = 0660
user = mail
}

in /etc/dovecot/conf.d/10-master.conf

I don't understand why dovecot_login authenticator fails though I have given the right username and password to my mail client.
Please help me debug the issue. can i make the error: Incorrect authentication data, more verbose?

... Necktwi

Re: dovecot_login authenticator failed for (User) [45.125.66.123]: 535 Incorrect authentication data [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Apr 29, 2019 at 10:37 PM necktwi via Exim-users <exim-users@exim.org>
wrote:

> I have also set
>
> unix_listener auth-client {
> mode = 0660
> user = mail
> }
>
> in /etc/dovecot/conf.d/10-master.conf
>
> I don't understand why dovecot_login authenticator fails though I have
> given the right username and password to my mail client.
> Please help me debug the issue. can i make the error: Incorrect
> authentication data, more verbose?

Exim does not have information about the Dovecot internals, so this is
really a question for Dovecot users.

However, I happen to know that at least with Debian's packaging, Dovecot by
default logs to a combination of /var/log/mail.info, mail.err, mail.warn,
and mail.log, depending on your configuration of
/etc/dovecot/conf.d/10-logging.conf

So check the settings there, and consider enabling e.g. auth_debug = yes
and auth_verbose = yes, and ask any questions regarding Dovecot auth
debugging on the relevant Dovecot mailing list.

--
Jan