Mailing List Archive

Building exim on Debian Stretch
I am sure I a being obtuse here but.... I run exim on my firewall
computer which for historical reasons runs Debian. I am in the process of
upgrading to Stretch but I cannot build exim. I rather like to have my own
build as (a) Debian lags behind current versions usually and (b) I have a
lot of stuff in the configuration.

Attempting the build on stretch I hit a problem with dbm.
gcc -DMACRO_PREDEF macro_predef.c
In file included from exim.h:493:0,
from macro_predef.c:11:
dbstuff.h:101:16: fatal error: db.h: No such file or directory
#include <db.h>
^
compilation terminated.

I cannot find a package to include Berkeley db, although it was there in
Jessie.

What am I doing wrong? I tried reading the documentation on dbm but it
did not seem to help. I do seem to have gdbm package installed but not
sure if that helps or is relevant.

==John ffitch

Re: Building exim on Debian Stretch [ In reply to ]
On 16/01/2019 20:03, jpff via Exim-users wrote:
> dbstuff.h:101:16: fatal error: db.h: No such file or directory
>  #include <db.h>
>                 ^
> compilation terminated.
>
> I cannot find a package to include Berkeley db, although it was there in
> Jessie.

perhaps libdb5.3-dev ?

https://packages.debian.org/search?suite=stretch&arch=any&searchon=contents&keywords=%2Fusr%2Finclude%2Fdb.h
Jeremy

Re: Building exim on Debian Stretch [ In reply to ]
Hi John,

Snip...

> What am I doing wrong? I tried reading the documentation on dbm but it
> did not seem to help. I do seem to have gdbm package installed but not
> sure if that helps or is relevant.

Have you installed libdbm-dev ?

lists/exim/users/2019-01-16.tx exim-users
| Dave Restall, Computer Anorak, Geek, Cyclist, Radio Amateur G4FCU, Bodger |
| Mob +44 (0) 7973 831245 Skype: dave.restall Radio: G4FCU |
| email : dave@restall.net - Anti-SocialMediaist - Web : Not Ready Yet :-( |
+- QOTD ---------------------------------------------------------------------+
| Tell me what to think!!! |
Re: Building exim on Debian Stretch [ In reply to ]
jpff via Exim-users <exim-users@exim.org> (Mi 16 Jan 2019 21:03:45 CET):
> I am sure I a being obtuse here but.... I run exim on my firewall computer
> which for historical reasons runs Debian. I am in the process of upgrading
> to Stretch but I cannot build exim. I rather like to have my own build as
> (a) Debian lags behind current versions usually and (b) I have a lot of
> stuff in the configuration.
>
> Attempting the build on stretch I hit a problem with dbm.
> gcc -DMACRO_PREDEF macro_predef.c
> In file included from exim.h:493:0,
> from macro_predef.c:11:
> dbstuff.h:101:16: fatal error: db.h: No such file or directory
> #include <db.h>
> ^
> compilation terminated.
>
> I cannot find a package to include Berkeley db, although it was there in
> Jessie.

Try

libdb5.3-dev: /usr/include/db.h
… or libdb-dev, it pulls the above current one.

Best regards from Dresden/Germany
Viele Grüße aus Dresden
Heiko Schlittermann
Re: Building exim on Debian Stretch [ In reply to ]

https://packages.debian.org/source/stretch/db5.3 is the source package
https://packages.debian.org/stretch/libdb5.3 is the libraries themselves
https://packages.debian.org/stretch/db5.3-util is the utilities

Re: Building exim on Debian Stretch [ In reply to ]
Thank yu all fotr the response. I tried with aptitude to finfd the
libdb5.3-dev and lindb-dev packages but they w`ere not found. But
enbolde`ned by your responses i just get an apt-get and behold! I have
moved to the next missing package.

Thanks again and apologies for my stupidity

==John

Re: Building exim on Debian Stretch [ In reply to ]
[...]

https://packages.debian.org/file:db.h
https://packages.debian.org/search?mode=exactfilename&searchon=contents&keywords=db.h

Re: Building exim on Debian Stretch [ In reply to ]
On Jan 16, Dave Restall - System Administrator, , , via Exim-users wrote
> Hi John,
>
> Snip...
>
> > What am I doing wrong? I tried reading the documentation on dbm but it
> > did not seem to help. I do seem to have gdbm package installed but not
> > sure if that helps or is relevant.
>
> Have you installed libdbm-dev ?

More generally this is harder that it needs to be, but here's a
solution:

# apt-get install apt-file
# apt-file update
# apt-file search -x "/db\.h$"