Mailing List Archive

MIME madness
Does Exim ever change messages with respect to the MIME encoding of
parts, if the MIME ACL is not used? That is, can it take an encoded
message, take it apart, and re-encode it (possibly changing the
message's bit representation)?

The context is the link below and down the thread from there. I have
seen this problem for years and many other parts of my email setup have
been changing. Exim has been the one constant, and I never allowed
myself to suspect it. But after the last message from Kevin McCarthy, I
do suspect it.

http://lists.mutt.org/pipermail/mutt-users/Week-of-Mon-20181022/000488.html

See also

https://very.loosely.org/itz-blog/the-problem-with-gpg-signatures.html

which describes the same problem as I tried to solve it more than a year
ago, with quite a different setup (but still behind exim).

Re: MIME madness [ In reply to ]
On 28/10/2018 17:26, Ian Zimmerman via Exim-users wrote:
> Does Exim ever change messages with respect to the MIME encoding of
> parts, if the MIME ACL is not used? That is, can it take an encoded
> message, take it apart, and re-encode it (possibly changing the
> message's bit representation)?

I don't think so. Could still be just corrupting mails without
any MIME-part involvement, of course.
Jeremy

Re: MIME madness [ In reply to ]
On 2018-10-28 17:48, Jeremy Harris wrote:

> > Does Exim ever change messages with respect to the MIME encoding of
> > parts, if the MIME ACL is not used? That is, can it take an encoded
> > message, take it apart, and re-encode it (possibly changing the
> > message's bit representation)?
>
> I don't think so. Could still be just corrupting mails without any
> MIME-part involvement, of course.

Since MIME encoding is per-part, and the modifications are still valid
MIME (with the same QP encoding), this is very hard to imagine.
Whatever is responsible for the corruption must be manipulating the MIME
structure.