I've set smtp_receive_timeout in an attempt to limit the time an incoming connection can stay active - this works as designed - however this timer is reset whenever any new data comes in - I'd like to set a maximum connection time - so that when an incoming connection is established it has a finite amount of time to get the job done - otherwise it gets disconnected - is there a known way to do this?

Regards

Julian

Re: Any way to implement an incoming SMTP time limit? [ In reply to ]
On 10/03/18 14:21, Julian Rhind via Exim-users wrote:
> I've set smtp_receive_timeout in an attempt to limit the time an incoming connection can stay active - this works as designed - however this timer is reset whenever any new data comes in - I'd like to set a maximum connection time - so that when an incoming connection is established it has a finite amount of time to get the job done - otherwise it gets disconnected - is there a known way to do this?

Nope. You could place limits on SMTP command _numbers_ by counting them
in ACLs; combined with the per-command timeout that gets you most
of the way there. Or you could explicitly check the times, also
in ACLs.
Jeremy

Re: Any way to implement an incoming SMTP time limit? [ In reply to ]
> On Mar 12, 2018, at 7:38 AM, Jeremy Harris via Exim-users <exim-users@exim.org> wrote:
>
>> I've set smtp_receive_timeout in an attempt to limit the time an incoming connection can stay active - this works as designed - however this timer is reset whenever any new data comes in - I'd like to set a maximum connection time - so that when an incoming connection is established it has a finite amount of time to get the job done - otherwise it gets disconnected - is there a known way to do this?
>
> Nope. You could place limits on SMTP command _numbers_ by counting them
> in ACLs; combined with the per-command timeout that gets you most
> of the way there. Or you could explicitly check the times, also
> in ACLs.

The OP should also keep in mind that connection reuse (to send multiple
messages) is also common, and quite legitimate, and a global connection
timeout (rather than a per-command timeout) could interrupt an extended
connection that delivers multiple messages.

--
Viktor.