Mailing List Archive

Router testing with "source port"
Hi list!

I have in my exim configuration many routers depending from the port
used to send the E-Mail.
Now I need to test them and I really don't know how... :(

To test a router I usually use exim -bt blah@blah.de, but so exim use
ignore the source port.
Is there any option for "exim -bt" to specify the source port of the E-Mail?
Otherwise I really don't know how to test the routers...

Thanks a lot for your help!
Luca Bertoncello
(lucabert@lucabert.de)


--
## List details at https://lists.exim.org/mailman/listinfo/exim-users
## Exim details at http://www.exim.org/
## Please use the Wiki with this list - http://wiki.exim.org/
Re: Router testing with "source port" [ In reply to ]
On 12/03/18 08:14, Luca Bertoncello via Exim-users wrote:
> To test a router I usually use exim -bt blah@blah.de, but so exim use
> ignore the source port.
> Is there any option for "exim -bt" to specify the source port of the
> E-Mail?

No, because you're not actually sending a message. Use "-bh" instead,
and look at the manual for how to indicate a source.
--
Cheers,
Jeremy



--
## List details at https://lists.exim.org/mailman/listinfo/exim-users
## Exim details at http://www.exim.org/
## Please use the Wiki with this list - http://wiki.exim.org/
Re: Router testing with "source port" [ In reply to ]
Hi, Luca -

Take a look at the *The Exim command line* section in the *Exim
Specification*. In there you'll find many options beginning with "-oM" that
can be used to set all sorts of things. For example, you might find the
-oMa option useful.

You can use these with -bt, or you can do other types of testing such as
running a fake Exim session using the -bh option (or -bhc if your
configuration uses callouts to verify addresses and you want these
performed as well).

If you've not already done so it's well worth sitting down and reading all
the way through *Specification* as it gives a lot of insights into things.
(I'm about due to read it through yet again at our next upgrade as things
do evolve as new features are introduced over the years.)

Cheers,
Mike B-)

On 12 March 2018 at 08:14, Luca Bertoncello via Exim-users <
exim-users@exim.org> wrote:

> Hi list!
>
> I have in my exim configuration many routers depending from the port used
> to send the E-Mail.
> Now I need to test them and I really don't know how... :(
>
> To test a router I usually use exim -bt blah@blah.de, but so exim use
> ignore the source port.
> Is there any option for "exim -bt" to specify the source port of the
> E-Mail?
> Otherwise I really don't know how to test the routers...
>
> Thanks a lot for your help!
> Luca Bertoncello
> (lucabert@lucabert.de)
>
>
> --
> ## List details at https://lists.exim.org/mailman/listinfo/exim-users
> ## Exim details at http://www.exim.org/
> ## Please use the Wiki with this list - http://wiki.exim.org/
>



--
Systems Administrator & Change Manager
IT Services, University of York, Heslington, York YO10 5DD, UK
Tel: +44-(0)1904-323811

Web: www.york.ac.uk/it-services
Disclaimer: www.york.ac.uk/docs/disclaimer/email.htm
--
## List details at https://lists.exim.org/mailman/listinfo/exim-users
## Exim details at http://www.exim.org/
## Please use the Wiki with this list - http://wiki.exim.org/
Re: Router testing with "source port" [ In reply to ]
Zitat von Mike Brudenell via Exim-users <exim-users@exim.org>:

Hi Mike!

> Take a look at the *The Exim command line* section in the *Exim
> Specification*. In there you'll find many options beginning with "-oM" that
> can be used to set all sorts of things. For example, you might find the
> -oMa option useful.
>
> You can use these with -bt, or you can do other types of testing such as
> running a fake Exim session using the -bh option (or -bhc if your
> configuration uses callouts to verify addresses and you want these
> performed as well).
>
> If you've not already done so it's well worth sitting down and reading all
> the way through *Specification* as it gives a lot of insights into things.
> (I'm about due to read it through yet again at our next upgrade as things
> do evolve as new features are introduced over the years.)

I got it:

exim -oMi [127.0.0.1]:10026 -f blah@blub.de blub@bblah.de

Regards
Luca Bertoncello
(lucabert@lucabert.de)


--
## List details at https://lists.exim.org/mailman/listinfo/exim-users
## Exim details at http://www.exim.org/
## Please use the Wiki with this list - http://wiki.exim.org/