system.

Thanks
Lars
Re: On-Disk Format [ In reply to ]
From: Lars Täuber <taeuber@bbaw.de>
> I administrate a running drbd system, that has some flaws.
> There are two SuSE 11.1 servers mirroring 12TB.
> Is it possible to migrate [that] to Ubuntu 12.04 LTS?

Probably. However, while SuSE has always been buggy, Ubuntu isn't that much
better AFAICT. You've heard all the "OMG Unity is horrible!!1!" traffic on
various mailing lists, right? That's more important for orkstations than
servers, but it shows they're out of touch with users' wants. I'd go for
CentOS or Gentoo myself.

> Will drbd 8.3.11 understand the on-disk format of a previous 8.3.8.1
> installation?

Yes.

> Install an Ubuntu system on the secondary and synchronize after
> installation, then make the new system primary and do the same to
> the [old] system.

That should work. The main thing you'll have to do is account for all the
differences between the old distro and the new distro in terms of running
programs and config file differences.

--
Matt G / Dances With Crows
The Crow202 Blog: http://crow202.org/wordpress/

Re: On-Disk Format [ In reply to ]
Hi Matt,

Am Mon, 26 Mar 2012 10:47:15 -0700
"Matt Graham" <danceswithcrows@usa.net> schrieb:
> From: Lars Täuber <taeuber@bbaw.de>
> > I administrate a running drbd system, that has some flaws.
> > There are two SuSE 11.1 servers mirroring 12TB.
> > Is it possible to migrate [that] to Ubuntu 12.04 LTS?
>
> Probably. However, while SuSE has always been buggy, Ubuntu isn't that much
> better AFAICT. You've heard all the "OMG Unity is horrible!!1!" traffic on
> various mailing lists, right? That's more important for orkstations than
> servers, but it shows they're out of touch with users' wants. I'd go for
> CentOS or Gentoo myself.

I'm relatively happy with the ubuntu LTS server versions so far.

> > Will drbd 8.3.11 understand the on-disk format of a previous 8.3.8.1
> > installation?
>
> Yes.

Many thanks. I'll try it then.

> > Install an Ubuntu system on the secondary and synchronize after
> > installation, then make the new system primary and do the same to
> > the [old] system.
>
> That should work. The main thing you'll have to do is account for all the
> differences between the old distro and the new distro in terms of running
> programs and config file differences.

Of course.

Lars
Re: On-Disk Format [ In reply to ]
On 03/27/2012 06:25 PM, Lars Täuber wrote:
> Hi Matt,
>
> Am Mon, 26 Mar 2012 10:47:15 -0700
> "Matt Graham" <danceswithcrows@usa.net> schrieb:
>> From: Lars Täuber <taeuber@bbaw.de>
>>> I administrate a running drbd system, that has some flaws.
>>> There are two SuSE 11.1 servers mirroring 12TB.
>>> Is it possible to migrate [that] to Ubuntu 12.04 LTS?
>>
>> Probably. However, while SuSE has always been buggy,

What?

As you can probably tell from my email address and/or signature, I may
not be completely unbiased, but if DRBD (or anything else) is broken on
SLES or openSUSE, please do elaborate.

Regards,

Tim
--