Mailing List Archive

Re: My outdated Clam.
Following Edwin's reply (and thanks for that) I visited the clamav.net site. I downloaded the ClamAV 0.97.3 install guide. It consists of 17 pages of highly technical instructions which are so beyond me that I could not even think of doing anything that it says: Firmware password; Terminal instructions galore; " Many people don ́t like or hate the terminal but there is no reason for that." The very next line is "The default shell is the bash." How on earth can this apply to the ordinary computer user? There follows copious programming instructions, like:
cd $HOME/Source
mkdir gnupg
cd gnupg
curl -L ftp://mirror.switch.ch/mirror/gnupg/gnupg/gnupg-1.4.11.tar.gz -o gnupg-1.4.11.tar.gz

openssl sha1 gnupg-1.4.11.tar.gz

SHA1 checksum : bffb0c60b2e702980f7148ee3a060f29adc82331

tar -xzvf gnupg-1.4.11.tar.gz cd gnupg-1.4.11

./configure

I accept that clam is a good anti-malware software, and that those who understand all this technicality are very knowledgable and intelligent, but it is so many light-years away for the average consumer that it is unsuitable for any other user than a technical guru. Commercial software, such as Microsoft Word, Photoshop, and also various anti-malware software, install at the touch of a key without any complexity. Compare that to the download for Clam: 55 folders and files, only one of which looked like an installation, and that had Terminal instructions.

Sorry folks, but I have removed as much of Clam as I can and, regretfully but thankfully, will not approach it ever again.

But thanks for the reply.
----------------

http://www.clamav.net/support/ml
Re: My outdated Clam. [ In reply to ]
On 3/7/2012 2:25 PM, Steve Kirkby wrote:
> Following Edwin's reply (and thanks for that) I visited the clamav.net site. I downloaded the ClamAV 0.97.3 install guide. It consists of 17 pages of highly technical instructions which are so beyond me that I could not even think of doing anything that it says: Firmware password; Terminal instructions galore; " Many people don ́t like or hate the terminal but there is no reason for that." The very next line is "The default shell is the bash." How on earth can this apply to the ordinary computer user? There follows copious programming instructions, like:
> cd $HOME/Source
> mkdir gnupg
> cd gnupg
> curl -L ftp://mirror.switch.ch/mirror/gnupg/gnupg/gnupg-1.4.11.tar.gz -o gnupg-1.4.11.tar.gz
>
> openssl sha1 gnupg-1.4.11.tar.gz
>
> SHA1 checksum : bffb0c60b2e702980f7148ee3a060f29adc82331
>
> tar -xzvf gnupg-1.4.11.tar.gz cd gnupg-1.4.11
>
> ./configure
>
> I accept that clam is a good anti-malware software, and that those who understand all this technicality are very knowledgable and intelligent, but it is so many light-years away for the average consumer that it is unsuitable for any other user than a technical guru. Commercial software, such as Microsoft Word, Photoshop, and also various anti-malware software, install at the touch of a key without any complexity. Compare that to the download for Clam: 55 folders and files, only one of which looked like an installation, and that had Terminal instructions.
>
> Sorry folks, but I have removed as much of Clam as I can and, regretfully but thankfully, will not approach it ever again.

ClamAV is designed to be installed by a sysadmin in a linux
environment. It is not generally considered to be a consumer product.
However, on most platforms, the majority of the install can be done by
"yum install clamav" or a similar command.

On the other hand, I thought we had determined that you were using the
Mac ClamXav program, which was reportedly in the process of being
updated with the new ClamAV code. So my suggestion would be to just
relax and wait for ClamXav to be updated. You should then be able to
install with the normal Mac install tools (no command line needed).

--
Bowie
http://www.clamav.net/support/ml
Re: My outdated Clam. [ In reply to ]
On 3/7/12 11:25 AM, "Steve Kirkby" <knj@today.plus.com> wrote:

> Following Edwin's reply (and thanks for that) I visited the clamav.net site.

Did you not receive a reply from Mark Allan or myself? You should not be
attempting to install the engine on a Mac. The appropriate site for
assistance with ClamXav, to include the engine installation, is
<http://markallan.co.uk/BB/viewforum.php?f=1>

-Al-

--
Al Varnell
Mountain View, CA

http://www.clamav.net/support/ml
Re: My outdated Clam. [ In reply to ]
On 07-03-2012 11:25, Steve Kirkby wrote:
> Following Edwin's reply (and thanks for that) I visited the clamav.net site. I downloaded the ClamAV 0.97.3 install guide. It consists of 17 pages of highly technical instructions which are so beyond me that I could not even think of doing anything that it says: Firmware password; Terminal instructions galore; " Many people don ́t like or hate the terminal but there is no reason for that." The very next line is "The default shell is the bash." How on earth can this apply to the ordinary computer user? There follows copious programming instructions, like:
> cd $HOME/Source
> mkdir gnupg
> cd gnupg
> curl -L ftp://mirror.switch.ch/mirror/gnupg/gnupg/gnupg-1.4.11.tar.gz -o gnupg-1.4.11.tar.gz
>
> openssl sha1 gnupg-1.4.11.tar.gz
>
> SHA1 checksum : bffb0c60b2e702980f7148ee3a060f29adc82331
>
> tar -xzvf gnupg-1.4.11.tar.gz cd gnupg-1.4.11
>
> ./configure
>
> I accept that clam is a good anti-malware software, and that those who understand all this technicality are very knowledgable and intelligent, but it is so many light-years away for the average consumer that it is unsuitable for any other user than a technical guru. Commercial software, such as Microsoft Word, Photoshop, and also various anti-malware software, install at the touch of a key without any complexity. Compare that to the download for Clam: 55 folders and files, only one of which looked like an installation, and that had Terminal instructions.
>
> Sorry folks, but I have removed as much of Clam as I can and, regretfully but thankfully, will not approach it ever again.
>
> But thanks for the reply.
> ----------------

> Help us build a comprehensive ClamAV guide: visit http://wiki.clamav.net
> http://www.clamav.net/support/ml
Hello Steve,
The clamav installation & update can be daunting for the non-programmer
but Mark Allen, the progammer of ClamXav, has a webpage that is only
one page long that can update your clamav engine for ClamXav and here is
the website: http://www.clamxav.com/docs_byo.php

Also there is support forum for ClamXav that can assist you in updating
your ClamXav at this website:
http://www.markallan.co.uk/BB/viewforum.php?f=1&sid=2f99d47ca35c46e9b5f816cb52911c28

I hope this helps,
Frank

http://www.clamav.net/support/ml
Re: My outdated Clam. [ In reply to ]
On 03/07/2012 12:25 PM, Steve Kirkby wrote:

> I accept that clam is a good anti-malware software, and that those who understand all this technicality are very knowledgable and intelligent, but it is so many light-years away for the average consumer that it is unsuitable for any other user than a technical guru. Commercial software, such as Microsoft Word, Photoshop, and also various anti-malware software, install at the touch of a key without any complexity. Compare that to the download for Clam: 55 folders and files, only one of which looked like an installation, and that had Terminal instructions.

That is why there is a default installation for most platforms and
vendors do updates as they can. Unfortunately that means that there is
always a lag in updating and it does not usually mean much. The warnings
about out-of-date do not mean much as long as they are for minor updates
of the application itself, e.g. 0.97.2 -> 0.97.3. If your signatures are
more than a day over due for updating that is another matter.
> Sorry folks, but I have removed as much of Clam as I can and, regretfully but thankfully, will not approach it ever again.
>
> But thanks for the reply.
> ----------------

Sorry you feel that way, but with these sentiments, you are probably
better off with one of the other free AV solutions.

--
Jim Preston
jimlinux@commspeed.net

http://www.clamav.net/support/ml
Re: My outdated Clam. [ In reply to ]
hhhmmmm...

I have over 250 users at my site. We use clamAV on our mail (SMTP) gateway currently running FC 16. It's not just good, it's great :) and given it's open source I have to take my hats off to those who commit the time to make it happen, and I hardly consider myself a guru (or "technically ... knowledgeable")

Yes, the average consumer should not be concerned with such stuff, but if your on this list, I would hardly consider you the average consumer.

It's like Alulah use to say. First learn to play before you sit down to jam :)

Re: My outdated Clam. [ In reply to ]
Shawn Bakhtiar said:

"It's [Clam] not just good, it's great ".

I am sure it is. But it is only for highly technically competent people. (And there is nothing wrong in that.)

"Yes, the average consumer should not be concerned with such stuff, but if you'r on this list, I would hardly consider you the average consumer. "

Exactly. But I dropped into Clam from a recommendation on the Apple discussions Group. There are some highly technical people there but in the post the recommender was addressing average uses of the Mac.

Perhaps the Clam authors should put a conspicuous statement on the Clam site (in several places) to warn people that Clam is not for non-technical user.
----------------

http://www.clamav.net/support/ml
Re: My outdated Clam. [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 8:12 AM, Steve Kirkby <knj@today.plus.com> wrote:
> Shawn Bakhtiar said:
>
> "It's [Clam] not just good, it's great ".
>
> I am sure it is. But it is only for highly technically competent people. (And there is nothing wrong in that.)

I disagree with that assertion. ClamAV in it's source form is for
any moderately competent Unix / Linux System Administrator. You do not
have to be "highly technically competent" to be a good Sys Admin, you
need to know some command line basics and be able to follow
instructions.

I agree that ClamAV in it's source form is NOT for the typical end
user, especially an end user who is not comfortable with the command
line user interface.

--
{--------1---------2---------3---------4---------5---------6---------7---------}
Paul Kraus
Re: My outdated Clam. [ In reply to ]
On 3/14/12 5:12 AM, "Steve Kirkby" <knj@today.plus.com> wrote:

> Shawn Bakhtiar said:
>
> "It's [Clam] not just good, it's great ".
>
> I am sure it is. But it is only for highly technically competent people. (And
> there is nothing wrong in that.)
>
> "Yes, the average consumer should not be concerned with such stuff, but if
> you'r on this list, I would hardly consider you the average consumer. "
>
> Exactly. But I dropped into Clam from a recommendation on the Apple
> discussions Group. There are some highly technical people there but in the
> post the recommender was addressing average uses of the Mac.

I'm quite confident that those folks on the Apple Community Discussion Forum
recommend the use of ClamXav which is for average Mac users and why I keep
saying that the appropriate place for help in this matter is the ClamXav
Forum and not this list.

-Al-

--
Al Varnell
Mountain View, CA

http://www.clamav.net/support/ml
Re: My outdated Clam. [ In reply to ]
At 08:50 AM 3/14/2012, Al Varnell wrote:
>On 3/14/12 5:12 AM, "Steve Kirkby" <knj@today.plus.com> wrote:
> >
> > Exactly. But I dropped into Clam from a recommendation on the Apple
> > discussions Group. There are some highly technical people there but in the
> > post the recommender was addressing average uses of the Mac.
> >
>I'm quite confident that those folks on the Apple Community Discussion Forum
>recommend the use of ClamXav which is for average Mac users and why I keep
>saying that the appropriate place for help in this matter is the ClamXav
>Forum and not this list.

But a general problem is that "average users" don't know/understand
that ClamAV by itself doesn't do squat and that they need a 3rd party
software to make use of it. And that any update to the used ClamAV
"engine" should be though that particular 3rd party software, in this
case ClamXav.

Some of those 3rd party applications, like ClamWin for example, keep
the same version numbering as ClamAV itself and update pretty quickly.

However ClamXav decided to use a different version numbering for
itself and seems to be very slow to update to new versions of the
underlying ClamAV engine, contrary what for example the ClamAV
Wikipedia article says.
The latest version of ClamXav is 2.2.2, from 2011-08-12, including
ClamAV 0.9.7.2 (don't know right now when that version came out). The
latest ClamAV 0.9.7.3 came out 2011-10-17, a bit more than two month
later but by now almost 5 month ago, without an update for ClamXav
that would include 0.9.7.3 apparently in sight.

And the "DON'T PANIC" message in the logs isn't really helping with
"average users", as they will likely do just that, panic, and then
end up in the mess that Steve found himself in.

Ralf

http://www.clamav.net/support/ml
Re: My outdated Clam. [ In reply to ]
On 03/14/2012 05:12 AM, Steve Kirkby wrote:
> Shawn Bakhtiar said:
>
> "It's [Clam] not just good, it's great ".
>
> I am sure it is. But it is only for highly technically competent people. (And there is nothing wrong in that.)
>
> "Yes, the average consumer should not be concerned with such stuff, but if you'r on this list, I would hardly consider you the average consumer."
>
> Exactly. But I dropped into Clam from a recommendation on the Apple discussions Group. There are some highly technical people there but in the post the recommender was addressing average uses of the Mac.
And did you do that from Clamav sources? or from a prebuilt binary
installation?
If you used a prebuilt binary installation, then your best bet (and that
of most users) is to wait for the next release of a prebuilt binary
installation.

If you built from sources, then I do not see where your arguments are
coming from.
> Perhaps the Clam authors should put a conspicuous statement on the Clam site (in several places) to warn people that Clam is not for non-technical user.

Why, even many non-technical users can figure it out given a chance and
asking questions. In your case you looked at it, decided it was too
difficult for you and therefore must be too difficult for everyone.

--
Jim Preston

http://www.clamav.net/support/ml