Mailing List Archive

amavisd-new + clamAV ?
Hi, guys,

I would like to ask one question.
I currently updated amavisd-new-2.5.2,1 clamav-0.90.3 in FreeBSD, and it
turned out the speed of sending out and receiving the email becomes so slow.

I discovered that amavisd-new is proceeding the virus scanning by using
clamscan, which takes 2 process by capacity 60%-90% of CPU,
meanwhile it takes 3 minutes to scan one email.

Do you have any idea how to solve this problem?
or how to disable clamav, since i think to skip the virus scanning process
to make the sending email out much faster.

p.s. I actually enabled clamd daemon, but it seems still use clamscan for
scanning.

The below is the information for the snippet setting of amavisd.conf:

@av_scanners = (
### http://www.clamav.net/
['ClamAV-clamd',
\&ask_daemon, ["CONTSCAN {}\n", "/var/run/clamav/clamd"],
qr/\bOK$/, qr/\bFOUND$/,
qr/^.*?: (?!Infected Archive)(.*) FOUND$/ ],

@av_scanners_backup = (
### http://www.clamav.net/ - backs up clamd or Mail::ClamAV
['ClamAV-clamscan', 'clamscan',
"--stdout --disable-summary -r --tempdir=$TEMPBASE {}", [0], [1],
qr/^.*?: (?!Infected Archive)(.*) FOUND$/ ],

Kevin.
Re: amavisd-new + clamAV ? [ In reply to ]
Captain Hook wrote:
> I would like to ask one question.
> I currently updated amavisd-new-2.5.2,1 clamav-0.90.3 in FreeBSD, and it
> turned out the speed of sending out and receiving the email becomes so slow.
>
> I discovered that amavisd-new is proceeding the virus scanning by using
> clamscan, which takes 2 process by capacity 60%-90% of CPU,
> meanwhile it takes 3 minutes to scan one email.
>
> Do you have any idea how to solve this problem?

When you restart amavisd, check /var/log/maillog and see whether it then finds
the clamd socket as the primary virus scanner, rather than just clamscan.

Double-check which users amavisd and clamd are running as-- the default ports
config seems to have clamd running as the "clamav" user, and
amavisd+SpamAssassin as "vscan". Enabling in clamd.conf
"AllowSupplimentaryGroups" option and adding the "clamav" userid to the vscan
group in /etc/groups lets them talk.

-Chuck
Re: amavisd-new + clamAV ? [ In reply to ]
On Wednesday 04 July 2007 07:45, Captain Hook wrote:
> Hi, guys,
>
> I would like to ask one question.
> I currently updated amavisd-new-2.5.2,1 clamav-0.90.3 in FreeBSD, and it
> turned out the speed of sending out and receiving the email becomes so
> slow.
>
> I discovered that amavisd-new is proceeding the virus scanning by using
> clamscan, which takes 2 process by capacity 60%-90% of CPU,
> meanwhile it takes 3 minutes to scan one email.
>
> Do you have any idea how to solve this problem?
> or how to disable clamav, since i think to skip the virus scanning process
> to make the sending email out much faster.
>
> p.s. I actually enabled clamd daemon, but it seems still use clamscan for
> scanning.
>
> The below is the information for the snippet setting of amavisd.conf:
>
> @av_scanners = (
> ### http://www.clamav.net/
> ['ClamAV-clamd',
> \&ask_daemon, ["CONTSCAN {}\n", "/var/run/clamav/clamd"],
> qr/\bOK$/, qr/\bFOUND$/,
> qr/^.*?: (?!Infected Archive)(.*) FOUND$/ ],
>
> @av_scanners_backup = (
> ### http://www.clamav.net/ - backs up clamd or Mail::ClamAV
> ['ClamAV-clamscan', 'clamscan',
> "--stdout --disable-summary -r --tempdir=$TEMPBASE {}", [0], [1],
> qr/^.*?: (?!Infected Archive)(.*) FOUND$/ ],
>

> Kevin.
> Help us build a comprehensive ClamAV guide: visit http://wiki.clamav.net
> http://lurker.clamav.net/list/clamav-users.html

The same here. I thought it was an amavis implementation of Kolab in Mandriva.
I also have f-xxx commercial in the backup scanner and its not being taken
either.

All I can do is turn of clamscan, but I need a virus scanner.
Earlier threads were not helpful.

--
Thomas
Re: amavisd-new + clamAV ? [ In reply to ]
>Captain Hook wrote:
> > I would like to ask one question.
> > I currently updated amavisd-new-2.5.2,1 clamav-0.90.3 in FreeBSD, and it
> > turned out the speed of sending out and receiving the email becomes so
>slow.
> >
> > I discovered that amavisd-new is proceeding the virus scanning by using
> > clamscan, which takes 2 process by capacity 60%-90% of CPU,
> > meanwhile it takes 3 minutes to scan one email.
> >
> > Do you have any idea how to solve this problem?
>
>When you restart amavisd, check /var/log/maillog and see whether it then
>finds
>the clamd socket as the primary virus scanner, rather than just clamscan.
>
>Double-check which users amavisd and clamd are running as-- the default
>ports
>config seems to have clamd running as the "clamav" user, and
>amavisd+SpamAssassin as "vscan". Enabling in clamd.conf
>"AllowSupplimentaryGroups" option and adding the "clamav" userid to the
>vscan
>group in /etc/groups lets them talk.
>
>Regards,
>--
>-Chuck

Exactly, exept now it's "AllowSupplementaryGroups yes".
http://www200.pair.com/mecham/spam/clamav-amavisd-new.html

Gary V

http://newlivehotmail.com

Re: amavisd-new + clamAV ? [ In reply to ]
Hi, my problem is descript in thread with subject "CPU & clamscan" also I
have forgotten of say that I use in addition freshclam..now I have amavid
running with user 'amavis' and clamscan with user 'amavis' and in the group
called 'amavis' I have user 'clamav', and I have enable parameter:

AllowSupplementaryGroups yes

..then my configuration is correct ?! ..but I have always this problem of
slowness.
Thanks.

------
Salvatore.

Re: amavisd-new + clamAV ? [ In reply to ]
Thank you for your help,

Although i didn't see which one for primary virus scanning in clamd socket
of var/log/maillog,
I added clamav userid in vscan in /etc/group, then the receiving and sending
the email becomes quite normal.

/etc/group
vscan:*:123:clamav
clamav:*:124:

I appreciate for your suggestion and sharing.

Kevin

Re: amavisd-new + clamAV ? [ In reply to ]
..but in my situation I haven't group vscan but I have group 'amavis' and in
this group is already present the user 'clamav' but the problem is still
present ! :-(
Thanks.

------
Salvatore.

Re: amavisd-new + clamAV ? [ In reply to ]
>..but in my situation I haven't group vscan but I have group 'amavis' and
>in
>this group is already present the user 'clamav' but the problem is still
>present ! :-(
>Thanks.
>
>------
>Salvatore.

I have seen that a few times before and the answer is to run clamav as
amavis. This is the second part of the howto: