Mailing List Archive

WARNING: Invalid DNS reply. Falling back to HTTP mode.
FC3, installed clamav-0.87.1 and trying to get it working.

DNS problem with freshclam.
I've read all the posts I can find to fix this, but nothing works.

I normally run DNS on my box, so I thought that was the problem.
I disabled it and set resolv.conf to look at external DNS, with same results.

I can "host" and "dig" the mirrors.

Here is the error output:

[root@box freshclam]# ./freshclam
ClamAV update process started at Wed Dec 14 11:41:40 2005
ERROR: Not a TXT record
WARNING: Invalid DNS reply. Falling back to HTTP mode.
Reading CVD header (main.cvd): OK (IMS)
main.cvd is up to date (version: 34, sigs: 39625, f-level: 5, builder: tkojm)
Reading CVD header (daily.cvd): OK (IMS)
daily.cvd is up to date (version: 1162, sigs: 1306, f-level: 6, builder:
tomek)
[root@box freshclam]#

Thanks in advanced for any helpful suggestions.

Ron
Re: WARNING: Invalid DNS reply. Falling back to HTTP mode. [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 14 Dec 2005 10:50:46 -0800 in
20051214105046.8thnjbs2pgcg088w@webmail.xmission.com
weales@xmission.com wrote:

> DNS problem with freshclam.
> I've read all the posts I can find to fix this, but nothing works.
>
> I normally run DNS on my box, so I thought that was the problem.
> I disabled it and set resolv.conf to look at external DNS, with same
> results.
>
> I can "host" and "dig" the mirrors.

And that's because they don't call the resolver library.

Do you by any chance have nscd installed and running? I had various
problems of this nature (intermittent of course) and eventually
discovered that nscd was the root cause of them all. Stop it, and
ensure that chkconfig is used to stop it starting in all runlevels.

Otherwise, I don't know for sure. Sorry.

--

Brian Morrison

bdm at fenrir dot org dot uk

GnuPG key ID DE32E5C5 - http://wwwkeys.uk.pgp.net/pgpnet/wwwkeys.html
Re: WARNING: Invalid DNS reply. Falling back to HTTP mode. [ In reply to ]
On Wednesday 14 Dec 2005 18:50, weales@xmission.com wrote:
> FC3, installed clamav-0.87.1 and trying to get it working.
>
> DNS problem with freshclam.
> I've read all the posts I can find to fix this, but nothing works.
>
> I normally run DNS on my box, so I thought that was the problem.
> I disabled it and set resolv.conf to look at external DNS, with same
> results.
>
> I can "host" and "dig" the mirrors.
>
> Here is the error output:
>
> [root@box freshclam]# ./freshclam
> ClamAV update process started at Wed Dec 14 11:41:40 2005
> ERROR: Not a TXT record
> WARNING: Invalid DNS reply. Falling back to HTTP mode.
> Reading CVD header (main.cvd): OK (IMS)
> main.cvd is up to date (version: 34, sigs: 39625, f-level: 5, builder:
> tkojm) Reading CVD header (daily.cvd): OK (IMS)
> daily.cvd is up to date (version: 1162, sigs: 1306, f-level: 6, builder:
> tomek)
> [root@box freshclam]#
>
> Thanks in advanced for any helpful suggestions.

install dnscache from djbdns. Your mailer software will appreciate it too

There is also info in the FAQ on clamav.net

--
Bob Hutchinson