Mailing List Archive

Open a door by using a Cisco ip phone
Hey all,
we would like to press a button on a 79xx phone to initiate a door opener. I've searched, but only found one commercial application (ANDtek) with no technical details. How do I connect the door opener? Do I need a PC with a serial port? Or is it some kind of analog phone with that functionality connected through an ATA? And what piece of software do I need?
And second, connecting any kind of webcam or surveillance cam to the network and watching the output on a 797x would be fine. Again, what cameras do I need, and what piece of software?

Any links?

Thanks,
Hans-Peter
Re: Open a door by using a Cisco ip phone [ In reply to ]
If I were going to do it i'd have a speed dial to a DN that rings an
analog line on an FXS port. You set up the door activation to be
triggered by ring voltage on the line and you're good to go.

For video you can set up a PC with a VTA camera, IPC, and auto-answer
enabled on the line.

-Ryan

Re: Open a door by using a Cisco ip phone [ In reply to ]
I can only talk about the door.

If your using a mag-lock system call your vendor. Then it's just a
matter of hooking it up to your ATA.

We have this kind of system and it's just DTMF from the answering phone
to the door lock system to have it open.

Scott

Re: Open a door by using a Cisco ip phone [ In reply to ]
Valcom makes single and four door control units, use a FXO interface. If
you use FXS/ATA you may have disconnect-supervision issues.

Valcom pre-sales is really good, call them.

http://www.valcom.com/doorsecurity.htm

we would like to press a button on a 79xx phone to initiate a door
opener. I've searched, but only found one commercial application
(ANDtek) with no technical details. How do I connect the door opener? Do
I need a PC with a serial port? Or is it some kind of analog phone with
that functionality connected through an ATA? And what piece of software
do I need?
And second, connecting any kind of webcam or surveillance cam to the
network and watching the output on a 797x would be fine. Again, what
cameras do I need, and what piece of software?

Any links?

Thanks,
Hans-Peter
Disclaimer:

designated addressee(s) named above only. If you are not the
unlawful. If you have received this communication in error, please
from your computer. Thank you.

Re: Open a door by using a Cisco ip phone [ In reply to ]
Ditto on Valcom presales. Very Good.

Also look at Bogen and Viking for analog devices.

Looking for a custom analog device? This company here has helped us out in the past with custom emergency phone poles for our campus. http://www.minelec.com/

Re: Open a door by using a Cisco ip phone [ In reply to ]
I just had to deal with one of these...

It was a door intercom, connected to an FXO, plarred to a shared line... The
phone rings and the people hit ** to unlock the door for a few seconds, and
*# to unlock until they hit *# again...)

Pretty straight forward... no idea who made it...

Jonathan

Re: Open a door by using a Cisco ip phone [ In reply to ]
<http://www.vic> http://www.vikingelectronics.com may have some combination
of devices suitable for what you need.

By connecting their stuff to an ATA, remote door control may be obtainable.

_____

[...]

Scanned for viruses & dangerous content at One Unified
<http://www.oneunified.net> and is believed to be clean.

--
Scanned for viruses and dangerous content at
http://www.oneunified.net and is believed to be clean.
Re: Open a door by using a Cisco ip phone [ In reply to ]
It's also possible to do it the "converged way" over IP:
http://www.barix.com/building_automation.html

Patrick