Mailing List Archive

etherchannel for UC on UCS?
Is etherchannel supported for UC on UCS? I want to make sure I'm not
planning to do anything which might impact performance.

Thanks!
Re: etherchannel for UC on UCS? [ In reply to ]
Physical Links

Redundant physical LAN interfaces are recommended.

Cisco UCS B-Series connect to the LAN via UCS 6100, so use redundant 1Gbps or 10Gbps ports on the UCS 6100.

Cisco UCS C-Series tested reference configurations<http://docwiki.cisco.com/wiki/Unified_Computing_System_Hardware> ship with two or six 1Gbps Ethernet ports (two on the motherboard for C210 or C200 plus on C210 additional four on a PCIe NIC). The recommended best practice configuration when using this tested reference configuration is:
§ One or two pairs of teamed NICs for UC VM traffic. One pair is usually sufficient on C200 due to the low load per VM.
§ One pair of NICs (teamed or dedicated) for VMware-specific traffic (e.g. management, vMotion, VMware High Availability, etc.)
[cid:image001.png@01CD3F43.5138AD40]<http://docwiki.cisco.com/wiki/File:NotePencil.gif>

Note:

On a server with both LOM and PCIe NIC ports, when creating a NIC teaming pair, use one port from the LOM and one from the PCIe. This splits the team across the motherboard and PCIe card, and protects against a failure of either PCIe card or the motherboard ports.

If using specs-based VMware support, other LAN interconnect options may be used, such as using Cisco VIC in NIV mode instead of multiple physical NICs.

http://docwiki.cisco.com/wiki/QoS_Design_Considerations_for_Virtual_UC_with_UCS

Jorge Rodriguez Aguila, CCVP-Voice
Senior Voice/Data Consultant
Netxar Technologies
jorge.rodriguez@netxar.com<mailto:jorge.rodriguez@netxar.com>
787-688-8530

Re: etherchannel for UC on UCS? [ In reply to ]
thanks! I guess I didn't read carefully on this one.

Re: etherchannel for UC on UCS? [ In reply to ]
No worries, that wiki site is a bit convoluted and it tends to happen.

Jorge

[cid:image001.png@01CD3F44.F974CD80]<http://docwiki.cisco.com/wiki/File:NotePencil.gif>

Note:

On a server with both LOM and PCIe NIC ports, when creating a NIC teaming pair, use one port from the LOM and one from the PCIe. This splits the team across the motherboard and PCIe card, and protects against a failure of either PCIe card or the motherboard ports.

If using specs-based VMware support, other LAN interconnect options may be used, such as using Cisco VIC in NIV mode instead of multiple physical NICs.

http://docwiki.cisco.com/wiki/QoS_Design_Considerations_for_Virtual_UC_with_UCS

Jorge Rodriguez Aguila, CCVP-Voice
Senior Voice/Data Consultant
Netxar Technologies