Can I know what is the different between write mem and
copy run start

Thank you for your help

Re: write mem vs copy run start [ In reply to ]
On Monday 13 October 2008 07:04:07 adrian kok wrote:

> Can I know what is the different between write mem and
> copy run start

One is the old format (write memory), while the other is the
new format (copy run start).

I prefer to use the newer one, others prefer the older one.
Both do the same thing. Choose your poison.

I would, however, encourage you to use the new one if it's
not too much trouble.

By having both, I'm not sure whether Cisco will phase 'write
memory' out (that'd probably cause more harm than good, in
the short term at least).

What I do know is that Cisco will test for the 'copy'
command in their exams instead.

Cheers,

Mark.
Re: write mem vs copy run start [ In reply to ]
Hi,

On Mon, Oct 13, 2008 at 07:04:07AM +0800, adrian kok wrote:
> Can I know what is the different between write mem and
> copy run start

Lots of different letters being used.

Regarding actual effect: both commands do the very same thing. "wr mem"
is the "IOS 10.x style" command, while "copy X Y" is the grand unified
way of moving things that has been introduced later on.

gert
//www.muc.de/~gert/
Gert Doering - Munich, Germany gert@greenie.muc.de
fax: +49-89-35655025 gert@net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de
Re: write mem vs copy run start [ In reply to ]
I use just "wr" for saving configuration, much shorter, and I'll keep using it until it stops doing what I need, the day Cisco makes this command obsolete I'll start using the longer ones...
Same case with "wr net" which I use to manually save configurations to a tftp server, for about 5 years now, every time I use this command I get this warning:
This command has been replaced by the command:
'copy system:/running-config <url>'

And I say, as long as this command is still available, why should I start using the new, longer one?
To Cisco guys I'd say If you want to stop supporting a certain command and want to move on to new commands format, why keep stucking the old commands in the new IOSes???
I know that you need backward compatibility, but geesh, I'm talking about 5 years since I'ev got the first warning about the tftp write command...

Ziv

Re: write mem vs copy run start [ In reply to ]
adrian kok wrote:
> Hi
>
> Can I know what is the different between write mem and
> copy run start

None.

*Except* "wr mem" can be easily used from TCL scripts. "copy" commands
often want CLI input.