Mailing List Archive

Cisco FTP
I've been having problems with Cisco's FTP servers (ftp.cisco.com and
ftp-sj.cisco.com) using Windows and IOS clients in that I can log in,
but cannot list the contents of any directories, nor can I get a file
if I know the location of it. I can download files without any
problems using HTTP. Am I doing something wrong/missing something
obvious?

-michael
Re: Cisco FTP [ In reply to ]
Cisco doesn't care about distribution via FTP anymore.

On Mon, Jun 06, 2005 at 04:59:09PM -0400, Michael Costello wrote:
> I've been having problems with Cisco's FTP servers (ftp.cisco.com and
> ftp-sj.cisco.com) using Windows and IOS clients in that I can log in,
> but cannot list the contents of any directories, nor can I get a file
> if I know the location of it. I can download files without any
> problems using HTTP. Am I doing something wrong/missing something
> obvious?
>
> -michael
>
> _______________________________________________
> cisco-nsp mailing list cisco-nsp@puck.nether.net
> https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp
> archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/

--
Jared Mauch | pgp key available via finger from jared@puck.nether.net
clue++; | http://puck.nether.net/~jared/ My statements are only mine.
Re: Cisco FTP [ In reply to ]
Cisco wants you to access the ftp via links on the Cisco site
(registered users only) so that they ensure you comply with their
licenses each time you download...

Jared Mauch wrote:

> Cisco doesn't care about distribution via FTP anymore.
>
>On Mon, Jun 06, 2005 at 04:59:09PM -0400, Michael Costello wrote:
>
>
>>I've been having problems with Cisco's FTP servers (ftp.cisco.com and
>>ftp-sj.cisco.com) using Windows and IOS clients in that I can log in,
>>but cannot list the contents of any directories, nor can I get a file
>>if I know the location of it. I can download files without any
>>problems using HTTP. Am I doing something wrong/missing something
>>obvious?
>>
>>-michael
>>
>>_______________________________________________
>>cisco-nsp mailing list cisco-nsp@puck.nether.net
>>https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp
>>archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/
>>
>>
>
>
>
Re: Cisco FTP [ In reply to ]
Michael Costello <michael.costello@gmail.com> wrote on 06/06/2005 04:59:09
PM:

> I've been having problems with Cisco's FTP servers (ftp.cisco.com and
> ftp-sj.cisco.com) using Windows and IOS clients in that I can log in,
> but cannot list the contents of any directories, nor can I get a file
> if I know the location of it. I can download files without any
> problems using HTTP. Am I doing something wrong/missing something
> obvious?

You need an ftp client that does passive mode (like filezilla -
http://filezilla.sourceforge.net/) . Then log into ftp-sj.cisco.com with
your cisco userid/password and poke around in the /cisco directory

I've heard that wget also works - never tried it tho.

Lee
Re: Cisco FTP [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 6 Jun 2005, Michael Costello wrote:

> I've been having problems with Cisco's FTP servers (ftp.cisco.com and
> ftp-sj.cisco.com) using Windows and IOS clients in that I can log in,
> but cannot list the contents of any directories, nor can I get a file
> if I know the location of it. I can download files without any
> problems using HTTP. Am I doing something wrong/missing something
> obvious?

After you log in, at the ftp> prompt type:

quote pasv


--
Jay Hennigan - CCIE #7880 - Network Administration - jay@west.net
WestNet: Connecting you to the planet. 805 884-6323 WB6RDV
NetLojix Communications, Inc. - http://www.netlojix.com/
RE: Cisco FTP [ In reply to ]
That doesn't work when doing "copy ftp disk2:" for example. If you can do
that with IOS... Send code!!

I just noticed the same problem Sunday morning trying to do an upgrade
across the country. I figured a FTP from Los Angeles to San Jose would be
quicker than a tftp/ftp from the east coast to LA. I wasn't able to find
out :(

-Eric

> -----Original Message-----
> From: cisco-nsp-bounces@puck.nether.net [mailto:cisco-nsp-
> bounces@puck.nether.net] On Behalf Of Jay Hennigan
> Sent: Monday, June 06, 2005 6:27 PM
> To: Michael Costello
> Cc: cisco-nsp@puck.nether.net
> Subject: Re: [c-nsp] Cisco FTP
>
> On Mon, 6 Jun 2005, Michael Costello wrote:
>
> > I've been having problems with Cisco's FTP servers (ftp.cisco.com and
> > ftp-sj.cisco.com) using Windows and IOS clients in that I can log in,
> > but cannot list the contents of any directories, nor can I get a file
> > if I know the location of it. I can download files without any
> > problems using HTTP. Am I doing something wrong/missing something
> > obvious?
>
> After you log in, at the ftp> prompt type:
>
> quote pasv
>
>
> --
> Jay Hennigan - CCIE #7880 - Network Administration - jay@west.net
> WestNet: Connecting you to the planet. 805 884-6323 WB6RDV
> NetLojix Communications, Inc. - http://www.netlojix.com/
> _______________________________________________
> cisco-nsp mailing list cisco-nsp@puck.nether.net
> https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp
> archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/
Re: Cisco FTP [ In reply to ]
On 06/06/05, Eric Pylko <eric@infinitenetworks.us> wrote:
> That doesn't work when doing "copy ftp disk2:" for example. If you can do
> that with IOS... Send code!!

conf t
ip ftp passive

Forcing IOS into passive mode is getting me a little further along (as
shown by debug ip ftp). I'll post results and debug output later if
it looks interesting or relevant.
Re: Cisco FTP [ In reply to ]
> Forcing IOS into passive mode is getting me a little further along (as
> shown by debug ip ftp). I'll post results and debug output later if
> it looks interesting or relevant.


Passive mode from the router client to a FreeBSD box running ftpd
worked. Thank you all for your help.

For anyone interested or willing to explain why certain transfers
failed, I have included debugging output below.

-michael

Here is the sanitized output from 'debug ip ftp' when unsuccessfully
trying to connect to ftp-sj.cisco.com (which is identical to the
output when I tried to use a Windows laptop running either WS_FTP or
Golden FTP).

<snip>
*Mar 2 17:22:20.309: FTP: 227 Entering Passive Mode (198,133,219,27,194,156)
*Mar 2 17:22:20.397: FTP: ---> RETR
cisco/ios/12.3/12.3.6e/7200/c7200-js-mz.123-6e.bin
*Mar 2 17:22:20.613: FTP: 150 Opening BINARY mode data connection for
cisco/ios/12.3/12.3.6e/7200/c7200-js-mz.123-6e.bin
*Mar 2 17:22:20.613: FTP: ---> ABOR
%Error opening ftp://username:password@198.133.219.27/cisco/ios/12.3/12.3.6e/7200/c7200-js-mz.123-6e.bin
(Undefined error)
Router#
*Mar 2 17:22:22.617: FTP: 550
cisco/ios/12.3/12.3.6e/7200/c7200-js-mz.123-6e.bin: No such file or
directory
*Mar 2 17:22:22.617: FTP: ---> QUIT
*Mar 2 17:22:22.621: FTP: 500 BOR: Command not recognized


Here is the sanitized output from 'debug ip ftp' when successfully
connecting to my FTP server.

<snip>
*Mar 2 17:45:17.365: FTP: 227 Entering Passive Mode (w,x,y,z,192,9))
*Mar 2 17:45:17.429: FTP: ---> RETR pub/test.txt
*Mar 2 17:45:17.505: FTP: 150 Opening BINARY mode data connection for
'pub/test.txt' (10 bytes).
*Mar 2 17:45:17.509: FTP: ---> QUIT
*Mar 2 17:45:17.509: FTP: 226 Transfer complete.
[OK - 10/4096 bytes]
10 bytes copied in 1.744 secs (6 bytes/sec)
*Mar 2 17:45:17.757: FTP: 220 server FTP server (Version 6.00LS) ready.
*Mar 2 17:45:17.757: FTP: ---> USER anonymous
*Mar 2 17:45:17.821: FTP: 331 Guest login ok, send your email address
as password.
*Mar 2 17:45:17.821: FTP: ---> PASS foo
*Mar 2 17:45:17.957: FTP: 230 Guest login ok, access restrictions apply.
*Mar 2 17:45:17.957: FTP: ---> TYPE I
*Mar 2 17:45:18.017: FTP: 200 Type set to I.
*Mar 2 17:45:18.017: FTP: ---> PASV
*Mar 2 17:45:18.085: FTP: 227 Entering Passive Mode (w,x,y,z,192,13))
*Mar 2 17:45:18.149: FTP: ---> RETR pub/test.txt
*Mar 2 17:45:18.217: FTP: 150 Opening BINARY mode data connection for
'pub/test.txt' (10 bytes).
*Mar 2 17:45:18.221: FTP: ---> QUIT
*Mar 2 17:45:18.221: FTP: 226 Transfer complete.