Mailing List Archive

Cisco Nexus 5548UP w/Fibre Channel
Hello,
I'm wondering if anyone has any experience/tips/advice when running Fibre Channel on the Nexus 5548UP platform. I've done a little bit of research, and understand that the FC ports have to start at the back end of the chassis, and that to switch a port from Ethernet mode over to FC mode, you need to reload the whole switch. However, I'm wondering if there are any other operational issues anybody has run into (IOS bugs, issues with certain SFPs, things to test/watch out for, etc). We've always had a separate storage fabric from the main data fabric, so it's a new thing to have them both living on the same switch.

Thanks and best regards,
Christoph Blecker
Re: Cisco Nexus 5548UP w/Fibre Channel [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 24 May 2012 20:30:40 +0000, you wrote:

> I'm wondering if anyone has any experience/tips/advice when running
> Fibre Channel on the Nexus 5548UP platform.

Yeah, we have customers doing that and do that ourselves.

> I've done a little bit of research, and understand that the FC ports
> have to start at the back end of the chassis, and that to switch a
> port from Ethernet mode over to FC mode, you need to reload the whole
> switch.

Yeah, currently the ports have to be contiguous, and with FC at the
high end. If you use a module, you don't have to reload the whole
switch when changing the configuration. You can just reset the module.
When running FCoE, you don't have to reset/reload anything.

To me, FC and FCoE on the N5000s is pretty mature and absolutely
production ready.

-A

Re: Cisco Nexus 5548UP w/Fibre Channel [ In reply to ]
Reset/reload of N5K is very fast right?

Regards,
Alexander Lim