Mailing List Archive

SSH no longer functions after hostname change
Hello-

We recently changed some of our hostnames on various legacy switches to follow our naming convention, and after one change I can no longer SSH to the switch.

I get the below errors on the console with debug ip ssh client running:

Aug 10 11:23:44 EST: SSH5: sent protocol version id SSH-2.0-Cisco-1.25
Aug 10 11:23:44 EST: SSH5: protocol version id is - SSH-2.0-OpenSSH_4.3
Aug 10 11:23:44 EST: SSH2 5: RSA_sign: private key not found
Aug 10 11:23:44 EST: SSH2 5: signature creation failed, status -1
Aug 10 11:23:44 EST: SSH5: Session disconnected - error 0x00

I zero'ized the old keys and re-generated as well as set the hostname back to the original and zero'ized and re-generated to no avail. Nothing shows up on Google and I can find no errata related to SSH access on the version of code we are running.

Has anyone encountered this before? This is a 3750 running 12.2(44)SE2

Jon Wolberg
Systems Engineer
Virtacore Systems Inc.
"We Virtualize IT!"
Re: SSH no longer functions after hostname change [ In reply to ]
Normally all we do is a "crypto key gen rsa" if a hostname changes and we
continue on... this regens the keys and stops/starts the SSH process....

Paul

Re: SSH no longer functions after hostname change [ In reply to ]
Hi Paul-

The funny thing is this is the only switch causing problems. We changed the hostnames on over a dozen others without any issues.

I tried re-generating the keys to no avail.

Re: SSH no longer functions after hostname change [ In reply to ]
I hate to mention this as an option, but have you rebooted it yet?

-ryan

Re: SSH no longer functions after hostname change [ In reply to ]
Hi Ryan/Paul-

Not without scheduling a maintenance window which I was hoping to avoid. I am sure a reload would fix the problem as i'd also use it as an opportunity to upgrade the code since I am a half dozen revs behind and have switches running newer versions without any stability issues.

Re: SSH no longer functions after hostname change [ In reply to ]
You should call TAC and your SE/AM as well to insure they capture what
happened to avoid this defect in the future. You may also be able to
entirely disable/restart the SSH subsystem, or at least make sure they
have the ability to restart it. If Cisco doesn't make progress on
this front, I'm not sure how they will continue to survive. The
internet of 2000 and later really needs protected memory and
restartable processes instead of the old tech support "have you turned
it off and back on again" policy of dealing with defects. While that
has a place, certainly this is not one of them.

- Jared

Re: SSH no longer functions after hostname change [ In reply to ]
We saw similar symptoms on cat6k; even a reboot & regen rssa key did not
fix the ssh issue; turned out to be some sort of conflict with IP SLA,
removed that then all was working.

Regards,
Ge Moua | Email: moua0100@umn.edu

Network Design Engineer
University of Minnesota | Networking & Telecommunications Services

Re: SSH no longer functions after hostname change [ In reply to ]
Jared-

Unfortunately we do not have SmartNET for this specific device, although we do have coverage for our higher up infrastructure. I do not know Cisco's policy on supporting devices without a contract but I highly doubt they would work with me to a resolution without an existing SmartNET contract for this device.

I will try JF's solution ( I did this already but did not do it in the specific order he mentioned ) and then schedule a reload if that fails.

Thanks.

Re: SSH no longer functions after hostname change [ In reply to ]
All-

Using the exact order that JF listed below it worked perfect and resolved my issue. I can now SSH to this device again.

Thanks.

Jon Wolberg
Systems Engineer
Virtacore Systems Inc.
"We Virtualize IT!"

We experienced this problem on a 3550 12g several years ago. We solved
it by temporarily changing the configured hostname back, zeroing the
key, changing the hostname again, and regenerating.

Re: SSH no longer functions after hostname change [ In reply to ]
Jon,

What is different with respect to software version, SSH config &
platform between this swtich and the dozen others that (could be
seeing a similar problem but) aren't?

-Eninja

Re: SSH no longer functions after hostname change [ In reply to ]
Hello-

Nothing, they are all identical switches running the same IOS.

Jon Wolberg
Systems Engineer
Virtacore Systems Inc.
"We Virtualize IT!"

Re: SSH no longer functions after hostname change [ In reply to ]
I know you have to have a hostname configured to generate a key on the box, so it's obviously using the hostname at some level in the key.
Whenever I change a hostname I've experienced the same result, but regenerating the key always fixes the problem. "crypto key gen rsa" as someone mentioned earlier.

Tony Underwood
Cambium Data Inc.
5050 So. 111th St.
Omaha, NE 68137
(402) 514-3201
(402) 960-3107 - C
http://www.CambiumData.com

Re: SSH no longer functions after hostname change [ In reply to ]
That should be the exact procedure to follow when changing hostnames, even if on most devices there are no problems, the best is to follow this sequence

1. Zeroize the key
2. Change hostname
3. Generate a new key

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4324 (20090811) __________