well. Is there a public repo for the site?

Thanx!

--Toby

Re: Wiki down [ In reply to ]
Well volunteered!

On Tue, Mar 6, 2012 at 1:29 AM, Tobias Kremer <tobias.kremer@gmail.com> wrote:
> Just a heads up: The Catalyst wiki is down since at least yesterday.
> Does nobody monitor these things? Compared to other frameworks, the
> whole site looks horrible enough, we should at least try to keep it
> working. Links to MetaCPAN instead of plain old CPAN would be nice as
> well. Is there a public repo for the site?
>
> Thanx!
>
> --Toby

Devin Austin
http://www.dhoss.net
9702906669 - Cell

Re: Wiki down [ In reply to ]
If you point me to a repo of the site...

--Toby

Re: Wiki down [ In reply to ]
I've asked yesterday at #catalyst and it seems to be unmodified mojomojo
installation. The reason it's 503ing sometimes is probably memory leak. You
can ask there to get more information.

Dimi

Re: Wiki down [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Mar 7, 2012 at 8:51 AM, Dimitar Petrov <mitakaa@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've asked yesterday at #catalyst and it seems to be unmodified mojomojo
> installation. The reason it's 503ing sometimes is probably memory leak. You
> can ask there to get more information.

Thanks Dimitar, but I'm certainly not going to fix memory leaks in an
IMHO broken wiki software which compared to other alternatives never
really worked that well in the first place (and I've done my fair
share of edits in it). No offense to the creators/maintainers.
Unfortunately, migrating to a more widely used software (which just
works) is probably unwanted (because it probably isn't written in
Perl) and non-trivial.

And before everyone starts shouting "well volunteered" because I'm
obviously just ranting and not doing anything to change the situation,
here's one I prepared earlier (couple of years ago TBH) which
unfortunately never saw the light of day:
http://www.funkreich.de/catalyst/

Sorry for getting all emotional, but I'm somewhat frustrated that the
leading Perl MVC framework still has that same old pathetic and often
broken website. Is this something somebody is already working on?

--Toby

Re: Wiki down [ In reply to ]
Toby, as far as I know t0m want to fix that issue once he got little bit
more time.

I was not pointing at you to fix that issue actually. After I've mentioned
that yesterday in #catalyst, Marcus Bamberg (marcus) noted that he got a
few other wikis and he never experienced such a problem and I think no one
reported memory leaks in mojomojo.

I fully agree with everything that you've said already and I really think
that Catalyst (and actually not only Catalyst, but Perl as well) should be
working a little bit harder of the marketing side and the first impression.

Would you mind joining #catalyst at irc.perl.org and discuss that over
there? :)

PS: Both designs are great... +1 vote for version 1 :)

Cheers,
Dimitar

Re: Wiki down [ In reply to ]
ShinyCMS? www.shinycms.org

From themain page.
ShinyCMS is built in Perl using the Catalyst framework.

\\||/
Rod

Re: Wiki down [ In reply to ]
I've been very happy using http://ikiwiki.info/, written in Perl, the backend is conveniently a git repo.

--Peter

Re: Wiki down [ In reply to ]
MojoMojo

Re: Wiki down [ In reply to ]
Sorry for previous cut message

MojoMojo is not a broken software !
Its problably the most finished open source software made with catalyst (
thanks to Marcus Ramberg ).
None of my mojomojo install have memory leaks ( ~10 wiki )

I use it since a lot time on differents website as a wiki or a cms.
It could be easy use it for the front catalyst site with your design.

If more people (including me) make their final app open-source and let
community get involved the marketing of catalyst and perl could be easier.

my 2cts

Le 7 mars 2012 18:05, pierrick dintrat <pierrick.dintrat@gmail.com> a écrit
:

Re: Wiki down [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Mar 7, 2012 at 10:20 AM, pierrick dintrat
<pierrick.dintrat@gmail.com> wrote:
> Sorry for previous cut message
>
> MojoMojo is not a broken software !
> Its problably the most finished open source software made with catalyst (
> thanks to Marcus Ramberg ).
> None of my mojomojo install have memory leaks ( ~10 wiki )
>
> I use it since a lot time on differents website as a wiki or a cms.
> It could be easy use it for the front catalyst site with your design.
>
> If more people (including me) make their final app open-source and let
> community get involved the marketing of catalyst and perl could be easier.
>
> my 2cts
>
> Le 7 mars 2012 18:05, pierrick dintrat <pierrick.dintrat@gmail.com> a écrit
> :
>
>> MojoMojo

>>> Thanks Dimitar, but I'm certainly not going to fix memory leaks in an
>>> IMHO broken wiki software which compared to other alternatives never
>>> really worked that well in the first place (and I've done my fair
>>> share of edits in it). No offense to the creators/maintainers.
>>> Unfortunately, migrating to a more widely used software (which just
>>> works) is probably unwanted (because it probably isn't written in
>>> Perl) and non-trivial.
>>>
>>> And before everyone starts shouting "well volunteered" because I'm
>>> obviously just ranting and not doing anything to change the situation,
>>> here's one I prepared earlier (couple of years ago TBH) which
>>> unfortunately never saw the light of day:
>>> http://www.funkreich.de/catalyst/
>>>
>>> Sorry for getting all emotional, but I'm somewhat frustrated that the
>>> leading Perl MVC framework still has that same old pathetic and often
>>> broken website. Is this something somebody is already working on?
>>>
>>> --Toby

>>> Searchable archive:
>>> http://www.mail-archive.com/catalyst@lists.scsys.co.uk/
>>> Dev site: http://dev.catalyst.perl.org/

Tobias,

I think it's a great thing you are concerned and passionate about
this. I too agree that the leading Perl web framework deserves better
representation.

This is going to be brief as I have loads of work to get to, but I
like version 1.0 of the site revamps you pointed the list to.

I'll follow this up later with suggestions as far as the wiki goes.

-Devin

--
Devin Austin
http://www.dhoss.net

Re: Wiki down [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Mar 7, 2012 at 11:06 AM, Devin Austin <devin.austin@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 7, 2012 at 10:20 AM, pierrick dintrat
> <pierrick.dintrat@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Sorry for previous cut message
>>
>> MojoMojo is not a broken software !
>> Its problably the most finished open source software made with catalyst (
>> thanks to Marcus Ramberg ).
>> None of my mojomojo install have memory leaks ( ~10 wiki )
>>
>> I use it since a lot time on differents website as a wiki or a cms.
>> It could be easy use it for the front catalyst site with your design.
>>
>> If more people (including me) make their final app open-source and let
>> community get involved the marketing of catalyst and perl could be easier.
>>
>> my 2cts
>>
>> Le 7 mars 2012 18:05, pierrick dintrat <pierrick.dintrat@gmail.com> a écrit
>> :
>>
>>> MojoMojo

> Tobias,
>
> I think it's a great thing you are concerned and passionate about
> this.  I too agree that the leading Perl web framework deserves better
> representation.
>
> This is going to be brief as I have loads of work to get to, but I
> like version 1.0 of the site revamps you pointed the list to.
>
> I'll follow this up later with suggestions as far as the wiki goes.
>
> -Devin
>
> --
> Devin Austin
> http://www.dhoss.net
> 9702906669 - Cell

Tobias:

svn co http://dev.catalyst.perl.org/repos/Catalyst/trunk/site

It's all live deploy, so try not to break anything :-)

--
Devin Austin
http://www.dhoss.net

Re: Wiki down [ In reply to ]
> It's all live deploy, so try not to break anything :-)

Cheers, Devin! I'll see what I can do. ;-)

--Toby

Re: Wiki down [ In reply to ]
I could probably help, also we can add a new theme for MojoMojo

Dimitar

Re: Wiki down [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Mar 7, 2012 at 10:19 AM, Roderick A. Anderson
<raanders42@gmail.com> wrote:
> ShinyCMS? www.shinycms.org

We got tired of CMS and decided to build something very simple with
Catalyst. We would gladly offer the hosting space a pre-confugred
"EzCat" to host the Catalyst Web content. For Wiki, we could offer to
host a MediaWiki site. We work a lot with Catalyst so we feel it's the
least we can do.

Re: Wiki down [ In reply to ]
For now, I've checked in an updated, static HTML5 version of my redesign proposal (beta directory). Can somebody push this live, so we can all test it? Thanx!

I guess it would be quite a bit of work to migrate the wiki data from MojoMojo to something else... Maybe we can just tweak the wiki's layout a bit.

--Toby