VirtualBox and the tutorial according to the instructions on the
shadowcat website. Everything seems to work, except there is no
network connection, only the local loopback, lo 127.0.0.1.

Then I installed a Debian VM (same version as the Catalyst Tutorial),
and that works fine, meaning the Bridged Adapter gives a network
connection with an IP from my DHCP server.

Any suggestions?

-Bill

Re: Tutorial Woes on OS X [ In reply to ]
Parallels
... works for me.

Re: Tutorial Woes on OS X [ In reply to ]
Good morning,

On 22/09/11 at 3:58 PM -0400, Bill Birkett
<wbblists@doplganger.com> wrote:

>I'm trying to run the Catalyst Tutorial on OS X. I installed
>VirtualBox and the tutorial according to the instructions on
>the shadowcat website. Everything seems to work, except there
>is no network connection, only the local loopback, lo 127.0.0.1.

Why do you need to install in a VM? Why not just install for
OSX? You probably want your own perl (not system's perl) but
that's easy to do with perlbrew.

Charlie

--
Ꮚ Charlie Garrison ♊ <garrison@zeta.org.au>

〠 http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1855.txt

Re: Tutorial Woes on OS X [ In reply to ]
What version of Parallels are you running? I was unable to migrate
the VM using Build 5.0.9376.

Re: Tutorial Woes on OS X [ In reply to ]
Thanks for suggesting perlbrew. Sounds like a good solution.

The tutorial VM is strongly recommended in the
tutorial documentation, which is why I went down
that path.

Re: Tutorial Woes on OS X [ In reply to ]
I installed a working copy of Perl with perlbrew,
cpan'd the tutorial modules and svn'd the
tutorial test files. Two hours and one missing
module later, success.

Re: Tutorial Woes on OS X [ In reply to ]
I'm running Lion (10.7.1) so I upgraded Parallels to v.7. When you download and unarchive the vm archive, it won't have the parallels format, but Parallels will reformat CatalystTutorial.vmdk file and add it to it's list of VMs.

best of luck,
Tom
MMI DNA Services Core Facility
503-494-2442